Problem after replacing high pressure pump

BenYork

Hello,

Yesterday I replaced the high pressure pump on my 2002 sprinter, bought in the USA. Everything went fine, it started up. Then I did something stupid. I was fiddling around with the fuel line leading from the low pressure pump to the high pressure pump, while the motor was running, and it blew off, spewing fuel everywhere. The engine died about 1.5 seconds later. I plugged it back in, and reprimed the system up to the low pressure pump. Van will not start. Disconnected everything pertaining to the high pressure pump, and then reprimed again. Still will not start. What do I do next? Crack all the injectors and crank it over? I am parked on a beach in Nicaragua, so finding a good mechanic isn't really an option...

Thanks,

BEN

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Ben, yes. Charge up the battery if you can. Then pull the plug on the camshaft sensor (next to injector #5) so the van won't start while you are bleeding the system. Have a helper crank the engine over as you very carefully crack open the lines at the injectors. Make sure you open and close them while the engine is cranking. Have fun!

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
Keep your hands, eyes and other body parts away! I is NOT fun to get sprayed with pressurized diesel!

BenYork

OK. So tried bleeding injectors. Nothing came out. Ever. Went back to high pressure pump. Undid the high pressure line, nothing came out when cranking. Undid the "in" line from the low pressure pump. Plenty of air free fuel coming out. Plugged that back in, tried cranking for a long time... Nothing. No fuel coming out at injectors when I crack them, or at the "out" of the high pressure fuel pump. So... Not sure what to do next. Battery is at about 12.3 volts. I can charge it off the solar system in the van, but not while it is in the van. My jumper cables are not long enough. This has happened with both the old high pressure pump and the new one. I swapped them again and got the same results.
Thanks for any ideas.
BEN

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
I have to pressurize my fuel tank to get fuel flowing thru the fuel filter and into the injectors after losing the seal. If you also have an air leak at the filter (a very common problem on 2002/2003 Sprinters - usually the water sensor at the bottom of the filter) - there are replacement fuel filters that don't have the water sensor port on them.

BenYork

Got it towed to a mechanic. That was exciting. He says that there is no current to the injectors, or the pump. Going to wait till monday for him to get a better scanner from managua. They had one on it today, but it wasn't giving them what they needed I suppose. So I am camping out under the mango trees in Chinendenga for the foreseeable future. Anyone know if its possible to renew vehicle permits anywhere that is not Managua?

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
I used to use a shop vac exhaust on the fuel tank filler on one of my Jeep Liberty diesels, in order to get fuel to a new filter, that is until I installed an electric lift pump.

Fuel priming aside, no signal to your injectors could be related to the spewed fuel. Assuming that your black plastic injector cover is in place, the fuel shouldn't have gotten in there. The fuel may have contaminated some connectors or a bare spot in a harness. that could drag down a regulated power supply. I would dis-assemble all the connectors which got sprayed and check condition.

A point of information on your OM612 engine. One faulty injector signal will cause all injectors to not fire. It is not a series circuit as such, but reacts similarly as to one problem affecting all.

vic

Colorado_Al

I just had problems with a refurbished high pressure pump on my 03. It worked for a while, then stopped working. Turns out the electronics on the fuel pump were bad. Swapped the electronics from the old pump onto the new pump and everything was good to go. 3 small bolts. Easy to chankge. Just make sure you clean around the part before you remove it, and do it in a clean area.
PS, If you are getting fuel from the low pressure pump, you should not have to crack the lines at the injectors. It should purge the air through the return lines within about 30 seconds of cranking.
Another tip, make sure that the low pressure lines to the high pressure pump are in the correct ports and not reversed.

Last edited:

lindenengineering

OK. So tried bleeding injectors. Nothing came out. Ever. Went back to high pressure pump. Undid the high pressure line, nothing came out when cranking. Undid the "in" line from the low pressure pump. Plenty of air free fuel coming out. Plugged that back in, tried cranking for a long time... Nothing. No fuel coming out at injectors when I crack them, or at the "out" of the high pressure fuel pump. So... Not sure what to do next. Battery is at about 12.3 volts. I can charge it off the solar system in the van, but not while it is in the van. My jumper cables are not long enough. This has happened with both the old high pressure pump and the new one. I swapped them again and got the same results.
Thanks for any ideas.
BEN
Ben
Whoa Sire Galahad! .
Go back and check the drive is OK on the pump--Has there been a mechanical drive failure resulting from installing this replacement pump?

Check also the connection to the control valve on the HP pump unit itself. Or the valve inself.
Lastly check to see if you have a stuck injector which is blowing combustion gases back into the rail. A crank excercise with the injector pipes off and the injector connections disconnected will confirm this.
Read important
Pura vida
Dennis

LouFLA

Got it towed to a mechanic. That was exciting. He says that there is no current to the injectors, or the pump. Going to wait till monday for him to get a better scanner from managua. They had one on it today, but it wasn't giving them what they needed I suppose. So I am camping out under the mango trees in Chinendenga for the foreseeable future. Anyone know if its possible to renew vehicle permits anywhere that is not Managua?
Long shot here. I’m having a very similar issue. What ended up being your solution?

Top Bottom