what in the heck kind of bolt holds the seat down??

about to swap out the drivers seat and never saw that type of bolt head before. Kind of looks like a star (torx) bit. In other words the reverse of the type of head that would receive a torx bit. Ill head to an auto parts store later unless someone tells me its some special order tool, or just the name of the type of bolt. thanks

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
about to swap out the drivers seat and never saw that type of bolt head before. Kind of looks like a star (torx) bit. In other words the reverse of the type of head that would receive a torx bit. Ill head to an auto parts store later unless someone tells me its some special order tool, or just the name of the type of bolt. thanks
Common everywhere autoparts or tools are sold.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
"e-Torx" stands for "external Torx"

Here's a typical $60 socket set: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-13-p...p-00949295000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

eTorx-prod_1627010312.jpg

1/4-in. Drive: E4, E5, E6, E7, E8
3/8-in. Drive: E10, E12, E14, E16
1/2-in. Drive: E18, E20, E22, E24
(but i don't know if it includes the size you need)

They're frequently found as "hardened" impact-socket kits, too.

MB also uses e-Torx on the cargo-area seat anchor bolts in the T1N Sprinter.
As Paul said, you can frequently find a "normal" socket that will fit.

--dick

Last edited:

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
Don't buy the whole set, all you need is a E8 E10 E12 and E14 (E14 is for the seat)

Carl

sprinterPaul

I bought a set of these tools from the tools section of a auto parts store. Can't recall if it was Napa or autozone or something. Almost any auto parts store has them in the tools section for cheap. Maybe $10 for the whole set. Mine has been working solid for years..on the rare occasions you find these bolts (BMWs, Mercedes, other German cars)

dowdelst

It's 6 mm socket for the t1n model. The fit is pretty tight inside the bolt head, and I had to tap the socket down with a hammer to get it to seat properly.

Just wanted to post this for the older models, because it's super easy to round out the Allen head if you use the wrong size.

Fyi...The size of the bolt wasn't in the Sprinter parts manual either.

afabube

14mm socket worked over the etorx bolt for the OEM 2nd row bench seat tracks on the VS30 2019 sprinter crew van.

Does anyone know the spec for putting these seat bolts back in? Loctite? Torque spec?
Opinions.
No Loctite for me. There is no reason to expect the fastener to loosen off. I'd likely grease or oil it lightly before installing.

Torque isn't critical. Tight enough is good enough. Using a typical 3/8" drive ratchet handle will get it tight enough. It might be possible to over-tighten and break something if using a typical 1/2" drive ratchet handle and full force.

:2cents: vic

I'm a bit late to the party, but does anyone know what size bolt the seat base to chassis takes? Adding a seat to an T1NFedEx van.

Can't find the specifics here nor anywhere else, but maybe I'm missing a keyword somewhere.

I think it's M8... tried 1.25 threading and didnt quite feel right. Going to try 1.0 next. Anyone know specifically?

Top Bottom