Brake wear visit work shop

Guerrero

Hello everyone, I'm almost at the 40K miles and the 'Brake wear visit work shop' message appears. I can see the brakes pads are worn out, I guess I need to take it easy on my braking habits.
What do you guys recommend
Having the dealer install a new set of pads and rotors (they quoted me about $850 per axel)
Or buy the parts and having a outside tech install them ($117 each rotor and $99 set of pads with sensor)
Is it always necessary to change the rotors?
Thanks in advance for any reply.

Jose.

pfflyer

Or do it yourself. Good write up here and it's not that hard. If you take it to an independent shop make sure they know where to jack it up.

lindenengineering

Hello everyone, I'm almost at the 40K miles and the 'Brake wear visit work shop' message appears. I can see the brakes pads are worn out, I guess I need to take it easy on my braking habits.
What do you guys recommend
Having the dealer install a new set of pads and rotors (they quoted me about $850 per axel)
Or buy the parts and having a outside tech install them ($117 each rotor and $99 set of pads with sensor)
Is it always necessary to change the rotors?
Thanks in advance for any reply.

Jose.
Jose
First question???
Did you present the van for an inspection at the dealer or did you call for a quotation?
If you did the latter--BAD BOY!
You see no respectable shop will quote a fixed price without seeing the car/vehicle! Simply because if you get a low ball ball price and it turns out to be much worse and a costly repair like needing calipers/frames etc etc you are going to complain and Say WELL YOU SAID OVER THE PHONE $XYZ!!!

You most likely will storm out and not give them the business!
Its an American thing so you can be excused for that! In fact any of you if that occurred!

So why do American consumers ask the price on something a shop hasn't seen and inspected?

Well without answering that rhetorical question its all about something most of you can't discuss with a service writer because you are not in the trade nor technical trained enough and its the only bench mark level you can start a discussion. PRICE!
This is a very prevalent issue in the blue collar trades and its strange that no-one in the USA generally asks about the cost of dental charges for well know procedures, let alone ask a doctor!
So inevitably if you press a shop for a price they will high ball it!
Essentially to cover their arses, and if its cheaper you will go AWAY HAPPY AFTER CAPTURE!

So actual prices based upon what you say. give or take a few bucks.
MB Rotors are $120 each! times "4" is $480
MB Pads are 100 per axle x 2 is $200
Brake wear sensors are $15 a pop but some MB lines come with sensor in the pad kit!~
Brake hardware kit x4 is $100
Brake fluid add $18.50
so materials for base brake job are going to be $798,50

Labor calls for one 1 hour per wheel including fluid flush so 4 hours at dealer rate is going to be $600
So total job out the door with cleaning the alloys if you have 'em fitted will be $798,50 rounded to $800 and labor $600 making a total of $1400 plus tax.

Now doing brakes isn't rocket science and asking a Midas to do it might land you in hot water.
Many shops tend to skimp, by using certain aftermarket product lines and or use materials that give the shop a minimum of 150% mark up.
Some of these places employ the grunts on this type of job so you end up with a chiropractor mechanic's job.
(base upon the joke how may times does it take for a chiropractor to change a light bulb? )
Answer! Well only once! But he needs to do it 12 times!:rolleyes:
The USA has shops full of "chiropractor mechanics" so beware if you look for High St repair methods from the national chains. in short COME BACKS!
Hope that explains the state of play with getting your car fixed.
All the best
Dennis

With 40k miles on the vehicle, you should be fine replacing just the pads. If doing so, if using new oem brake pads, they should install with no problem. If you are having brake vibrations, them replacing rotors would be recommended as well. Like Dennis said, make sure you get the new sensors if not included with the pads. After you have the parts you need to find an independent shop that is ok with installing your parts.

Most shops don't like you supplying your on parts (me included) but it will eliminate the chance of them running up the road and putting whatever kind of brakes on they can get fastest and cheapest.

lindenengineering

With 40k miles on the vehicle, you should be fine replacing just the pads. If doing so, if using new oem brake pads, they should install with no problem. If you are having brake vibrations, them replacing rotors would be recommended as well. Like Dennis said, make sure you get the new sensors if not included with the pads. After you have the parts you need to find an independent shop that is ok with installing your parts.

Most shops don't like you supplying your on parts (me included) but it will eliminate the chance of them running up the road and putting whatever kind of brakes on they can get fastest and cheapest.
Well obviously for good reason (don't like you supplying your on parts) it cuts out one important part of the "workshop triad factor:" simply because repair shops simply sell, time, expertise and parts.
For a shop to be profitable and stay in business it needs to make a profit.
This is not a dirty word!
So in short' supplying your own parts cuts out a very important aspect of shop profitability to the financial benefit of the customer!
In short the shop is sacrificing its profit to fix your car!
Is it any wonder there is likely to be some resistance unless they are simply hungry for work!
What does that tell you?
Under financed business perhaps!
In the MBA business world a recipe for a pending problem, subject of numerous case studies for business majors !
I suppose its a bit like you wanting a steak dinner in a restaurant bring your own food, then asking for the Commis chef/Maitre' D to cook it and serve it to you and your guests.

The root issue of course is that mechanics who branch out and become owners often can demonstrate good mechanical "I can fix it" prowess, but are often short of basic business skills. Business model has "pink elephants" holding it down!
Not so well run dealerships!
As they have gone one step ahead being ostensibly run by bean counters who financially control the business by statistics and profitability.
That profitability gives them financial clout in the community especially on the local authority and tax base!

Jose you didn't diviluge if you presented the van for a brake estimate or did you just call for one over the phone?
Curious
Dennis

lindenengineering

Mostly the tech is compensated by what is term flat rate.
Boiled down if he/she is a top earner about $50/hr but many can make 100K per year for top guns!~
In places like a Midas the grunts doing brake work are paid about $15/hr.
Dennis

Top Bottom