Overlandsprinters panel bed kit for our 2016 4x4 144"

Agnes16

Do you know where your friend got it powder coated for ~$100? I'm in the Bay Area and am getting quotes for $300+. Thanks!
Definitely not the Bay area but i had my panels PC'd along with the side rails for ~ 150.00 this was in Rexburg ID...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Elhalcon

Howdy,

I ordered, installed and just did the maiden voyage with the new Overland Platform bed in the new 2016 144 Crew Sprinter, name MOBY. Eric was extremely helpful and prompt and his bed kit came quick and nicely packed.

It was not too bad installing. We cut 2X4s to length to hold the heavy duty rails in place as we installed rivNuts and bolted down with metric Allen bolts. It is sturdy. I weigh in at 275lb so I wanted something that would hold me. At Eric suggestion I doubled up on 1/2 plywood on the sitting on the edge of the bed end with one panel on top of framework and one beneath. It is rock solid.

I had purchased some high density foam pads from Costco that fit perfectly, 2 across. they are 34X72X3. I think I'll get a 2nd set to give me a little more comfort but I did not feel I was hanging over the edge at 6:4.

I play in a trio that just went 2500 miles, 10 days, 8 concerts throughout Montana. We had loads of room beneath the bed (in the garage) and had lots of comfort above for trading off driving. We've never had it so good.

BBQ Ribs

Do you know where your friend got it powder coated for ~$100? I'm in the Bay Area and am getting quotes for $300+. Thanks!
Try SRS Industrial Coatings in Santa Clara, I had my dirt bike frame coated and from what I recalled it was a pretty good price.

travelinlight

I was going to post a thread of my Overland Sprinter Panel bed but I figured I would just add to this one. I purchased the 40" kit from Eric and mounted it at 38" using 2 5/8 Plusnuts at each pillar. I did trim around 4" off each rail to line up with the seam and to reduce the footprint. Originally I wanted to attach the panels to the rails with the gate latches that OSV and Rb uses but knew it wouldn't be the best option and rattling would occur. I ended up using 1/4 Plusnuts drilled in the center of each end with 1/4 knobs to pull the panels tight against the rails and used 1/2 maple for the deck. I had Powdercoating of Montana in Bozeman do the powder coating and they only charged $75. I just finished putting it all back together and decided to use small clear vinyl furniture pads on the corners of each panel to reduce any vibration, protect the color, and it also acts as a lock washer to keep the knobs tight.

PDXDuffman

5/8" Plusnuts? Curious where you sourced those... everywhere I look I can't get any bigger than 3/8" Plusnut. Any issues/learnings regarding running into structure when installing the Plusnuts?

Medic

I feel like the rebel of the group. But I’m also not an engineer. I installed the high (44”) Overland three panel kit, at exactly 44” from the floor. I probably should of mounted it at 42” or less- I narrowed the interior of the van by using 1/2” plywood for my walls, and now the panels fit a wee bit snug from side to side, but they do fit, and well. I use adhesive felt on my bed panels to absorb rattles against the side rails. I paid $140 to powder coat the side rails. I secure my panels with 1/4”x 2 1/2” carriage bolts with plastic wing nuts I drop through the bed panel and rails, securing them from the bottom. You can see my Overland build on my instagram @carterthevan. The point of all this is that my wife hates the bed at 44”. Her biggest complaint is that she can’t sit up in bed. So, she currently makes me drag the mattress from the bed platform to the floor and we put all of our gear up on the platform. So- I’ve just received my new “low/floor kit” from Eric and I’m going to mount a second set of rails on the L Track that I mounted just below the side windows. My panels are exactly 66” wide, and the van is 69” wide at the new mounting height, leaving me 3” short. The story of my life, which I refuse to allow to define me. I sense some special fabrication coming up. More importantly, I get to weld sh*t.

MotoXPress

I feel like the rebel of the group. But I’m also not an engineer. I installed the high (44”) Overland three panel kit, at exactly 44” from the floor. I probably should of mounted it at 42” or less- I narrowed the interior of the van by using 1/2” plywood for my walls, and now the panels fit a wee bit snug from side to side, but they do fit, and well. I use adhesive felt on my bed panels to absorb rattles against the side rails. I paid $140 to powder coat the side rails. I secure my panels with 1/4”x 2 1/2” carriage bolts with plastic wing nuts I drop through the bed panel and rails, securing them from the bottom. You can see my Overland build on my instagram @carterthevan. The point of all this is that my wife hates the bed at 44”. Her biggest complaint is that she can’t sit up in bed. So, she currently makes me drag the mattress from the bed platform to the floor and we put all of our gear up on the platform. So- I’ve just received my new “low/floor kit” from Eric and I’m going to mount a second set of rails on the L Track that I mounted just below the side windows. My panels are exactly 66” wide, and the van is 69” wide at the new mounting height, leaving me 3” short. The story of my life, which I refuse to allow to define me. I sense some special fabrication coming up. More importantly, I get to weld sh*t.
Is the 44" from the floor deck to the top of the bed frame? Do they measure from a metal floor - what if you have the floor insulated? I need 42 to 45" from the floor (to the underside of the frame) in order to put motorcycles underneath. I don't need to sit up in the bed.

Thanks in advance.

Medic

If you contact Eric at Overland Sprinters the guy is super helpful and and offers great insight to his product. Don’t be afraid to reach out to him. But in my case, I measured from my factory floor height, before placing insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprinterPaul

Is the 44" from the floor deck to the top of the bed frame? Do they measure from a metal floor - what if you have the floor insulated? I need 42 to 45" from the floor (to the underside of the frame) in order to put motorcycles underneath. I don't need to sit up in the bed.

Thanks in advance.

Mine is mounted at 42" from factory floor. You have some wiggle room with mounting options.

pbansen

I’ve just received my new “low/floor kit” from Eric and I’m going to mount a second set of rails on the L Track that I mounted just below the side windows. My panels are exactly 66” wide, and the van is 69” wide at the new mounting height, leaving me 3” short. The story of my life, which I refuse to allow to define me. I sense some special fabrication coming up. More importantly, I get to weld sh*t.
The van is 69" wide at the bottom of the window mounting height, but are the rails mounted directly to the structure of the van or on the wall panels (which would make it somewhat narrower)? I share your excitement about welding, but if you wanted to avoid that, I would think you could just 'sister' an additional piece 1" aluminum square tubing on the outside of the sides of your aluminum frames, through-bolting it in three or four places and you'd be all set.

Shop around with the powder-coating on the new set of rails, too. I got mine done for $80, which was the shop's minimum charge...

Good luck!

Pete

Oregonmtb

I was going to post a thread of my Overland Sprinter Panel bed but I figured I would just add to this one. I purchased the 40" kit from Eric and mounted it at 38" using 2 5/8 Plusnuts at each pillar. I did trim around 4" off each rail to line up with the seam and to reduce the footprint. Originally I wanted to attach the panels to the rails with the gate latches that OSV and Rb uses but knew it wouldn't be the best option and rattling would occur. I ended up using 1/4 Plusnuts drilled in the center of each end with 1/4 knobs to pull the panels tight against the rails and used 1/2 maple for the deck. I had Powdercoating of Montana in Bozeman do the powder coating and they only charged $75. I just finished putting it all back together and decided to use small clear vinyl furniture pads on the corners of each panel to reduce any vibration, protect the color, and it also acts as a lock washer to keep the knobs tight.
I purchased the 40" rails for our 170 WB. I was told it was going to be 106" length. Unfortunately, it came in at 106.375". What did you use to cut yours to desired length and were you able to get smooth edges? We are thinking of using a grinder so we don't have to buy any fancy blades but that will make for some rough edges. It's a bummer as that's why we went with this product so we wouldn't have to do any cutting...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

vanacate

A jigsaw with a blade for cutting metal worked great for me. I think all of the edges should be filed/finished too. At least mine were raw metal stock and thus needed finishing for everyday use. I felt a grinder was too heavy handed for such work. Super happy with the end result.

This "company" totally left me hanging. I inquired on some parts for my rig, and Eric quickly replied (interested in the sale), A few e-mails back and forth, and he vaporized for 2 weeks. I inquired again and he apologized, said he was busy with his family. Another few e-mails returned, and he disappeared again. Another 9 days goes by, and I inquire again asking what is going on, he apologized AGAIN and asked for my address for a shipping quote. I gave it to him within an hour, and no reply for another week.

Today I inquire again asking what is going on, and he tells me he can't supply the parts.

Douche move.

He could have done that a month ago, and saved both of us a lot of time, and not put me a month behind on my build. This guy is a wannabe Sprinter outlet, do not trust him.

gypsybrew

2008 144"
This is good to know. We are remodeling our van and his bed kit is exactly what we are looking for but Have emailed him and had no reply. looks like you can still order them online but I dare not at this time. Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom