CA Smog EGR NOT READY

Akatdog

2006 3500 170
So I'm caught in the CA smog debacle with my 06 3500 where EGR monitor refuses to reset. I've been through Dodge Corp (Referred me to their test house) and Mercedes Corp (less than helpful on all fronts).

I ran across this today which somewhat confirms my suspicions that due to starting values the test cycle is not being entered.

Does anyone in the Bay Area/Central Valley Have access to an SDS with DAS to test this? My registration is due next month but would rather not spend $700 on GDE.

Basically they found that 5 values are not being written in the code to let the EGR test cycle begin. By manually entering values the cycle can then begin.

See the video there pertinent values are shown around the 7:30 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKiLDZQAGHE

seans

I hope that video is never pulled from YouTube. Can someone with an SDS capture and write up this procedure so that it can be provided to any mechanic with an SDS?

Akatdog

2006 3500 170
Yeah I took a screenshot of the 5 menus that need to be updated just in case. I just need to find someone with an SDS DAS that can access the menu to try it.

MobileCC

Contact me I can do this fix for the EGR monitor to set with my version of DAS finally
after wasting several hrs trying to get that monitor to set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
I hope that video is never pulled from YouTube. Can someone with an SDS capture and write up this procedure so that it can be provided to any mechanic with an SDS?
You can download any internet video to your hard drive and keep it with several different browser extension choices

Preston

04 Sprinter, 118" Cargo
I had the same issues and was told by my local State referee that the software used by the smog check people was updated last month and the EGR monitor issue is no longer an issue. I got my 2004 118" smoked and finally registered last week! Take it in now, it should pass!

Mill Valley

MobileCC

I had a customer just yesterday that got failed on egr monitor ..maybe your egr monitor had the required warm up cycles to pass ..I personally think there is something wrong with the o2 sensor that's causing these sprinters not to pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akatdog

2006 3500 170
My wild ass guess was that the water temp senor and air temp sensor are drifting over time and aren't in sync at startup and the variable is set too tight in the software but this is totally a guess and haven't had the equipment to test.

Ben I may be contacting you shortly. I'm scheduled to rent an SDS this week locally I'm in Santa Cruz/Milpitas area but I am trying to confirm whether or not they have access to the actuations menu needed.

Akatdog

2006 3500 170
So I rented an SDS unit last night but unfortunately it would not come up with the development menu shown to manually enter these values.

I did however try to exercise the EGR through the diagnostic routine where it goes through the engine rev cycle etc then manually tried to open and close the EGR valve through the DAS and there was virtually no change to the readout whether the valve was supposedly open or closed.

I'm thinking that maybe my valve is clogged or broken but shouldn't there we some sort of code or check engine light if this is the case?

seans

So I rented an SDS unit last night but unfortunately it would not come up with the development menu shown to manually enter these values.

I did however try to exercise the EGR through the diagnostic routine where it goes through the engine rev cycle etc then manually tried to open and close the EGR valve through the DAS and there was virtually no change to the readout whether the valve was supposedly open or closed.

I'm thinking that maybe my valve is clogged or broken but shouldn't there we some sort of code or check engine light if this is the case?
The comments on the video suggested that the poster was open to others contacting him about getting help getting their SDS units set up, so you should give him a shout. Sounds like a trip to Escondido is in your future (see if you can reserve a campsite in one of the oceanfront campgrounds south of Oxnard or south of Carlsbad!)

The DAD can exercise the EGR valve and you are requested to start the engine. The change in engine sound is quite noticeable. So perhaps you can perform the tests with the SDS with the engine idling? Also, if you are using the SDS to cycle the EGR valve with the engine off, just remove the valve and cycle it while looking at it. It will be very apparent as to whether or not it opens and closes - or sticks before closing completely. I have not used the SDS, but without any diagnostic tool, I have watched a valve go through the normal two-wipe "cleaning" when cycling the van on and off. I don't remember if I did this with the valve out of the van (and not turning over the engine, of course) or if I left the original valve in the van and plugged a second valve into the connector, then cycled the engine briefly.

Sean (who dissected several EGR valves to understand how they work)

Last edited:

nutterbutter

2004 LTV Free Spirit T1N
Vanmansion: Do you have the complete working link to the PDF you posted?

Do you have a stock computer setup or a Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) or other tune?

petermyers

So I'm caught in the CA smog debacle with my 06 3500 where EGR monitor refuses to reset. I've been through Dodge Corp (Referred me to their test house) and Mercedes Corp (less than helpful on all fronts).

I ran across this today which somewhat confirms my suspicions that due to starting values the test cycle is not being entered.

Does anyone in the Bay Area/Central Valley Have access to an SDS with DAS to test this? My registration is due next month but would rather not spend $700 on GDE.

Basically they found that 5 values are not being written in the code to let the EGR test cycle begin. By manually entering values the cycle can then begin.

See the video there pertinent values are shown around the 7:30 mark

Brilliant, and I'm experiencing this on my 2004. Does anyone have a person in the Santa Cruz CA area that can do this for me? 831 234-1922

Top Bottom