Cost of Maintenance Data Collecting

joekaplow

Hey everyone! You probably get this a lot, but I'm considering buying a Sprinter. I'm considering a pre-2007 (I've heard they're more reliable/ less finicky) with around 100k and I want to get all the numbers down for cost comparison with other vans before I make my choice. I'm a touring musician who will be putting around 40k a year on my van, not carrying super heavy cargo and I'll be living in it while on tour and maybe even when I'm not on tour. I've searched the web and found little data on cost of maintenance for T1n sprinters.

Can anyone please present some numbers on the average cost of maintenance and repairs for your T1n sprinter? Please specify how you're using it (personal/road trips, business, expediting, etc) and the mileage period for your maintenance fees. For instance, the best data for me would be the cost of maintenance on a T1n sprinter between 100k-200k mileage, presuming its been well taken care of, putting moderate mileage on per year (30-50k), not towing super heavy weight. You can give me the cost per year (specify how many miles you drive a year) or per 20k, 50k, 100k whatever. Also let me know whether you've taken it to the dealership or to a non authorized sprinter wizard.

Thank you all for your help!

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Cost of maintenance and repair depends on if DIY or dealership, and how it has been maintained before.
For myself ,business & DIY, $400-$900 per year of 15,000 miles @200,000.
For others $1000- $5000 at a dealership, or $1000 - $3000 at an independent Sprinter mechanic. Dealerships here are sometimes called stealerships for poor diagnosis and throwing parts at it til fixed.
Please note that few mechanics can properly diagnose a MBenz so breaking down traveling is a gamble of luck on getting stuck, unless you are a mechanic with a Sprinter diagnostic scanner.
Plus cost of fuel

Last edited:

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
There are a number of recent threads in this sub-forum about thinghs to look for when buying an older sprinter with high mileage. Lost of good info. Lots of controversy. Lots of different experiences.

surlyoldbill

I'm at $.008 per mile of ownership for repairs. That's 8 tenths on one cent per mile for the math-impaired. $.018 per mile if maintenance (tires, oil changes, filters, etc) are included. That's slightly less than 2 cents for the math-impaired. Let's round it up to 2 cents per mile to be safe.

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
I'm at $.008 per mile of ownership for repairs. That's 8 tenths on one cent per mile for the math-impaired. $.018 per mile if maintenance (tires, oil changes, filters, etc) are included. That's slightly less than 2 cents for the math-impaired. Let's round it up to 2 cents per mile to be safe.
Is that DIY, dealership or private mechanic?

surlyoldbill

Is that DIY, dealership or private mechanic?
90% DIY. Made the mistake of going to a dealer shop after warranty ONCE; needed help diagnosing and replacing an injector once with private mechanic (learned how to do it myself from that). Obviously the tire shop put on the tires. Any monkey could change the oil and tranny fluid. Or change the alternator, shocks, struts, tie rods, brakes/rotors, EGR, MAF, hoses, etc.

Top Bottom