crank no start issue need help asap

ahalee84

hi i have a shop we work on alot Sprinters we have this 2014 2.1L :bash:for one of my accounts it got towed in he picked up bad diesel so clogged the filter and fuel pump so i replaced the fuel pump assembly fuel filter blew out all the fuel lines primed the system with Fresh Diesel activated the fuel pump with the XENTRY it ran for 1 hour idling then stopped check fuel filter and fuel pump again there clean now it just cranks no start and i have no dtcs i checked for injector pulse and nothing also check injector activity with the XENTRY SHOWED all injectors to be dead i checked resistance in the harness and came out fine according to the specs in the Xentry so as of right now i am lost and checked everything i could think of i even reset all adaptations for everything on the truck still no start but if i spray starting fluid itll start for a few seconds ... please if some on can help or guide me i would greatly appreciate it :bash::censored::yell::crazy:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Was the fuel rail contaminated? If so its possible that some crap jammed up the fuel rail pressure control solenoid/valve. This could cause low pressure as well. Just a few ideas.

Any chance someone disconnected the camshaft position sensor or similar? Sometimes its the simple things.

lindenengineering

You have low rail pressure!
I suspect you have injectors stuck open!
Take off the leak off rail from each injector & clamp it down up stream to isolate it from the rest of the fuel system--with everything else connected crank the engine!
If they are stuck open or sticking you will get a huge spurt of air and fuel out of the affected injectors at the leak off stub(s)! Essentially the piston(s) push compressed air up from the combustion chamber through the injector --cos its stuck! open!!
Try that test first!
Last one I had had all six stuck wide open--No workee! No firee!
They are a $3500 pop for all six!
Dennis

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Regardless, you probably need at least 200bar to start the engine. Low pressure like you are seeing is probably being caused by injector(s) or the fuel rail solenoid leaking too much fuel back to the return.

As Linden Engineering suggests, can you connect a clear hose to the injector leak/return and/or the pressure solenoid return, and check for excessive fuel or combustion gas? These common rail systems are fairly similar as far as design.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Do you have a diagnostic manual for this engine? What does it suggest for low fuel pressure and no start condition? Does the Manual have a spec for fuel leak back volume? What is the minimum fuel pressure requirement for starting?

It does not take much fuel leak back to result in low fuel pressure. I don't have access to any of the manuals for this engine, so I can't provide much more advice than this.

ahalee84

there is very little fuel coming back in the return i bled the system it wanted to start the went back to just cranking

Top Bottom