Squeaky entry door

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
Has anybody had any issues with a very annoying squeaking noise coming from the side entry door while driving? We have the keyless entry on our 2016 IB and the squeak has gotten worse and worse over time.

I think it might be caused by too much play between the door and the door jamb. I can see this by pushing on the door inward from the outside when it's closed. In doing so I hear the squeaking sound. I thought this could be corrected by moving the striker plate/latch inward. But the service tech at Johnson RV tells me that the door won't close when they moved the latch 1/16".

I went around the lot and pushed the doors on the other new Unitys at Johnson RV and they did not have the movement in the door like mine does.

Here is the response from Johnson RV:
We adjusted the striker plate/latch inward 1/16”. Once we did this; we could not open or close the door. We moved it forward very slightly to rectify that issue; and the door opens and closes without squeaking. This is the best we can do with the current door/latch assembly. If the issue persists; the next step would be replacing the door assembly. Replacement would not guarantee the problem wouldn’t occur again.

Very frustrating :bash:

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
Ours also squeaks. My solution is to wrap tape (I use black electric tape) around the circular catch. This tape makes the door close very tight. Eventually the tape rips apart after about twenty or so closings; I then wrap a new piece of tape.

hotfudge

2015.5 Unity TB
PortlandRV: Yep, we have the same issue. Took me awhile to figure out where the squeek was coming from. I've tried moving the striker and various lubricants, all to no avail. Squeek seems to be getting worse over time...and in colder weather. (contraction of door/frame?) Whatever, I hope someone on this thread might have a miracle cure. Plan to add it to my first year check-up list next month when I take 'her' in to my dealer in Colorado Springs. But, I fear I'll get the same response as you did.

PortlandRV

2012 and 2016 IB
PortlandRV: Yep, we have the same issue. Took me awhile to figure out where the squeek was coming from. I've tried moving the striker and various lubricants, all to no avail. Squeek seems to be getting worse over time...and in colder weather. (contraction of door/frame?) Whatever, I hope someone on this thread might have a miracle cure. Plan to add it to my first year check-up list next month when I take 'her' in to my dealer in Colorado Springs. But, I fear I'll get the same response as you did.
Picked ours back up from the service department and she's nice and quiet now. Not even a peep. Now we'll just have to wait and see if it stays that way. Cold weather definitely made it worse.

Fingers crossed:thumbup:

Thanks so much for this! This squeak was driving me nuts and we had yet to figure out what the source was. Sure enough it was those guide bolts rubbing against the striker plate and you can even see the rub marks in the guide bolts.

I tried moving the striker plate but wasn't really able to improve it. In the end, I added electrical tape to the openings in the striker plate, rather than the to the guide posts because the tape seems to last longer that way:
http://crimdom.net/rv-upgrades-and-customizations/#squeak

Last edited:
Incredulocious,
I do not have my unit yet, but I have the keyless option ordered. Your picture does show the rubbing on the guide bolts. I wonder if you went to the hardware store and see if they have any nylon ferrells that could be sliced one side, slipped over the bolt, then glued. it may last a lot longer then the tape.
Joe

Top Bottom