Coolant Hose Leak at the Rear of Engine

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
This should belong eventually in the write ups section?

Need some help on this one. I've done some searching around in here and have not found anything. Someone please "link me" if I've missed a thread on this.

This is a problem that reared its ugly head this past Saturday on my way up to Vermont for some Columbus Day R&R. An other wise great w/e!

I've got a coolant leak in just about the worst possible location aside from a head gasket. There is a hose in the rear most area of the engine, up under the intake manifold that comes off of what appears to be a plastic connector/coupling of sorts. On the front side ofthat coupler is the hose that goes on to the heater pulse pump. You can barely see the front end of this rear most hose, let alone access it-or wherever the other end of it connects to:thumbdown:. This problem makes me yearn for the good old van days when there was a "dog house" to remove gaining full access to the rear of the motors' components.

My mechanic thinks the intake will need to be removed:eek: to replace the hose. I'm thinking he's correct. Does anyone know different? Removal of the intake....how much of a PITA is that going to be? Am I the first here to have this issue? Thanks for any assistance on this!

In the mean while I'm driving with the radiator cap merely sitting atop of the fill tank as to have zero pressure (above atmospheric) in the system. Works great. very few if any drips but this can only be temporary...

I'm going to add here, that the other end of this hose cannot even be seen with a telescoping mirror!PA140519-resized-text.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
All of you Sprinter owners, many of you with far more miles than I, and no one else has had this issue :idunno: ? Aren't I the lucky one:smilewink:

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
No, not fixed yet. I did get another angle view at this little jewel of a hose yesterday. Seems I can see the opposite end of it if you look straight down the top of the injector cover. I think it was laughing at me:smirk:.

Spoke with the Freightliner dealer the other day too. They say "we've got to see it" even though I'm telling them exactly what hose it is. I asked them to look at the same hose on any one of the other Sprinter's they have hanging around there. Crazy idea eh? Rough estimate of 6 hours @ 102/hr is what I've got so far...It's getting cold, I'm really busy with work. The timing could be better for this!

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Work has slowed just enough to make it merely a huge PITA to be without my truck.

She's at the dealer as of this evening...........

Scott_Mc

Sprintering Since Aug/02
Feel my pain people:laughing:

Still no hose. I stopped by yesteday (without my camera) and saw my van. She loves the indoor storage:thumbup: and the days off:thumbup:. Me, not so much :rant:! I saw the (now removed)hose too. Serious failure. Never seen anything like it. They're now saying Monday. I'm not holding my breath based on this past weeks progress on getting one of these delivered. The good news for me is that the intake DID NOT have to be removed!! This mechanic gets my approval for sure. How he got that out of there is beyond me!

.........stay tuned......​

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I'm not holding my breath based on this past weeks progress on getting one of these delivered. The good news for me is that the intake DID NOT have to be removed!! This mechanic gets my approval for sure. How he got that out of there is beyond me!
He sounds like a hero. If you agree, you might consider offering to buy him a half-rack of his favorite beer.

eldomike

2003 Hi Top 140 WB
Bringing this to the front...I'm going to be attempting to replace the hose without removing the intake..anyone been able to do this?

D

Deleted member 50714

How old?

I'd pull the motor and replace all rubber.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
LindenEngineering's shop often replaces sets of coolant hoses so hopefully he'll chime in.

Is this one of the 8 hoses sold in a set by MillionMileSprinter? If yes, which one?

Maybe can get him or other buyers of his coolant hose set to chime in.

Or is it one of 7 or so heater hoses called A-G, or the 3 part hose, or ??? as sold at Europarts-sd.com?

Top Bottom