Sprinter 04 - Doesn't Start, No crank, No one can solve the problem still..

LaelFreitas

Hello, and thanks for checking out this post on a Sprinter intermittent no start, no crank issue. The vehicle in question this time is a high-mileage 187.900, Sprinter 2004 25000 with a diesel engine. The problem cropped up with no apparent pattern, failing to crank at random times, and would often go some time with no problem.

Oddly, when a no crank event happened, the electric A/C fan would run at key on, then nothing would happen when the key was further turned to start.

I took it to a Dodge in Fort Myers and they diagnosed as a problem in a ECM Module with an estimate of $ 2.500.00

I didn’t authorized the job and took the ECM to a specialized repair shop.

I brought the ECM to a specialized guy that repair ECM..they said that the PCM has no problem.

After this 2 hands touched the Sprinter, it doesn’t start again. No crank, nothing…just light on the dashboard, but no crank or sound that it’s going to start.

So, I read in a post (google) this….

“The starter relay is located behind the access panel under the driver seat. If you hold onto a starter relay and turn the key to start, you can feel the relay click when it energizes. That doesn't mean it is necessarily putting out power, but you know it has power and ground to energize it. This one was not clicking during a no crank, so the problem had to be between the key switch and the relay.”

If a press (ground it) the relay under the seat, the car starts crank, but the engine doesn’t start….

I towed the truck to Freighliner in pompano beach…now they said that is a problem with WSP, that need to be reprogrammed…But they said that they are going to start from THERE…

In my mind I think they are not sure still what is the problem with the van.

I’ve been reading so many things on the internet…but can’t figure out what it may be causing this problem,,,,

Does anyone can give me a advise what I should do?

Thank you very much !

T1nFan

I recall reading a post about a faulty fuse block connection would cause the A/C fan to run. Might want to look in that direction. My search skills are not the best but I hope this helps.
Dan

Scarecrow

2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I would think that if anybody can fix it, it will be Freightliner -- since they built it... yes? Issues like these are often an investigatory thing. They must eliminate each possibility, step-by-step (I know, that sounds expen$ive!). There's an old saying I just made up: "The problem will be fixed by the very last thing you try!"

LaelFreitas

I would think that if anybody can fix it, it will be Freightliner -- since they built it... yes? Issues like these are often an investigatory thing. They must eliminate each possibility, step-by-step (I know, that sounds expen$ive!). There's an old saying I just made up: "The problem will be fixed by the very last thing you try!"

The thing is, one Dodge says it's ECM and the Freightliner says it's another thing...so that is confuse...How Freightliner can't detected the real problem....saying that we start in this...1k to start,,,that too much right?

So i am looking for some other solution more reliable...

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Mercedes built it... they just put Freightliner labels on it.

--dick

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
If I recall correctly the ac fan coming on and no start has to do with the fuse block that lives bolted to the underside of the steering wheel.

skinnysim

have the same problem
started to think 'sprinter no good'
got angry and kicked the panel under steering wheel
no problem since then
? loose conection at starter relay

Last edited:
The answer is that you need someone who can read an electrical diagram and apply it to diagnosing where you're losing your starter feed. It could be a very simple wiring issue or it could be a mechanical failure of the starter. Have you tried feeding the starter power? Any check engine codes to go along with your no crank issues? Codes mean everything in the sprinter diagnostic world! Message me if you need any advice on whats right and whats dealer B*S*

Had the problem last winter, seemed to be related to the cold and the fuse box #1. I took it out and cleaned everything I could and it solved the problem.
:cheers:

Eric Experience

Lael.
I have been watching this thread and thought that the USA units are different to the rest of the world so best to leave it to others to sort this out but there seems to be no progress so I will chip in. The most likely thing is a bad electrical connection, but which one? Do you have any experience with electronics? If yes then you can make up some simple test gear. If you get some small LEDs and make up a test lamp with a LED plus a suitable resistor to run on 12volts. If you make up about 3 of these and connect them to the starting cct before and after the start relay and run a wire from under the bonnet sorry hood from the starter to the light inside you will be able to narrow down the problem vert fast. If you then post your result some one will jump in and claim the answer. Eric.

To add on from yesterday, I figured out that if I wiggled the fuse box it eventually started. One time I spent 30 minutes fondling it but it did start. Don't spend a lot of money until you clean the contacts of the fuse box. Some people have found solder cracks in the box, if you have those just spend the $100 and replace the box.
Hope this gets you started.:cheers:

Ridin1

I recently had this problem. Waited a while and it would start. Drove it home and parked. Next morning same problem. Dash lights would come on and a fan would run but no starter action. I removed the driver seat to see all the relays and other components beneath. Wow where to start under here. I went back to the forum and read about the fuse block on the steering column. After removing the cover I turned the key to start and hit the fuse block with my hand a couple of times and it started. After letting it run a couple of minutes I wiggled the relays on the bottom of the fuse block. That would shut it off. I could easily start it again by wiggling a relay or tapping the fuse block. Sometimes it would start without any prompting. I have ordered a new fuse block because the info I read recognized this as a recurrent problem among 04-06 Sprinters. The part is $107 from Tasca Auto. I've ordered numerous parts from them in the past and have had a good experience with their service. Ill probably replace the relays too and have located a Hella replacement from Summit Racing for $3.47ea part #H41524021. Original part #A0045452905. Ill post the results when I get the part next week.

lindenengineering

Well the wiggle test is an bone fide repair diagnosis technique--well done!
The repair course of action you have taken makes me scratch my head!:thinking:

Why not buy a new fuse box from a MB dealer at $170!
It comes fully populated with all NEW fuse and NEW relays!
Plug and play and so easy to fix!

Don'y over tighten the basic fixing/mounting screws!
All the best
Dennis

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
A bit off-topic.

Lael.
I have been watching this thread and thought that the USA units are different to the rest of the world so best to leave it to others to sort this out ...
So the bad T1N FB#1 isn't common for Aussie Sprinters?

My 2004 had a verified poor solder connection for the turn signal relay. A soldered jumper wire completely resolved my issues.

Some detail is here.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=374375#post374375

The connection I repaired didn't seem like it would be subject to undue stresses. I figure the poor connection was related to improper prep before wave soldering, but that is a guess.

Are FB#1 problems rare in Australian Sprinters? Is the FB#1 the same for left hand drive Sprinter?

vic

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
A bit off-topic.

So the bad T1N FB#1 isn't common for Aussie Sprinters?

My 2004 had a verified poor solder connection for the turn signal relay. A soldered jumper wire completely resolved my issues.

Some detail is here.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=374375#post374375

The connection I repaired didn't seem like it would be subject to undue stresses. I figure the poor connection was related to improper prep before wave soldering, but that is a guess.

Are FB#1 problems rare in Australian Sprinters? Is the FB#1 the same for left hand drive Sprinter?

vic
I had a similar problem with my FB1. The same fault could easily effect the ECU relay.

Don't Aus vehicles have the turn signal control on the RH side of the steering wheel? If so I would expect the FB1 to be a different part with a different pin out?

Eric Experience

Vic.
The reason I said the usa sprinters are different is because the ccts are different in detail to the rest of the world. Some years ago I described how to fix a particular wiring problem and you came back and said no our wiring is different so I thought best to leave wiring details in usa for you to sort out. Our blinker switches are on the left side of the steering wheel so the switch may be the same. My simple way of finding faults using LEDS does not appear to be used by anyone else on this forum, may be it is too hard to solder a resistor and a led together. Eric.

Top Bottom