Tire Sensors--wireless

TooMuchHair mentioned this aftermarket internal TPMS in another unrelated thread, so I thought I'd move it here:

I saw you mentioned adding a TPMS. I really don't like the design of any of the external sensor systems. Keeping that Schrade valve depressed constantly and sealed up to that sensor just isn't going to fly for me. I recently found this: http://www.continental-truck.com/truck/products/overview-product-lines/contipressurecheck http://www.continental-automotive.c...al_vehicles/interior/int_bs_ds_its_pdf_en.pdf

Pressure and temperature mounted inside the tire right where it counts!
That looks interesting... thanks!

And a reply:

I wonder if Mercedes will offer it as standard or an upgrade to Sprinter chassis' in the future. Looks like a good setup. Let us know if you get it and how you like it. I'm not gonna change my SST stems and TireMinder setup since my tire problems have gone away. But certainly would consider it in the future if new problems arise.

andrewj

Jordan I would recommend replacing the stock stems with high pressure stems if you use the minders. I posted some photos of my failure in another thread. I drove a lot of Bumpy gravel roads and probably accelerated it. We also drove a lot in Idaho at faster speed.

I did get new brass prebent valves from tire man. Shall I say no comparison. I can check all air in about 2 minutes compared with fumbling with the sensors in the holes and fitting the air chuck in there to adjust.

MEKKMan

"Trial & Error" or "Guinea pig" on a potential tire failure at high speeds is not what I would recommend, nor what I would ever do. Please don't risk cutting your life or the life of others short.
Just what many folks are doing using the factory valve stem & extender. I had lots of problems - 3 flats even. Had Mercedies replace all the valve stems with what they call "metal" valve stems and 6 mos later had another flat caused by a failure of the Mercedes "not so metal" stem. Worst wheel/valve stem design in 60 years of owning cars and trucks.

DiverBob

2018 Unity TB
Just what many folks are doing using the factory valve stem & extender. I had lots of problems - 3 flats even. Had Mercedies replace all the valve stems with what they call "metal" valve stems and 6 mos later had another flat caused by a failure of the Mercedes "not so metal" stem. Worst wheel/valve stem design in 60 years of owning cars and trucks.
There is lots of history about failures with the 2 piece valve extenders, especially if you also have some type of tire pressure monitors attached. Recommendations include replacement with one piece ‘borg’ valve stems which are all metal. My LTV came with the extenders from the dealer, I promptly removed the extension pieces as I knew I was going to add pressure monitors. 40,000 miles and no issues so far! It’s a bit harder to get my fingers on the sensors but only have to remove them when they tell me I have low pressure.

MEKKMan

No sensor. Crappy Mercedes part.
Now I've attempted to remove the wheel.
3 foot bar with 150 # applied at end of bar doesn't break lug nut free (~ 450 ft-lbs)
450 ft-lb impact wrench doesn't break lug nuts free
Spec is 133 ft-lbs.
Conclusion: Dealer severely over torqued lug nuts.
How should I handle the dealer service manager?
How do I get the nuts off? (I'm over 60 miles from the dealer who provides no "on farm" service)

MEKKMan

BTW I can twist the supplied Mercedes lug nut socket/extension over 10 degrees! So, unless the tool is made of something other that steel those nuts are REALLY TIGHT! (I broke my own 3/8 extension bar first try.)

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6

I carry these. half inch impact socket, extension, and a two foot breaker bar.

Once set up, after ensuring the socket is completely engaged over the nut, I can stand on the end of the bar, and be rewarded with the squeek of a moving nut on steel.

MacDougal

2018 Unity MB
So last week we had our first blowout on the Unity. It was the inside driver's side, rear tire. Honestly, the Unity handles so well I had no idea it blew until a car pulled up and told me...

Now I am paranoid, as the blowout was so bad it could have cause damage to the other tire...

Consequently, I am looking at getting the wireless tire sensors. Any recommendations?

As a side note, I bought the tire warranty from the RV dealer... My claim was denied because I couldn't tell then how the tire went flat. I am working the appeal process, but that seems short of ridiculous...it's not like I have cameras watching my tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
On our 2019 unity MB we went with the EEZ tire pressure monitors with six light-weight sensors. Gives you both tire-pressure and temperature. We also carry a compressor for emergencies.
Had an issue early on, with the metal stem extenders. Seems like there was too much motion on the stem (due to added length?/extra connection) leading to failure. We had to get a stem valve replaced twice. (Thank you, southern tire mart). Noticed it easily with the TPMS, so highly recommend to have one. Have since taken the metal valve stem extenders off. Makes it a little harder to get the monitor in place, but doable. Happy with it after 12000 miles.

DiverBob

2018 Unity TB
I really like my Eez tire monitors! We got a flat in Montana while driving, passenger side outside dually went flat, wouldn’t have known it except for the low pressure alarm going off. Next time was a few days ago getting ready for a trip, found another tire was low but not flat. Pumped it back up but 2 days later it was very low. Got both tires fixed with no additional damage to the tire or rims.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Centrifugal forces on stuff added to a high speed spinning wheel is a major concern, so I made rubber discs to stabilize my one piece metal valve stems right after they were installed (for both stems on the rear wheels). I also added the TireMinder TPMS and I haven't had any tire issues in more than 5 years. I'm very happy with my setup on my 2014 and would repeat it on a new Sprinter if I ever get one.

Attachments

imstilllarry

I carry an inflated spare, electric impact wrench, and senco compressor. Overkill, most likely but I will never be stranded in the desert at 110 degrees waiting 4 hours for road side service again. I also love touching my iPad and seeing all my tire pressures and temps on coach and toad. Just feels good.

MEKKMan

Once set up, after ensuring the socket is completely engaged over the nut, I can stand on the end of the bar, and be rewarded with the squeek of a moving nut on steel.

Nice. I use my car jack (I tow a Crosstrek) to support the pivot point. However I only weigh 152 lbs and jumping up and down of a 3.5 ft breaker bar doesn't budge the nuts (well 1 came loose). A 450 ft-lb air impact wrench doesn't budge the nuts either. I suspect the super duper highly trained $200/hr mechanic at the dealer SEVERELY over torqued the nuts. I put wheel nuts on with a torque wrench (anal personality?). The dealer apparently just uses a gorilla. Sioux Falls Mercedes - don't go there.

MEKKMan

Nice. I use my car jack (I tow a Crosstrek) to support the pivot point. However I only weigh 152 lbs and jumping up and down of a 3.5 ft breaker bar doesn't budge the nuts (well 1 came loose). A 450 ft-lb air impact wrench doesn't budge the nuts either. I suspect the super duper highly trained $200/hr mechanic at the dealer SEVERELY over torqued the nuts. I put wheel nuts on with a torque wrench (anal personality?). The dealer apparently just uses a gorilla. Sioux Falls Mercedes - don't go there.

MEKKMan

Update on dealer.
Talked to Sioux Falls Mercedes service manager. He says they will stand behind their work and even replace all the wheel studs if they have been stretched. Approved using heat and penetrating oil to remove nuts. If I break a stud they'll replace it. If I have to use a nut breaker they'll replace the nut. Sounds solid. Off we go to break out the torch...

MEKKMan

Update on nut removal
2 days heating nuts and applying WD-40 penetrating oil two or three times a day. Loosened all tonight with a 3 ft breaker bar. One nut is galled I'll see if stud has to be replaced tomorrow. Removing rim tomorrow to inspect "metal" valve stem. Then off to dealer for replacement.

MEKKMan

I schlepped the tire/wheel 60 miles to dealer. Dealer replaced valve stem for free with same "sorta metal" valve stem. Put wheel back on and properly torqued wheel nuts. Took vehicle for a 50 mile drive (to nearest town and back). Holds pressure now. I have I've been super busy so just today checked the other rear valve stems. The inner duals with braided extenders look OK can't feel them tho. The new outside dual stem feels OK can't see it tho. The other, Driver's side, outside dual valve stem feels like the brass is almost worn thru much like the passenger side did.

Has anyone else have problems with the Mercedes brass "metal" valve stems rubbing on the rim and wearing thru?

Top Bottom