Sprinter: Build or Buy an RV Conversion?

LivingtheDream

2009 LTV Serenity
My wife and I love to take road trips, about 4 to 6 per year, usually 2,500 - 3,500 miles per trip. Normally we dont camp, my wife spells camping: HILTON :thinking: Actually we go places and stay in timeshares and use hotels on the way, so we are not really campers.

I am a cancer survivor, and have to live on a liquid diet. I cannot swallow, so I need a restroom. Because I have to take my liquid food with me I also need a freezer.

So our priorities are:
1. Restroom
2. Freezer/Refrigerator
3. Gas Mileage

We really dont sleep or camp in a vehicle, though we do take naps along the way .... so a bed is not such a big deal. 4 captains chairs, driver, shotgun and two more. ... if the two chairs behind the driver and co-pilot recline, then who needs a bed?

Now, given all that information, who out there has an idea for a good solution in a Sprinter conversion to meet those needs.

Thank you for your input... we are trying to learn before we take the jump.

LivingtheDream

boardster

You're obviously a class B kind of guy, and only need comfort on the road as opposed to a home away from home situation.
I'd go with a Sportsmobile custom job, tailered to your needs.
You don't need anything other than the bathroom, refrigration unit, and nap facility.
A deluxe travel van, not a motor home really.
Look at Sportsmobile's list of options, and just get what you need.

LivingtheDream

2009 LTV Serenity
Thanks boardster!! Good Idea... your right, road comfort not a place to live, I had not thought clearly of it in those terms, but you hit it on the nose. I will look at Sportmobile's site and see what it takes. Is there a difference between a Freightliner Sprinter or a Dodge Sprinter as the base?

thank you,

LivingtheDream

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Freightliner/Dodge -- just the grill and where you get them serviced.

Sounds as if you need a freezer the size of the little refrigerators they put in the RVs (in which the freezer isn't large enough to store much liquid food). A freezer, good, safe, comfortable chairs, a bed, and a toilet. One of the custom builders for you, like Sportsmobile and Morehead Design (as posted recently by silverback).

There are other custom builders but none of them come to mind just now.

boardster

Since you're going from home to hotel to time share, etc, you don't really even need a powered freezer.
Just have two Coleman/Igloo/Store brand coolers, keep ice in one and dry ice in the other.
That's what we do!
You could while driving use a power invertor and 110 fridge, etc., but for your use a 12 volt or propane refrigerator/freezer or three way would really be a waste of money.

morkbradys

This may be too late but can you tell me what type of interior is currently in your vehicle. I may have some info about installing a restroom.

Top Bottom