Help with Wiring Front Airbag Replacement seats

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Is that the 2nd smaller yellow plug?
PLEASE READ AND HEED the FIRST SENTENCE in the posting of mine that you quoted.

With the wire colors, i'd have a ghost of a chance of answering your question.

Without the color info? Who knows???

--dick

Morgeaux

Circling back to this thread. We have the similar connectors, one with 3 wires, one with 2. I’m wondering which one does what. On our 2018 2500 NCV3 under the driver’s seat we have a yellow connector with 3 wires (brown, brown/green, blue) and a second yellow connector with 2 wires, brown and green/gray. Any idea which one goes to our seatbelt connected sensor (which errors occasionally)? What is the other one for? I doubt airbag sensor since it should be a given that a driver is occupying the driver’s seat in a crash situation, but I’m certainly no expert!

Attachments

vreihen

2014 NCV3 170" cargo with OM651
In-seat airbags. I just swapped a set of 2017 "comfort" seats into our 2014 last Sunday, and the driver seat had a second wire/connector for the in-seat airbag that our 2014 did not have.....

Morgeaux

We are changing seats in our 2018 with comfort seats from a 2019 (alas, a model change, not just a year change). For the driver’s seat there are 2 yellow connectors. In the past we’ve had problems with the seatbelt not recognizing it is buckled, so we were hoping to fix that intermittent problem by putting a resistor in there so that the van thinks the buckle is always connected (we are really faithful at buckling, so the van nagging us to buckle up is not helpful). I’m assuming at this point that the 2 wire connector (brown and green/gray) is for the seatbelt. For the 2019 donor seats these two wires appear to be both white. The 3 wire connector must then be for the airbag occupancy sensor and those are brown, blue, and brown/green (The corresponding colors on the donor seats are brown, red, and brown/white).

Since we’re changing both seats at the same time (hubby removed both rather than one at a time, which would have been easier to track down any fault) I predict we may throw the dreaded SRS error. If we did I’d like to put resistors on the wires to be able to test and clear the code. What I’ve gathered so far from the various threads on this topic are:

Driver’s seat: 2 wire connector (assuming seatbelt) = 100 ohm resistor so the van thinks the seatbelt is buckled (don’t nag the driver to buckle and arm the airbag). I’ve also seen 400 ohms in threads, so I’m not quite sure which value would be the magic one in this situation.
Driver’s seat: 3 wire connector (assuming airbag) = 3.3 ohm resistor to make the van think a person is sitting in the seat (fire the airbag in a collision)
Middle seat: 2 wire connector (airbag) = 3.3 ohm resistor to again make the van think a passenger is in the seat even though the seat will no longer exist
Passenger seat: 2 wire connector (airbag) = 3.3 ohm resistor so the airbag fires in a collision even if the seat is unoccupied.

The passenger seats in our sprinter do not care about the seatbelt at all, just the driver gets the unbuckled warning.
If my assumptions are wrong, I’d love someone that knows more than I do about this whole thing to chime in.

vreihen

2014 NCV3 170" cargo with OM651
Are the 3-wire connectors the mechanism that the SRS system makes the in-seat airbags EXPLODE when power is applied to them? The 2017 "comfort" seats that I just installed into my 2014 Sprinter had what appeared to be side impact airbags built into the seat backs...complete with airbag labels in the upholstery so that someone doesn't install seat covers that obstruct their deployment.

Before anyone tries to wire/bypass the 3-pin connector, please confirm that there is no airbag built into your seats at the other end of those wires before it (quite literally) blows up in your face!

I honestly don't believe that the Mercedes engineers included seat occupancy or occupant weight sensors in any NCV3, since they didn't even include a passenger seat belt buckled sensor.

Regarding the seat belt buckle, my new-to-us NCV3 came with someone's attempt to bypass the driver seat belt buckle warning circuit with a resistor. It didn't work. I wound up buying a new ~$120 seat belt buckle that is actually an in-stock item at our local dealership. The lack of a wire stress restraint on the bottom of the driver seat belt buckle is almost criminal, and you can go check out YouTube for other reports of broken/frayed wires especially with swivel mechanisms. I added multiple cable ties and some wiring split loom to prevent the new buckle's wires from getting broken like the original buckle, and strongly recommend that everyone else with an NCV3 do the same ASAP.....

Top Bottom