Help - can not turn engine to remove trans

Finally got ahold of a used engine. I pulled mine out, transmission attached. Realized that I probably should have tried to unbolt the flywheel from the torque converter while still in the vehicle just because it would have been easier.

Anyway, now that I have the thing out, I cannot get the engine to turn over so I can access the torque converter bolts. #5 connecting rod came through the side of the block and hit the starter motor. I've pulled the starter motor and was able to tap the piston back upward a little but it seems that something may have seized.

Any ideas? I don't recall if it's even possible to remove the trans and leave the TC connected to the flywheel or not. I don't want to screw up the pump. I was planning to disassemble the engine for disposal, parting out, etc.. Maybe my best bet is to start tearing it down to the point where I can get the crank to turn?

All comments welcome! :)
Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:

misterbond10

You're turning the harmonic balancer right? The engine is hosed anyways, have you tried turning it the wrong way? Do you have the service manuals posted on the forum?

lindenengineering

You won't turn it--have just done one with #3 leg out of bed!
Cause as usual overheating caused by bad cooling system maintenance!
I have another in the yard with the same!

The only recourse is to pull the transmission leaving the "torque" attached to the flex plate!

Now with that out of the way take an oxy torch and "hot knife" the webs of the flex plate and it (torque converter) will fall off on the floor and you can detach the fragments from the back and re-use.

This is standard practice with all such engines once locked up!
As they say in Bonnie Scotland "Tyme to get brutal Laddie"!:thumbup:
All the best
Dennis

So here's the thing. I don't have a cutting torch and don't really want to buy one...

Is it *possible* to start tearing the engine down to the point where I can turn the crank? I mean, if I yank the head and then the oil pan, won't I be able to unbolt the rods and mains until I can turn the crank, even if I have to put a 3ft pipe wrench on a journal?

Thanks,
Jeff

So here's the thing. I don't have a cutting torch and don't really want to buy one...

Is it *possible* to start tearing the engine down to the point where I can turn the crank? I mean, if I yank the head and then the oil pan, won't I be able to unbolt the rods and mains until I can turn the crank, even if I have to put a 3ft pipe wrench on a journal?

Thanks,
Jeff
I'm not Dennis.

Dennis is in the business. Time is money.

Of course while in DIY mode you can disassemble to the point of being able to turn what you need. It will add time, but that is likely preferable to buying some one time use equipment. As it sounds like the rod is through the case already, just keep digging in until you free up what is necessary.

:2cents: vic

icarus

Besides...it's always fun to take stuff apart that you don't have to worry about putting back together! Fire up the impact wrenches and have at it!. Eventually you'll be left with a crank an a TC!

Icarus

lindenengineering

I'm OK with busting it down, except its a PITA and a big waste of customers money since I charge by the hour!

The issue really comes down to the arse end of the crank!

You need the torque AND the Flex plate out the way to gain access to the rear crank main seal housing otherwise you can't lift the crank c/w flex and torque out of the block. I suppose there's hack 'n whack method , but you might do more damage to the valuable torque converter that way!

For me the African Bush truck mechanics method always works for this Brit/Pom Mazunga!--Bring Fire Mister!--Yes Bwanna!

Or "Al the Auzzie's" gas axe as they say Down Under --Great for stinking trash truck mangled parts in the campactor body--- dead cats, maggots 'n all!. (Osama Binthurdunthat!):thumbup::thumbdown:
:cheers:Dennis

Yeah I figured that I could still tear it apart, but I wanted to make sure that Dennis wasn't going to tell me that I would need a torch anyway to separate the crank from the main, or some such, etc.. Just double-checking with the :professor:

Coincidentally I do have access to two TC bolts via the normal position. If I could drill a large enough hole through the block in the other two spots I could get a swivel in there for the other 4 bolts. However, a small test hole deterred me. I doubt a cheap impact hammer/chisel from HF would do it either, not as fun as fire but I'd get more use out of 'em :hmmm:

Only real problem now is with the TC on I can't bolt the thing to the engine stand so I guess I'll have to tear off the accessories and the top end and then roll the thing around on the floor..

Bring Fire Mister!--Yes Bwanna!
#Awesome :laughing:

Thanks all!
:cheers:

Top Bottom