Oh no, needle bearings found in trans pan

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Does the atsg manual say anything about your 5x single application? You may have to get one from a "large nag1". I know the 722.666 (used in the V8 versions of my vehicle) has a different number of B1 clutch plates than my 722.611

AdrianD

My original stator (140 272 22 24) houses 5x single sided frictions.

I literally have yet to find a single reference, anywhere online, to a 140 272 22 24, 722.6 stator meant to house 5 sets of frictions.

FYI, the difference is the gap between the teeth of the stator and the snap ring. Bigger gap? smaller number of frictions.... smaller gap? larger number of frictions.

Chrysler application (3 sets of frictions) has a 0.410" inch gap. My stator uses ~0.25" gap and 5x
Five single sided frictions? Mine has 5 double sided and I always thought the transmission is identical.

Does the atsg manual say anything about your 5x single application? You may have to get one from a "large nag1". I know the 722.666 (used in the V8 versions of my vehicle) has a different number of B1 clutch plates than my 722.611
If you troll my rebuild topic there is a link to another rebuild topic, a transmission out of a E55 AMG, they have 7 or 8 single sided frictions in B1. IIRC it was a later model 2005 or 2006.

Last edited:

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
I just looked at the atsg manual. The single sided options listed for B1 are 4, 6, or 8 "frictions", there is no 5 plate option shown. It says you adjust for the different thicknesses of the pack by using different "selective snap rings". Not that the manual is that up to date or even broad coverage, it doesn't even cover the t1n sprinter's 722.681

Actually looking at the E55 AMG 722.643 teardown (thanks Adrian) you can clearly see the B1 cage has a different height where the snap ring groove is. It looks a good 5mm higher than on mine.
E55...

mine...

Last edited:

A comment by Eric Experience in another thread about clutch packs.

Coolest.
As I understand the design the last bearing to be fitted determines the end float of the assembly so the bearing washer that is pressed into the stator will be chosen to fit your box. When a thrust bearing fails it is usually just one needle breaks and that locks up the bearing causing the washer to rotate in the housing, Because the needle will be towards the outer edge of the cage the spinning washer will wear more material away on the outside diameter. to test this theory put a straight edge across the washer and see if it is flat, it should not be. If you were to simply replace the bearing then the washer would not be supported flat so it would be necessary to machine the casting and then select a thicker washer. All doable with the help of an expert machinist. I think this is the reason the bearing is marked as non serviceable. Eric.
As always clicking the blue arrow icon within any quote box will take you to the original post/thread.

vic

Top Bottom