MB Sliding Bathroom Strap Broke

rtigger001

We have our new 2016 MB and on our first trip out the strap that secures the the bathroom door when traveling broke. Searching the forum for fixes but unfortunately have not found any posting for this issue.

Has anyone experienced an issue with this bathroom strap?

Thank you everyone for your assistance. :thinking:

Eagle 1
Regina - 2016 MB

Peter Tourin

2020 Unity RL, ex 2012 Unity MB
I feel that the strap setup isn't the best. The strap in our '12 MB continually came unsnapped while we drove - we were resorting to sticking doorstops under the door <g>... I bought another strap and latch - same problem. I finally screwed a small block of hardwood in the corner at the back of the door (that is, the corner to the right of the toilet - I placed it around the height of the strap. I then mounted a hook and eye. End of problem!

Suza

I feel that the strap setup isn't the best. The strap in our '12 MB continually came unsnapped while we drove - we were resorting to sticking doorstops under the door <g>... I bought another strap and latch - same problem. I finally screwed a small block of hardwood in the corner at the back of the door (that is, the corner to the right of the toilet - I placed it around the height of the strap. I then mounted a hook and eye. End of problem!
Great idea. Could you post a picture? I don't know why LTV, or any other RV manufacturer, still uses these plastic door retainers, as innovative as they seem to be. Perhaps they ordered a gajillion of them and will do something different once the stock is depleted :lol:

We don't have our Unity yet, but we always put bed pillows in the door jamb when traveling with our 5th-wheel. Before we began this practice, the strap come lose one time and the pocket door flew off the track and put a small hole in the bedroom wall :frown:

I like your idea and will certainly make a similar modification to our '17 TB. In the very least, we will put pillows in the doorway :thumbup:

Peter Tourin

It sure works better than using rubber door stops <g>... I'll try to get a photo after work - Jean is taking the MB tomorrow and it won't be back till the weekend, so today's the day... Those straps would be fine if the snaps were solid enough, but they're simply not. When we bought our MB (7400 miles on it), the problem had clearly already begun, as the door striker plate was dented - obviously from the door coming loose on a turn and slamming into the striker plate.

Suza

It sure works better than using rubber door stops <g>... I'll try to get a photo after work - Jean is taking the MB tomorrow and it won't be back till the weekend, so today's the day... Those straps would be fine if the snaps were solid enough, but they're simply not. When we bought our MB (7400 miles on it), the problem had clearly already begun, as the door striker plate was dented - obviously from the door coming loose on a turn and slamming into the striker plate.
At least it was just the door striker plate and not a wall, like ours!

Look forward to your pics. Thanks :clapping:

joeframer44

2014 Unity MB/U-lounge
We simply replaced the snap closure with the heavier duty velcro run on the length of the straps. Works great.

Joe K.
2014 Unity MB

Denis4x4

2013 Unity TB
The screw holding the male part of the snap is too short. Very easy fix with a longer screw. I actually used a pop rivet to hold the male part two years ago...3 minute fix!

Unity-TB-Newbies

2018 Unity-TB
Pete,

Are these doors solid or hollow core? Wondering if where you placed the 'eye screw' has sufficient wood to screw in to. I like this modification.

Peter Tourin

Too long ago for me to remember. I believe the hook eye went in the existing hole from the original snap system, so I wouldn't have to drill another hole. But even a hollow core door has solid wood around the perimeter of the door. There was enough solid stuff for a sound install. The block is thick enough so that the hook lines up well with the eye.

I've experienced the same problem. For us, the button snap shears off after a few weeks of usage. I replaced the button snap once, but then that one eventually sheared off too.

This time I replaced the strap with a magnet. This is one of those super magnets with a center hole for a screw. I removed the strap from the wall and used one of the existing holes to secure a large metal washer for the magnet to hold to. Seems to work well. It takes a good deal of force to pull the door free so it shouldn’t come loose while driving. It actually feels more convenient than the old button snaps and it certainly isn’t going to wear out and break.

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
I've experienced the same problem. For us, the button snap shears off after a few weeks of usage. I replaced the button snap once, but then that one eventually sheared off too.

This time I replaced the strap with a magnet. This is one of those super magnets with a center hole for a screw. I removed the strap from the wall and used one of the existing holes to secure a large metal washer for the magnet to hold to. Seems to work well. It takes a good deal of force to pull the door free so it shouldn’t come loose while driving. It actually feels more convenient than the old button snaps and it certainly isn’t going to wear out and break.

Looking forward to a use report.

how strong magnet did you use?

something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H40U10/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A25FKZJ6CRADAB&psc=1

Last edited:

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
When the snap on my strap pulled off, I just drilled out the rivet on my snap & strap and used a small machine screw and nut to fix it like new. Has been working fine. But I like your idea about using magnets Incredulocious, and if my snaps come apart again I'll just use magnets to replace the snaps on the door and strap.

Attachments

Last edited:

Peter Tourin

I got real tired of that snap coming undone and the door slamming around while driving. I mounted a wood spacer block and a hook-and-eye back by the driver's side. End of problem.

how strong magnet did you use?

something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H40U10/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A25FKZJ6CRADAB&psc=1
Sorry, I don't know what the rating on this magnet was. It was a magnet leftover from something else and sitting in a box. But it does feel strong enough to deal with the motions of the vehicle. If I'm wrong, I'll just get another one to replace the washer and then have double strength.

Well, I can report now after a couple of days of driving (city streets, highways, hills, curves, turns and dips), it works great! It has yet to come free. And of course, as a bonus, there’s no strap to undo (or to forget to secure) when you do use the door!

Top Bottom