Water in Fuel Light WIF warning is on.

Glenn233

Hope no one put DEF into the fuel tank? Maybe bad sensor.

Looks similar to 2015 OM651 fuel filter with permanently attached water in fuel sensor, drain hose and valve.

According to Mercedes Benz, fuel filter replacement is based on time and or miles whatever occurs first. Some claim fuel filter is good for the life of the vehicle.

Then there's the consequences of biofuel, Mercedes Benz originally claimed detrimental to their vehicles but now seem to minimize its potential harm.

Best place for application to fuel filter is the dealership. Some model years, the filter was changed mid-production year.

Unless you're the original owner or, you can't go by a what is currently installed because it may be incorrect.

I would change the filter just for preventive maintenance.

If it is the same filter is in a OM651, it's a piece of cake. The biggest challenges is removing and installing the Clic R clamps.

When I replace my fuel filter I bought the clamp tool and reused the originals.

Another thing I did was place shop rags all around the area to soak up any spilled diesel and corked-off hoses until ready to re-position on the new filter.

Prior to starting, turn the key to second position for one minute and it fired right up.
What tool did you get to remove/reuse the Click R clamps?

pfflyer

Filled up at BP station last night Sprinter shatter WIF light went on and no start
All it was coming from filter drain was water. Towed today to dealership
Here is the results
A. CUSTOMER STATES CRANK NO START. CHECK AND ADVISE. VERIFIED
REPLACE FUEL TANK (NO CRANK NO START (FUEL CONTAMINATED ))
REPLACE FUEL PUMP (NO CRANK NO START (FUEL CONTAMINATED ))
REPLACE HIGH PRESSURE PUMP (NO CRANK NO START (FUEL CONTAMINATED ))
REPLACE RIGHT SIDE FUEL RAIL (NO CRANK NO START (FUEL CONTAMINATED ))
REPLACE LEFT SIDE FUEL RAIL (NO CRANK NO START (FUEL CONTAMINATED ))
REPLACE FUEL FILTER (NO CRANK NO START (FUEL CONTAMINATED ))
REPLACE ALL 6 INJECTORS (NO CRANK NO START (FUEL CONTAMINATED ))
REPLACE ALL INJECTOR HARD LINES (NO CRANK NO START (FUEL CONTAMINATED ))
REPLACE LEAK LINES (NO CRANK NO START (FUEL CONTAMINATED ))
REPLACE HARD LINE BETWEEN RAILS (NO CRANK NO START (FUEL CONTAMINATED ))
REPLACE HARD LINE ON HIGH PRESSURE PUMP (NO CRANK NO START (FUEL CONTAMINATED ))
FILL WITH DIESEL FUEL (NO CRANK NO START (FUEL CONTAMINATED ))
DIAG TIME (NO CRANK NO START (FUEL CONTAMINATED ))
B. PERFORM RECALL CAMPAIGN REPLACE DRIVER SIDE AIRBAG 2017030012
C. PERFORM RECALL CAMPAIGN REPLACE PASSENGER'S SIDE AIRBAG 2018110007
Status
Cost Deferred
$200.00 $1,091.83 $520.00 $2,416.87 $1,581.89 $2,369.82 $384.95 $1,899.68 $999.80 $804.80 $91.00 $91.00 $20.00 $400.00 $0.00 $0.00
Approved
X
Fail
Fail
Fail
Fail
Fail
Fail
Fail
Fail
Fail
Fail
Fail
Fail
Fail
X X
D. ________ I HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE REMOVED MY PERSONAL AND/OR VALUABLES FROM MY VEHICLE AND THAT THERE IS NO FIREARM LEFT IN MY VEHICLE. I AGREE THIS DEALERSHIP WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ITEMS CLAIMED MISSING DURING THIS VISIT.
$0.00
X
Totals, Taxes and Fees Cost Deferred Approved
RO#: 600400 Mercedes Benz of Jacksonville
10231 Atlantic Blvd Jacksonville, FL ● (904) 300-2996 ● fieldsautogroup.com

Totals, Taxes and Fees
Estimate Subtotal Environmental Disposal Fee Tax
Estimate Total
Cost
$12,871.63
Deferred
$0.00
Approved
$200.00 $0.00 $14.00 $214.00

Around $14k in repair
Arguing with the station to get it covered
Does this happened to someone else
Please advise
Thanks
I some what feel your pain. Right now I am over $6k in repairs after two visits to the dealer. Got bad fuel from Quick Trip verified by GA. State Agricultural test. QT is slow or not responding. I hope there aren't more issues down the road. In hindsight I should have had the van towed sooner but I had some cargo a customer was relying on me to deliver. WIF light didn't show up till I was around 1/2 tank and a few days later. Rough start the first start after fill up. The cargo I was carrying wasn't worth $6k in profit but a happy customer is worth ALOT more.

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 3500 Sprinter Tucson, AZ
I love Knipex tools but I didn't know about this one and I already bought another brand. I really like the pivoting inserts.

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Your experience post AEM (aka Approved Emissions Modification)
It appears that the AEM may trigger false WIF warnings in some NCV3 models.

Picked up my 2011 today and Hard Fault for water in fuel was on Instrument panel as I went to see the Van.l.

SA then dug into paperwork and found mention of the Hard Fault code.
No Instrument Cluster replaced ? I questioned this and he showed me the 70 + page MB AEM instructions they received from MB for the 2010-2012 model years and there was no mention of the instrument cluster in the service advisory. ??????

Drove 12 miles headed home and check engine light came on. Drove back to dealer and the codes were soft codes for the Water in fuel (P162500) and P16B500 (Component R53/4 (Fuel Heater with water level sensor) has an open circuit. Both codes were current and also in storage so they had seen this before while during repairs but SA did not mention it until after I questioned if they had seen the Hard Fault during repair.

RE. no instrument cluster replacement , I suggested he review the requirements from the EPA settlement document but he was not interested enough to complete the search or reading on the EPA site.

S Mgr asked me to take Van and to call back in 3-4 weeks and they should have a fix. He also said a memo came from MB this morning asking them to postpone any AEM repairs on 2011 models until they get this programming of ECU or part mismatch fixed.
vic

Rob H

Just had my Sprinter 2011 AEM work done in San Luis Obispo. At pickup yesterday, got the warning message Water in Fuel. Service blamed it on not replacing fuel filter. Went through the draining of water per handbook. Did not help. Thanks to this forum as it confirmed my suspicion that it is related to AEM procedure. Will follow through tomorrow with service as I left the vehicle there for diagnostics.

HKs00

I did a little digging and it appears that they have figured out a solution for the Fuel Heater issue you guys are experiencing. This Doc states that letters will be sent out May 5th to do corrective software updates on the 2011 Vans. I would Start setting up some appointments around that time if you are experiencing this issue.
Fuel Heater Warning.PNG

HKs00

I also forgot to include this section of the letter for anyone that has paid to have additional repairs to solve the heater issue after the AEM.Fuel Heater.PNG

Top Bottom