Air conditioning not working

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
second photo, your index finger is on a black relay. That relays pins (visible from behind in through holes) often have ring cracks in the solder. Reflow with some fresh lead based rosin core solder for best life.

You went a bit too far in disassembly. The solder joints are easily accessible from the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexk243

KulAdventure
You went a bit too far in disassembly. The solder joints are easily accessible from the front.

Lol, wish I knew that before I got that far into it... But wasn't terrible to take apart.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

alexk243

KulAdventure
How did the knobs come off for you Alex ? Did the just pull off ?

Kinda... There was a few little black tabs on the circuit board that you can kinda push through with a small Flathead screwdriver on the opposite side of the knobs.

alexk243

KulAdventure
So I'm not great at soldering.... Why do they look wet after the solder has dried? Does this look ok?

alexk243

KulAdventure
Well it doesn't seem like the AC is working... I'm going to have to do some more diagnosis on it

Btw Alex. did you check for power at the compressor? Did you try to jump out the pressure switch ?

2004VannaWhite

Big White Box
Do those look ok?

They look functional, but if you want a PCB soldering doods opinion:

Your iron was too cold or you used solder with a very high melting point. OR- your reflow combination of solders (and the associated surrounding crud taken up in the solder pool) rendered a funky mix). Tip temp for PCB work is usually 700º - 725ºF or so. PCB irons also typically have a very fine point, trying to this kind of work with a 1/8" wide chisel tip will be frustrating.

Your patches should look identical to the other OE solder points, note the inverse fillet and smooth surface they have.

Your centermost solder patch has a black -something- sticking out of it, and looks as if what ever that is did NOT take the solder.

Last edited:

Dougflas

DAD OWNER
Did you get the large connector reset tightly? It can be a bear to get back in place and seated. I just redid mine this morning. All told, it took about 2 hours.

Top Bottom