Autel MD802 install on a Macbook

seans

Autel requires that you use its Windows software to update the Autel MD802. The good news is that you can install this software and update the MD802 on a Mac, without needing a Windows virtual machine, by using the application CrossOver. :bounce:

You may get stuck in an installer loop, but there's a way to fix that (below).

CrossOver currently has a 14 day trial period that is fully functional. You may also be able to do this with Wine, which is open source, but I have not attempted to install Wine on the OSX.

The Autel Update app, which downloads and installs updates to vehicles and the Autel Update app itself, is installed the same way you'd install any other application with CrossOver. I pointed CrossOver to the Autel install DVD.

After installation, when I first ran Autel Update, the first update it displayed was, predictably, an update to Autel Update. When I tried to download and update it, which you do from inside Autel Update, it got stuck in an installer loop where every subsequent time I tried to run Autel Update, it ran the installer it just downloaded instead.

Basically, what happened is that the Autel Update downloaded the installer for the newer version. Then it set things up so that the next time I ran Autel Update, the installer ran instead. When the installer finishes, it is supposed to let you run the new version of Autel Update instead of the installer. The problem is that behind the scenes, the new version of Autel Update was never installed, so every time you I tried to run Autel Update again, it ran the installer again instead. This appears to be an artifact of using CrossOver and probably never happens in Windows.

To fix this, I found the setup.exe file that was downloaded, moved it, deleted the old installation of Autel Update, and made CrossOver install the downloaded setup.exe as a new application. Here's how you'd do it:

(Assuming you've already installed the program once and are now stuck in the installer loop):
  • Navigate into Program Files/Autel, find the Update Files folder, and find setup.exe
  • Copy setup.exe to your Mac's Downloads folder
  • Use CrossOver to delete the Autel bottle.
  • Use CrossOver to install setup.exe as a new application.
  • Run the Autel Update app again. You'll now be running the new version.
Now the next time I try to run Autel Update, I have the latest version, and I'm able to see all the new vehicle files ready for download (which I'm updating now).

autel.jpg
Above: Autel running on a Macbook using CrossOver

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
snip.....
Now the next time I try to run Autel Update, I have the latest version, and I'm able to see all the new vehicle files ready for download (which I'm updating now).
Watch out for the 'Incorrect Live Data Units with updated Chrysler v6.01 S/W' problem as detected by smiller & confirmed by me. I have had no response to the 'ticket' I filed with Autel.

Hopefully you copied the original SD card contents to your computer or another SD card. That makes it easier to return to v3.00 where the units are correct. I'm not sure whether the units problem extends to other manufacturers, or even to the updated MB section. Hmmm... time to investigate.

seans

Watch out for the 'Incorrect Live Data Units with updated Chrysler v6.01 S/W' problem as detected by smiller & confirmed by me. I have had no response to the 'ticket' I filed with Autel.

Hopefully you copied the original SD card contents to your computer or another SD card. That makes it easier to return to v3.00 where the units are correct. I'm not sure whether the units problem extends to other manufacturers, or even to the updated MB section. Hmmm... time to investigate.
I have spent only a little time with it and found the Chrysler side kind of wonky, so I've stayed on the Benz Sprinter side. But I plan to do a write-up like I did for the iCarSoft. Thanks for posting about the issue. I'll report it too when I see it.

Before I powered the unit up, I made an exact image of the sdcard using dd and made a duplicate card to use for the upgrade. I'm glad I did, because I did not see the old version right away when I started the update app with the updated card plugged into the computer. I'm not sure if/how I could revert if I'd updated my only card.

Is there any benefit to running the updates if your vehicle is well past the age of the new software?
Yes, they may include bug fixes. But you will want to keep a card around with the old version, and back it up as well. It would not surprise me if an "update" removed functionality for legal reasons. In the latest version, the Ford and GM trademarked logos have been replaced with generic ones.

Top Bottom