Average Transmission Life- 160,000 miles?

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
I have a '04 and am the original owner. I have had a nasty year of repairs on the Sprinter. Starting with major case of black death to the death of my turbo.

I have 146,000 miles on my van and hoping I have no more major repairs in the near future. The only major thing left with this kind on mileage is the transmission. I have a friend who bought a used '03 with a 12 cube box, and his transmission went out at 160,000.

My transmission was serviced and filter and fluid was changed in 6/2011 at 90,000 miles, and I am having no problems currently. My load history is towing a 5,000lb lift 2 or 3 time a year for a round trip around 60-80 miles for the life of the van, other wise my average load is probably only 500lbs tops.

Should I be worried about my transmission?

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
I don't think you should be worried. Change the fluid every 80,000 miles and replace the connector sleeve on the transmission with a new (better O rings) before it starts leaking.

Always drain the torque converter when you change fluid (you'll need a 27mm socket and a breaker bar to put on the bolt at the front of the engine to rotate the engine to find the 5mm allen key bolt to drain the torque converter). It's possible to do all by your self - I've done it), but easier if 2 people do it). You'll also need the transmission dipstick (about $50).

Last edited:

cahaak

The tranny should last nearly forever. I have 274K on mine. I change the fluid and filter every 60K. You can get a quality tranny dipstick on ebay for less than $10. 722.6 dipstick. The procedure is easy with a write up and once you have done it, even easier the next time.

Chris

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
Thanks for the info. I actually changed it last time myself, looks like I should go ahead and change it again. I had a problem last time that was only half my fault. I didn't get the connector electronic socket completely seated and it went into a limp mode of staying in 2nd. It would not reset with DADs. I took it to the dealership and they had the same problem.

They discovered the problem. When the van was brand new I had an electronic shop install a sub woofer. They installed the the remote power trip for the amplifier to of all things, the transmission diagnostic wire, this was never a problem until I didn't seat the socket. The service guy clipped the amp wire, and the computer was then allowed to reset the transmissiion. I would have never found this in a million years.

They discovered the problem. When the van was brand new I had an electronic shop install a sub woofer. They installed the the remote power trip for the amplifier to of all things, the transmission diagnostic wire, this was never a problem until I didn't seat the socket. The service guy clipped the amp wire, and the computer was then allowed to reset the transmission. I would have never found this in a million years.
Tagged on to a module wire? In what universe does that seem like a great idea? :bash:

So many times scan tool communication issues trace back to aftermarket/added equipment.

OBDII = CAN B
Engine Mgmnt. = CAN C

As long as the CAN C isn't compromised, the CAN B can have problems without being noticed... until something needs to be accessed with a scan tool.

With normal driving (no abuse) you should have no problems with the NAG1 transmission assuming regular fluid changes using the correct ATF III formulations. In my mind towing a trailer is not abuse.

160,000 miles is a ridiculously low number unless abused.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
There is no set life for the transmission any more than there is a set life for the rest of the vehicle, it all depends on circumstances and to some extent luck of the draw.. Change the fluid and filter every 40-60k and don't abuse it and you should see a very long life. For extra security you may want to monitor transmission temperature if towing but even that generally isn't necessary as long as you stay within recommendations.

pfflyer

I bought a 2002 with 367K and sold it with around 424k with good maint. records and as far as I know original transmission and engine. Most other things were changed over the years. Last I talked to new owner over 500k and still running strong.

Hell, I'll be satisfied if mine only lasts until 600k :smilewink:
If my 2004 goes that additional 300,000 miles necessary for 600k, the transmission and engine will be pleasure to work on. By then the body metal will have completely rusted away to allow easy access to the mechanicals. BUT... I'll likely be applying brakes aka the Fred Flintstone design.

FredFlinstoneBraking1.jpg

vic

Zymurgy

Buckeye Zymurgist
Thanks for the positive experiences. I am feeling much better now. Now I can address more of my rust issues, that is a never ending battle as you all know or at least everyone who drives on salty roads in the winter.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Here's some more info that will make you feel better:
I owned a van with 380K miles on it. Original transmission.
My neighbor's van has 310K miles. Original transmission.
Brother in Law's van- 290K miles. Original transmission.
Just worked on a van two weeks ago with only 70K miles. Had the WORST RSN I have ever experienced. The whole van would shake and grumble at the oddest times. Unlike any other RSN I had ever heard/felt. I very easily could have told the guy he needed a new tranny and he would have had every reason to believe me. I did the RSN fix and BAM! she's quiet as a mouse and smooth as a Mercedes transmission should be. All that to say that in the right hands, some "transmission failures" might not have been transmission failures and you are better to hear from owners with many miles on their original transmissions than base your fears on owners with premature transmission failures.
Good luck and glad to hear you are tackling the rust. Now THAT is an issue that we all can agree on! :thumbdown:

Top Bottom