Van Compass "Pita Van" 4x4 Conversion

Desertbound

Well, got the rear bumper wrapped up and dropped off at powder coat today. Hopefully have that back mid week next week.

Steering shaft is all hooked up now and the van is sitting on it's own weight. Only thing still left to fabricate is the rear gas tank mount. I need to go machine some wheel adapters to get the original 33" tires back on then it's going to be put on hold for a week while I help a buddy out with his Jeep build.

Short list goes something like this;
-Driveshafts
-Plumb brakes
-Wire up wheel speed sensors
-Wire up brake bad warning light sensor
-Hook up / make power steering hoses
-Re-connect fuel filler hose
-Wire transfer case
-Cross fingers

Here's a couple photos in the meantime...

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
Awesome!

Sitting here at the Moab Brewery.:cheers: I've been asked twice if my van is 4wd.....of course the answer is "yes, but not 6wd like it should be":lol:

Desertbound

Awesome!

Sitting here at the Moab Brewery.:cheers: I've been asked twice if my van is 4wd.....of course the answer is "yes, but not 6wd like it should be":lol:
Nice. Moab Brewery is so good.

We can get you to 6wd soon amigo!

Last update for at least a week. Machined the wheel adapters this morning and threw them on. Unfortunately the larger brakes and knuckle assembly from the ML wouldn't work with my 15" wheels. So I robbed the 16" wheels and Generals off my business partner's van and threw them on. Sitting on proper tires again, it looks much better. Thing is sitting nearly perfectly level at just the 2" lift installed on the rear. Really happy with the low stance.

-Rob

Desertbound

Had to spend last week building my buddy's JK. But this week we're back at the Pita Van. Got the bumper back from PC and threw that on. I'm pretty happy with the prototype but will be making some tweaks on the next one.

Got the driveshafts more or less sorted out. Everything is re-plumbed and wired back up. Handful of things left and I can try to fire it up and take her for a spin.

-Rob

Desertbound

Let me know as soon as I can get that bumper. Need's a license plate/light accommodation.
You got it.

I'm going to make a quick bracket to relocate the license plate to the other door for this version. I'm still tossing around ideas on where to put the plate for the production bumpers. In the middle of the spare would be nice, but then you loose the ability to run a rotopax or Cam can there.

Paul_E_D

I'm planning to put a box, or multi-sport surf/bike rack on the swing out. No spare. mounting holes for a plate and light on the bumper directly under the swing out would work.

Desertbound

I'm planning to put a box, or multi-sport surf/bike rack on the swing out. No spare. mounting holes for a plate and light on the bumper directly under the swing out would work.
Gotcha. I'm not opposed to working with each customer as we start these bumpers as well so we can really dial in the options we want to offer on the swingout. I would much rather put the plate on the swingout rather than on the passenger door of the van.

Update for tonight and what all this work was really for.........front drive shaft is in place. :rad:

-Rob

Desertbound

Well it runs again! That's exciting. Had to clear the rack and work on another van today. Really love having a step now with the rear bumper. Makes getting in and out so much easier.

Picking up the rear driveshaft tomorrow. Hopefully driving it around by the end of the week.

-Rob

Desertbound

If I can get the T-case motor wired up before the show so that I can click it into low range, then I don't see why not!

This thing is likely gonna have a for sale sign on it at Overland Expo since we're not gonna be able to make a whole lot more parts off it now that the prototype conversion is done.

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Bravo gentlemen! Excited to hear how it performs! Will you be driving it overland all the way down to AZ?

Last edited:

Desertbound

Bravo gentlemen! Excited to hear how it performs! Will you be driving it overland all the way down to AZ?

Thanks!

If I can get all the bugs worked out before the show, then yes. There are a few hurdles that we may not be able to solve in time that could keep us from driving it there. Mainly, rear driveshaft, and custom tone rings.

Either way though, this thing will be in our booth at Overland!

Desertbound

Well, she can cruise down the road again! After swapping in the Sprinter's transmission valve body, and making some rough tone rings on our Torchmate, the computer is happier. Runs through the gears and cruises down the road nicely. ESP light is on now, I think that's due to my rough plasma cut tone rings.

Sadly though I think we are gonna play it safe and tow it to Overland Expo as we have zero miles on it at this point, but at least now the formula is close. I still need to sort out the transfer case wiring and make a nicer tone ring, but it feels great to run it down the road again.

Desertbound

Quick little update for everyone now that we are back from Overland Expo and we've had a chance to catch our breath.

I've been daily driving the Pita Van since we got back from Overland. Have about 150 miles on it so far and am very happy with the driving characteristics. No warning lights on the dash, and the ESP system works just as it did before. Stock fuel tank still fills great, full power at the pump and no back splashing or any issues filling it.

We had an individual shoot us an email through our website inquiring about when we will realistically have the ML conversion kit available for purchase because he was interested in buying an old T1N and converting it with this kit. Long story short, looks like the Pita Van will be going to a new home shortly. :-(

So, now the last few hurdles to sort out before I feel good about getting this over to it's new owner. Here's what the list looks like:

-Replace ML transmission mount with Sprinter transmission mount. The ML mount is much more rigid and induces more vibration into the cabin than I feel is acceptable.
-Replace upper control arms with new units.
-Redo rear driveshaft to a one piece shaft using 1350 U-joints.
-Build full skid plates for engine, trans and t-case
-Replace plasma cut tone rings, with a laser cut version.
-Wire transfer case to engage low range.
-Install and tune some Fox IFP shocks up front.
-Wheel / tire change. Leaning towards a set of 17" VW Touareg wheels to pair with some stock jeep Rubicon tires I have lying around.

I think thats about it. Need to get all this done by the 23rd of June for the NW Overland Rally so stay tuned.

-Rob

Desertbound

Not as far along as I was hoping to be right now. Have been busy with a few other projects at the shop.

I did re-do the transmission mount to utilize the Sprinter mount. Made a huge difference. Van feels just as smooth as it did before the conversion now. I'll try to snap a few pics of the new transmission mount.

Installed new upper control arms and got it professionally aligned. Everything aligned perfect.

The new rear driveshaft will be done in about an hour. It is now a one piece design and uses 1350 U-joints on both ends. I also got started on the skid plates, front steel "bash plate" is back from powdercoat and ready to throw on. I got the laser cut version of the tone rings on hand, just need to weld them up and swap them out although I'm not really seeing any issues with the plasma cut versions I have in the van now.

We picked up another ML320 this week and just finished stripping it, however before parting it out we measured voltage on the two CANBUS wires going into the transfer case control module of the ML. I'm really trying to get full integration of the 4wd system so that the traction control works the same as it does in a brand new factory 4x4 Sprinter.

Really just been chipping away at it here and there while trying to put as many miles on it as I can before handing it over to the next owner. I have about 1300 miles on the 4x4 conversion now and it's been a blast to drive.

Desertbound

Finally got the rear driveshaft installed. All new one piece shaft with big 1350 U-joints on both ends. Definitely a noticeable improvement over the original shortened shaft. No vibes and smooth running at 80mph.

We'll be including an all new, rebuild able 1350 rear shaft similar to this with our 4x4 conversion kits.

More to come.

-Rob

Top Bottom