NCV3 AC Leaks: Class Action Lawsuit UPDATE

Bandago

Hi guys,
Just an update to let you know that a settlement has been reached in the class action suit we filed against Mercedes-Benz over the leaking air conditioner units.

The terms of the settlement are currently pending approval by the judge and a hearing has been scheduled for August of 2016 for him to review the settlement terms. Yes justice takes a long long time. :yell:

If the judge approves the settlement than I believe you should receive some notice in the mail. So if you are having to repair air conditioner leaks: I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU HANG ON TO YOUR RECEIPTS.

That's all!

-Sharky
Bandago CEO

Bandago

Re: AC Leaks: Class Action Lawsuit UPDATE

This is the OEM Air Conditioning unit that is on the roof of passenger Sprinters.

Bandago

Hey guys,
We just got our settlement notices in the mail, and I imagine many of you are getting them too. If you had an AC roof leak and paid for repairs (even if it wasn't at Mercedes!) now is your chance to get reimbursed! It's also your chance to get the leak fixed once and for all.

Justice is slow, but it does work!

-Sharky
Bandago CEO

BC61

Does this apply to someone who bought a used van? If so how does one go about getting info on the settlement or roof leak fixed? I have an 08 passenger van with leaky OE roof top AC that has not been fixed yet.

Thanks,
Bill

xmerv

What model years does this apply to? I have a 2015 crew and have heard about the likelihood of my roof a/c leaking. Is there a bulletin for some type of proactive fix from Mercedes?

Bandago

The Settlement Class includes all current and former owners (or lessees) of model year 2010-2014 Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner Sprinter 2500 or 3500 vehicles with OEM rear air conditioning units who purchased or leased their vehicles in the USA.

So used vans are covered, but unfortunately the 2008 and 2009 models fall outside the statute of limitations. We tried to expand the coverage as much as we could. Frankly we were lucky to get the 2010 models included.

You can learn more about the settlement by going here: http://rearacsettlement.com/

corvettej

My 2015 Mercedes Sprinter Passenger van leaked this week like someone was pouring water from the vent of the roof mounted AC unit with a pail. It has been at Mercedes dealer since Monday, a vehicle costing this much shouldn't leak at all. My kids got soaked sitting on the first row, they had to change clothes for school, then I seated them on the back row of seats. I drop off the kids and went straight to the dealership without wiping off the seats or the floor, I wanted them to see it in person. They said it was a big process involve in repairing the leak but they would take care of it. I'm waiting on a loaner vehicle now.

jzf0fk

to: CorvetteJ

I had my rear AC repaired twice (both at the dealer) and was told that the seal kit is no longer foam based but a putty like material. So far it is holding up. That was 3 years ago. Being in California, we haven't seen our usual rain until recently so keep that in perspective.

One thing I did notice and you want to check is your roof. I noticed that the techs had stepped on the roof and there are slight dents in the roof. I thought about raising a stink and having them fix it but this introduces new problems. Also, I figure it was the roof and no one is going to see it.

Another thing I noticed is that since they had to take on and off the plastic covers on roof, some of the bolts start rusting. I think the protective coat wore off.

Sharky - Thinks for driving this issue. I am glad MB is owning up to this issue...

I received a lawsuit notice yesterday in the mail. It states that it covers up to model year 2014. But, mine is a 2015. Is it included because it has a late 2014 build date?

corvettej

I got a lawsuit claim letter today, my guess is Mercedes have to let them know of future customers having the same problem. Mercedes is still telling me they don't have a loaner available because I didn't have an appointment, they are waiting for someone to turn one in, my van has been there for 5 days now. I wanted to know the turn-around time on this, they have disassemble the roof liner and remove the unit, then take pictures and sent them to Germany according to the advisor on how to fix it and who's paying. My guess is they have to prove to Mercedes it is leaking, Mercedes don't seem to trust their dealerships. This whole situation is not good for customer/dealer relationship.

Blubus

The Settlement Class includes all current and former owners (or lessees) of model year 2010-2014 Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner Sprinter 2500 or 3500 vehicles with OEM rear air conditioning units who purchased or leased their vehicles in the USA.

So used vans are covered, but unfortunately the 2008 and 2009 models fall outside the statute of limitations. We tried to expand the coverage as much as we could. Frankly we were lucky to get the 2010 models included.

You can learn more about the settlement by going here: http://rearacsettlement.com/
Is there a standardized fix for this problem that MB can extend to those of us with model years not covered (2008)? I am disheartened that we don't get reimbursed, and the last thing I want to do is to keep paying for fixes that won't work. They admit the problem, why not engineer a solution even if we have to pay?

jintztailgate

I just purchased a 2013, 2500, 144", high roof with OEM roof AC. first week I owned it water was pouring out of the AC vent. Did my research and fond the CA law suite was settled as of 8/31/16. When I went to my local MB sprinter dealer they tell me it is not under warranty and they know nothing of the settlement. Anyone know how to get the AC fixed under warranty?

Lord Philip

According to the case documents, the effective date of the settlement was 9/30/2016 and that 5 days after the settlement date, MBUSA "will extend the warranty on the original-equipment rear air conditioning units in Subject Vehicles for water
leaks discussed in LI 83.50-N-59306 and LI 83.50-N-048689 to the first 7 years or 125,000 miles
of the vehicle’s in-service date, whichever occurs earlier. The Extended Warranty will also cover
original-equipment parts damaged by Extended-Warranty-covered water leaks (e.g., vehicle
headliner, upholstery, etc.). To receive a repair under the Extended Warranty, Participating Class
Members must present their vehicles to an Authorized Sprinter Service Center. "

Lord Philip

FYI...I called my Sprinter Dealer and while I was being quoted $1,900 for the fix, the updated warranty printout came out in their office and lo! It is covered! This fix is going to cost me $0.

Thank you to all those who worked to push this class action suit through. You saved me a bundle. If you're ever in the San Francisco area (and since this went through in N. California you might!) I'd like to buy you a beer. :cheers:

Jarocpu

My 2015 Mercedes Sprinter Passenger van leaked during the rain on Dec 23rd from the vent of the roof mounted AC unit. Since it is still under warranty the dealership repaired it by replacing the seal. I thought this problem was already resolved after the 2014 model. I wonder if they will extend the warranty if it leaks again after it expires end of this year. During the rain the water soaked my 1st row seat and some water went to the floor. Lucky the rain was only overnight before I turned it in to Mercedes Service Dept.

If I were to buy a used T1N and the rear a/c was not fixed yet can I get the a/c inspected and fixed for leaks by a sprinter dealer?

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass

If I were to buy a used T1N and the rear a/c was not fixed yet can I get the a/c inspected and fixed for leaks by a sprinter dealer?
This thread is really about NVC3s, not T1Ns. 2002-2003 T1Ns w/ OEM rear evaporator units would not have the problem, as they are mounted internally. The 2004+ T1Ns w/ OEM rear top-mounted units don't seem to have the problem that I can remember.

castilloj

Has anyone heard if any of the 2007 sprinters are covered yet? 2 years ago I paid to have my leak fixed and it’s leaking again and dealer is saying it’s out of warranty.

corvettej

Well today I discover that my A/C leak that Mercedes repaired during the month of May 2016 has came back today. Contacted my dealer and left a voicemail about my concern and warranty, waiting on the call back. Seems like this is on going.

Top Bottom