Fixing a broken plastic dash vent louver

... plus I think at least one of the holes that the pins of the louvers go into on one side is broken out, so even with a pin repair of louver I would still have an issue on at least one.
I have one louver with the bottom of the hole broken out. My plan is to attempt a repair using the super glue and baking soda trick. I'm going to use a toothpick to apply some Vaseline on the pin as release compound. The trick will be to not get so much Vaseline around that it interferes with the repair bond.

:2cents: vic

Kbonk

This passenger side OEM part found here, can be bought below for https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MERCED...344746&hash=item523db4f27c:g:r4sAAOSwWVxezlGK. for $117.05 here https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mercedes-benz-parts/covering/9016801607/

This is still the Shelf version and not the passenger airbag version so I guess that is not available anywhere and the removal of vent only as Kbonk did and moving it to the old airbag version and retrofitting is the only way to remedy this issue?
I almost have the right side done, first prints look great. Trying to source a spray bomb color to match OEM plastic now. Depending on how much of your pin retainer got blown out it shouldn't matter the pin retainers have alot of extra room behind them. (the louver is what retains the pin right to left) I would say extending the pin on the blown out one will resolve your problem.

Kbonk

I have one louver with the bottom of the hole broken out. My plan is to attempt a repair using the super glue and baking soda trick. I'm going to use a toothpick to apply some Vaseline on the pin as release compound. The trick will be to not get so much Vaseline around that it interferes with the repair bond.

:2cents: vic
Vic, a ABS slurry can be made from sanding or filing of ABS and Acetone. Silicon jacketed wire might be perfect for your in fill of the void. I also had the blow out on some of mine. Since the factory louver pins are so short I just extended the pin on that side, the rear clam shell held the louver centered. I will try to get your set out this week.

I would not give a heck about color matching, if I could acquire a drop in air vent louver, for the vent closest to the passenger side window, but that is just me.

Thanks for whatever progress you have made Kbonk.

A couple of my broken louvers are resting down the vent hole. I have no illusions that they can be recovered. Gravity works. 06 2500 T1N.

Kbonk

I would not give a heck about color matching, if I could acquire a drop in air vent louver, for the vent closest to the passenger side window, but that is just me.

Thanks for whatever progress you have made Kbonk.

A couple of my broken louvers are resting down the vent hole. I have no illusions that they can be recovered. Gravity works. 06 2500 T1N.
did you try using a vacuum, with a stocking over it to suck them out? I just finished the left set, DM me with your requirements.

Dr. No

Does anyone know of a source for the valve behind the louvers? Or at least the connecting crank between the wheel and the flap?

Dr. No

Nope. It is not part of the louver/vent surround/dashboard. It is the control valve for the vent and goes between the louvers and the duct.
I found my own answer (took more time to find the right name). Each of the four is a different part but you can find them from here:

Apparently "outlet air" is the appropriate name. Not "control flap" or all the other things we call them. And they are strangely cheap!

My 06 T1N passenger side vent closest to the window is completely open. Any chance for a drop in vent louver piece that does not require tearing the dash apart?

I have been considering making a screen of sorts to cover that hole until something better comes along. As for a past question about using a vacuum to suck out some vent pieces, that will not work. I think I am missing a couple, and they are too deep to recover.

A drop-in louver replacement would be ideal. I did replace this same vents louver pieces years ago and ti worked until a lady friend put their feet and shoes up on the dash. Grrr. My bad. I will not hesitate to tell any passenger to take care to not put their feet on the vents from here on. Live and learn.

Kbonk

My 06 T1N passenger side vent closest to the window is completely open. Any chance for a drop in vent louver piece that does not require tearing the dash apart?

I have been considering making a screen of sorts to cover that hole until something better comes along. As for a past question about using a vacuum to suck out some vent pieces, that will not work. I think I am missing a couple, and they are too deep to recover.

A drop-in louver replacement would be ideal. I did replace this same vents louver pieces years ago and ti worked until a lady friend put their feet and shoes up on the dash. Grrr. My bad. I will not hesitate to tell any passenger to take care to not put their feet on the vents from here on. Live and learn.
As designed by MB they are held in place from the rear, so some disassembly required. its not that hard
I have seen it 3D printed on someone van. Color was little bit different.B7D65BF0-796D-4D02-8D76-31E320F660E1.jpeg485AE120-BD94-4BF2-8CD2-843D40C4B0C1.jpeg50F2F39A-597E-4BE0-AC51-C087D9A410EB.jpeg
this is my repair

Kbonk

As designed by MB they are held in place from the rear, so some disassembly required. its not that hard, few torx, a Dremel, a
I just ripped off all the louvers and have holes.
It would be cool to have a 3d printed one piece that would snap right into the void.
if you engineer it send me your design I'll see if it works i have kicked it around and dont see a fix simpler than what I did.

Kbonk

Additional info I added solid Stainless steel pins in my repair, know its puppy proof.

Top Bottom