2016 Crew Camper for Family of 4

sprinterPaul

Added the 25 gallon tank into the mix today. Made a mount for the valve so I can switch between the 25 and the 10.

Next up is the indoor shower kit.

Finally water for days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprinterPaul

And version 1 done and ready to test tonight.

No more cold showers camping.

Using a collapsible tub from amazon to catch all the water.

sprinterPaul

I like it, keep up posted. Would the curtiain possibly be available in custom lengths?

Yes it can be. This one is 72” long. Might be a tad bit long. But anything shorter is easy.

It has a mesh bottom to stand on and keep it inside the tub.

It will collapse and roll up around the support poles on top.

sprinterPaul

We took a multi day trip to Sedona, AZ. Daytime temps ranged from 48-58 with nights dipping down into 30s.

I made some changes to the van prior to the trip.

First off after 3 years I was pretty disappointed in my AGM performance for my loads. So I removed them and added some LIon Energy Lithiums amounting to 210 AH capacity.

I had to mount them inside the van to deal with temperature sensitivity. I made a tray that is bolted thru the floor and then strapped the batteries into that.

I’ll eventually make a cover to hide them but allow access for maintenance if needed.

I added another solar panel on the roof opposite the roof box. I found a long narrow 70W panel with specs to match my other panels. It’s made a huge improvement in my solar output.

I modified our bed cushions by adding another 2” of foam. Had to redo the cushion covers. But I’ve never slept better. I didn’t think going from 4” to 6” would matter but it did, and my wife is happy. So win win.

Upgraded the kids seat pouch organizers.

With cold nights the new indoor shower was big hit. Even with temps in the 30s it still dried off in a few minutes hanging outside.

We mostly stayed in the van and watched movies since it was pretty cold. Just had camp fires a couple nights.

Trail conditions were perfect with recent rains making the dirt tacky and just right. No puddles or dust.

Camp spot collage. Had one night on pavement due to forecasted rain.

After the trip I’m playing around with getting down to one table and two lagun mounts. One on the wall and one on the bench seat.

veronatii

Wait when were you in Sedona? I was just there too for thanksgiving.

That shower setup looks rad.. definitely something I'd like to do in the future.

jbm-sd

We left right before the winter storm hit on Thursday.

I was wondering if you dodged the storm! We got out of the Grand Canyon area Tuesday morning. The first 30 miles of highway were ice from an evening snow shower that melted and refroze.

sprinterPaul

I was wondering if you dodged the storm! We got out of the Grand Canyon area Tuesday morning. The first 30 miles of highway were ice from an evening snow shower that melted and refroze.

We ended up visiting the GC on Tuesday afternoon. My youngest came down with a cold and we wanted to take it easy that day. We were probably too late coming in to see your van.

We also just dodged an 11 car pile up on the 17 late Wednesday night.

sprinterPaul

We did a recent trip to Death Valley and finished a couple more small changes to the van.

Finished up the single bench seat leg lagun table mount. This is the alternate location to the wall mount.

Works pretty good as a location. Not super in the way of the person sitting there. Retains the under seat storage where we keep all the shoes.

Next up. Extra fuel. Extends our offroad range. Or just plain old BFE range.

3/16 aluminum plate mounted to the ladder and surf pole.

Just hanging out at camp with nobody around. The best part about DV.

crashs

Funny thing is mine from 2015 was on the desk while I was reading. Destination events was one of the reasons for the van in the first place, so the wife has a home base during events.

H.Mont

Hey there -

Excellent build and thanks for putting the effort into writing it up. This is greatly appreciated by many us as you clearly have some great ideas. I am interested in the 2 exterior lights on the rear of your van on the roof. I have not gone through your whole post here, but caught from my search, that you used these magnetic holders for your lights. I just want to ask, how are they working and are these permanently on your van using the magnets. I am getting ready to do something similar and have been reluctant to VHB taping the lights or drilling wholes. These magnets look like a great solution if it is a mount and forget kind of install. Also, how did you run the wires? Did you use something like a Blue Sea clam shell and where did you come up through the roof? Lastly, what lights did you use? If this is already written up in here somewhere I apologize and maybe you can give me the post #.
Thanks -
Hugh

sprinterPaul

Hi Hugh,

The magnets are set and forget. Really awesome. I just move them for waxing. Im just using some generic lights from amazon. That fit the mount.

I used a single clamshell on the front roof area and have two wires coming up thru it. One is for my front light bar. The other wire feeds a box with 3 outputs. I use a remote control for the roof lights.

Paul

Last edited:

jakehow

Can you get your 2nd row crew seat out of the van with that cabinet directly behind it? I built mine too tight and thinking of modifying the cabinet to leave a little more clearance.

Wondering if anyone knows exactly how much is needed.

sprinterPaul

Can you get your 2nd row crew seat out of the van with that cabinet directly behind it? I built mine too tight and thinking of modifying the cabinet to leave a little more clearance.

Wondering if anyone knows exactly how much is needed.

It’s tight but removable still. I just unlock the legs and pull back/up. More up than before though.

Top Bottom