How to Upload Pictures

michaelyares

2005 2500 158" WB
I am attempting to upload photos from my iPad having resized them thru an app and saving them as a png file and I get an error that say invalid image.jpeg Anyone have an idea how to work around? I tried the adobe express and tekenodo apps to no avail.

Thanks for any help.

Michael

autostaretx

Erratic Member
My first guess would be to try saving them as jpeg instead of PNG.
Jpeg is usually smaller in file size, too... which is a win.

Otherwise we'd have to look at the image headers to see why it's not being accepted.

Send me one of the images ( rseymour (at) wolfenet.com ) and i'll see if i can post it (or figure out what's broken)

I'll be dropping off-line for a month in an hour or so, so this is a very limited-time offer ...

--dick
p.s. if it's a PNG image but has a .jpg file name, that might be the problem.
(or vice-versa)

Last edited:

michaelyares

2005 2500 158" WB
I reckon I missed you. I saw the extensions available and .jpg and .png were available but not .jpeg but I don't know enough. I will send an email in case you are stil around.

ForWorkAndPlay

2008 144 OBERAIGNER 4x4
I’m having the same problem, damn Apple products! I’m still trying to make it work, if you figure it out please post your findings... the weird thing is I was able to post a few photos in a classified ad after resizing through emailing them to myself but since then I get the “invalid” message even resizing with a editing app.

- Neil

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Ah, thanks for the reminder...

Michael sent me his image file, and i received it and could look at it on my old Android phone back in January.

Now i'm back home, so i looked into my accumulated email, and there it was.
I've just now extracted it to my Win 10 laptop, and herewith shall attempt to post it:

IMG_2208.JPG

... no problems.
Instead of a PNG, the file that arrived in the mail had the JPG extension.
Back in January i looked at the raw data bytes in the file (on my phone), and it had proper jpg internal flags.

The forum's upload dialog had no problems with it just now.
(running Google Chrome as my browser under Window 10)

In an Apple, there may be "metadata" in a separate file that may be getting in the way, but that didn't arrive in the email attachment.

So why it didn't work for him back in January i cannot say.
You are certainly welcome to send me any problem picture ( rseymour (at) wolfenet.com ) and i'll look at it and attempt to add it to this thread.

You mentioned that you could "fix" the issue by emailing the file to yourself, so i fear that the email packing process is intelligently shaving off the icky bits.

If you have a program like StuffIt or Zip (preferred..and StuffIt can Zip) that could perhaps package the image file *before* the email packer gets its fingers on it, that might help convey the icky bits to me.

--dick

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

I’m having the same problem, damn Apple products! I’m still trying to make it work, if you figure it out please post your findings... the weird thing is I was able to post a few photos in a classified ad after resizing through emailing them to myself but since then I get the “invalid” message even resizing with a editing app.

- Neil
iPhone or Mac?

D

Deleted member 50714

Iphone and Ipad, i’m gonna try to sit down with an actual computer this weekend and see if my photots work.
Go to Apple Store and download this free app. For me, it's actually easier on the phone than Mac. I input 800X??? And let app determine the other values.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

ForWorkAndPlay

2008 144 OBERAIGNER 4x4
Thanks Bob, that App is great... still getting “invalid file” when I try to upload. I’ll try some other devices and a real camera, i’m thinking it’s something wrong with my account.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Testing a theory....

...OK, i just tried to load a couple of images...
One was a PNG file that i renamed to give it a .jpg extension,
and the other was a JPG file that i renamed to .png

The uploader refused to handle them, claiming:
"This JPEG image has the incorrect file extension."
and
"This PNG image has the incorrect file extension."

So that's not an "invalid file" message... the uploader is comparing the file's name with the "magic number" that's a few bytes into the file itself. It used the internal data to determine what the file really was, and then complained because the file's name did not agree with that.

the png file starts with (hex) 89 50 4e 47 0d 0a 1a 0a ... the first 4 of which is " PNG"
the jpg starts with (hex) ff d8 ff e0 00 10 4a 46 49 46 ... the last 4 are "JFIF"

The from-an-iPhone5c image i posted above had:
ff d8 ff e1 3a 48 45 78 69 66 ... the final 4 being Exif (which is valid)

If you have a hex editor, you could look at the first identifying bytes of your image (or send it to me)

--dick

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
"i sent you an email"

... and indeed i ALSO see "invalid file" for the first one (although it displays on my laptop's screen)

Your screen grab (a png) came through fine:

image2.png

... and then i made one teeny tiny change to your first file, and voila!

image1.jpg

The change? I changed the file name from image1.jpeg to image1.jpg
(you will note that the upload handler doesn't mention "jpeg")

:doh:

Try changing the .jpeg to .jpg at your end...

--dick

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
My Android phone is extremely reluctant to change the file extension (the .xxx ) ... i have to move the files to a Windows box, change it, then move them back. Even 3rd party "file manager" apps can't do it. (at least not the free ones i've tried so far....)

I'll drop a note to Sikwan (forum owner) to see if he can add .jpeg to the list of acceptable file names.

--dick

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Just for the record, here are the image resizing steps for Windows' free Paint app:
------------------

For Windows: right-click on the photo, choose "Open with...", then choose "Paint" from the list.
After the photo (or one corner of it, since it's too big to see all of it) appears, Then:

--dick

This forum needs to make it easier to upload photos. I've wasted way too much time trying to upload a simple photo - from both my IPhone and my PC based laptop.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
What part (yes, i realize it's "all of it") is being your roadblock?

The resizing (to 900 pixels and smaller than 500 kilobytes)
or the actual posting?

(and see my offer in your "generator" thread)

--dick

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
How to resize in Windows' new "Paint 3D":

In words:
(a) In File Explorer, right-click on the image file and choose "Open With ... Paint 3D"
(b) after it opens, click the "Canvas" icon along the top
(c) in the right-margin Canvas menu change the Width to 900 px or less
(d) hit the "Enter" key or click anywhere else and the change will happen.
(e) save the result as an Image file (not a Project)

... a short-cut for (e) is to click the upper-right-corner X to exit Paint 3D
... it will prompt you to save the file, click Save.
Done

as pictures ((b) through (d)):

--dick

Top Bottom