Sprinter raised + rear diff lock

dutchontoast

312D 4x4 auto ex-ambo
Hi all, special hi to Altered Sprinter, Guru and Eric, I've read your posts around 4x4 sprinters with great interest…

We're preparing for a big trip: up to Darwin from Melbourne via Pilbara, shipping to Dili, island hopping up to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, back down to Singapore, shipping to India and from there overland via Pakistan, Iran, Turkey into Europe. We're taking 18 months.

The team: There's my wife, and 2 kids, and me… and the 5th member of the team: a suitable vehicle

First I thought: Landcruiser with 4 person rooftent. Then (my wife) thought: LR Defender 130 with tray-on camper (girls like comfort!). Then WE thought: security. Best if we can all sleep in the vehicle, and I can get from the bed behind the wheel if we ever have unwanted visitors…

Then I thought transit, then (quite a few!) people said, nono, not transit, MB sprinter... So here i am on the sprinter forum… Don't think i can afford the oberaigner conversion to AWD let alone 4WD, even if someone in Oz could do it… but i've asked them about prices anyway, just in case i can find someone who would help me convert it… and i could actually afford the kit!

Second best option would be lifting it, bigger tyres, and a rear diff lock… Any suggestions as to how I would go about this would be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking at getting a 313 or 316 SWB, say around 2003… and doing a 'basic' camper conversion myself…

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
That sounds like a fantastic trip!!!

I'm animated with envy.

Good luck and happy travels, dutchontoast!

-Jon

Eric Experience

Dutchontoast.
Gooday. I am in Australia and have a 312 4x4 with diff lock for sale. It had a camper conversion but I have just removed it, I am in the process of filling and painting over the bolt holes. The price is $au30k Eric.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
dutchontoast, There you go a rare bird for sale down under, hard to get.
Question how big a tire, and how high did you want to go?
An honest question! Have you a budget in mind?
Standard 15"
DSC00312 (Custom).JPG
42inch
mercedes-benz-sprinter-4x4-inch-55.jpg
Richard

dutchontoast

312D 4x4 auto ex-ambo
Dutchontoast.
Gooday. I am in Australia and have a 312 4x4 with diff lock for sale. It had a camper conversion but I have just removed it, I am in the process of filling and painting over the bolt holes. The price is $au30k Eric.
Hi Eric, I was hoping you might want to sell the 312 :)

I'll send you an email with my contact details… maybe you can do the same, so we can have a chat about it

Kai

dutchontoast

312D 4x4 auto ex-ambo
Question how big a tire, and how high did you want to go?
An honest question! Have you a budget in mind?
Richard
Haha, 285/85/16 is what's fitted to Eric's 312, which will do just fine as far as tyres go… 

Not sure what the clearance on his rig is right now, so will look at that first before deciding if it needs lifting any further, thanks Richard

Kai

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

dutchontoast

312D 4x4 auto ex-ambo

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I'm full of surprises always look out for a bent Benz or VW design I pulled it out of archives
I'd suggest you hunt about on the site and look into RV section Or look on the German side for westfella
If you need specifics info Maybe I can help:idunno: or some of other members on the site as well could advise, it's a great site so enjoy the experience.
It may interest you I know of ten 4x4 units in Tasmania one only was sold to a private buyer from Benz it was registered on the yellow plate system. Qantas has one in Sydney so they are about.
Richard
South Australian Military Sprinter
07-ambulance.jpg

105882506c3564_71 (Custom) (4) (Custom).jpg

glasseye

Richard
Richard, is that courier vehicle a Mazda Bongo? It's just ahead of the Sprinter.
We don't get those here. :idunno:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Mazda ZOOM ZOOM Courier same as the re badgered Ford runs on LP gas
same rear loading length as the Sprinter MWB units. not a Bongo those are much smaller units. Three biggest sellers were the Ford and Mazda vans as above a twenty five year design platform Mitsubishi and the Toyota vans Both Ford and Mazda gone no longer compliant in Australia Mitsubishi has a year to go both engine and Body no longer met Australian ADR design rules
Toyota has current compliance but not yet a Euro 4 model one year to go the body is compliant for front end crash test tests forget the sides we also have the Hyundai vans sold by GM very popular before the cross over to Sprinters crafty crafters Fiat Citroen Ford transits Fiats Daily and Iveco and what ever else I may have forgot:thinking: plus we have your GM and Ford vans running about..1970-72 Free trade Agreements if it's compliant to ADR DOT EPA requirements it's for sale. Then all of the VW vans and pickups plus the Mercedes Vito's
Heck we have Hummers too.Both of them :rad:
Richard.

Last edited:

glasseye

That is just too darn annoying for words. You have a fantastic selection of vans to choose from. We have virtually none. We see the Ford E-series, the Chev Savannah and Sprinters. That's it.

Blame the North American Auto Pact, I guess. We all get screwed so the domestics can thrive. Notice them thriving?:idunno:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
glasseye running of the thread, If your interested as to the reasoning of why! It goes back to 1968-1972 68 US-World mini credit crunch and the 72 oil-price-hike. Aus under the 'Button implementation of the re-modernizing.."Of competitive Industry", changed the trade-tariffs protection barriers, that were in place, and the auto industry changed as well.
I'm writing an article in my spare time on a locked down thread Incoming 44th President of America
"That is not completed for open commentary" you may be interested in keeping an eye on it as to a direct cause of US problems that was implemented via the 1944 Bretton Woods Policy The key was the same years 1968-1972 and the Nixon Government.It had it's good points but protecting to control, was it's down fall.
GM Australia..consider it liken to the GM's US Pontiac division a mean and lean operation, which was to send you the beaut utes! 'may still do so' , But non-completed-in-a-CKD format the same as the Sprinters. as to using a local V8 that has cylinder cut off sequences to save on fuel..But the engine is made and assembled in Mexico."GO FIGURE"
There was also a Panel van-concept high roof version. one could say the same as to the 4x4 Sprinters, you did not get them. Aus did! But as for the public buying one:lol: well that's one big con. you see we still have trade and tariff protectionism, restrictions,and imposts placed on Australia, we still have price fixing manipulation practices under the pose of "Quotas" by others, Not a level playing field.if it's not the manufactures colluding . it's the two way practices of Government, to raise a hidden tax.:shifty:
Look at the big three today, much emphasis is placed on the Unions, and wages, but that is a direct problem created by the Government policy of the day back in-1944-1947 The US auto industry is split into three parts, today. Local out dated and beyond repair. non competitive, outsourcing for cheap labor . Flawed NAFTA system, importation of safer more fuel efficient vehicles= Higher taxes for the GOV,And then look at Honda on the coast to see how successful it's been, non unionism... But fair wages. look at the big three! and ask the straight question as to why there was no progression as to investing profits back into the future?, three and half decades latter of hiding behind exemptions and protectionism ...I Can't blame the Union worker totally for the last ten years,of indecision from the Corporate CEO's and governmental policy's for what went so wrong.after all they have to put food on the table too.
Richard
DSC00906 (Custom).JPG

dutchontoast

312D 4x4 auto ex-ambo
Dutchontoast.
Hi Eric, I've sent you a PM with my contact details so you can get in touch with me.
Sent you an email previously but not sure if you got that…

cheers

Kai

Eric Experience

Dutchontoast.
Sorry for the delay, I got your message but the vehicle is not ready yet, another few days, I have lost the head lining material and it is driving me mad trying to find it. Eric.

Top Bottom