Post your mountain biking pics here

calbiker

I find nothing wrong with V-brakes. My Santa Cruz Blur has them. Have about 20k miles on that bike. Just have to replace the rims once a while. Don’t usually ride in wet conditions as that really eats up rims. My brakes last 5 times longer than disk pads.

My Jake had V-brakes...Discs would have been a game changer!

derekhski

We have been riding the Wednesday Night, "Blind Date at the Dairy" Cross races at Alpenrose dairy in Portland Oregon. They run a great Free Kids, under 9 races, plus Juniors and the big kids.... Dad races too. Might have been the last sunny week in Oregon.

Also, Signed up for the High Cascades 100 July 18-19 2020. 100 miles of Dirt with 80% single track...

https://www.highcascades100.com/

Attachments

calbiker

Three generations of mountainbiking. Grandson has excellent skills.

Top of Rattlesnake Tr. , Crystal Cove, Laguna Beach.

RattlesnakeTr.jpg

VeloVan

I helped build “Rattlesnake” trail and “Missing-Link” trial over 30 years ago at Crystal Cove SP - glad they are still being utilized... And I am still riding mountain bikes - only now they have suspension, clip-on pedals, disc brakes, tubeless tires, carbon frames, and dropper seat-posts...

calbiker

Thanks for helping build those trails. Started riding Crystal Cove trails back in '96. I have the book "Mountainbiking Orange County" by Randy Vogel and Larry Kuechlin. Rode many trails in that book. I'm now introducing my grandson to those trails. On the list next is Top-of-the-World.

I helped build “Rattlesnake” trail and “Missing-Link” trial over 30 years ago at Crystal Cove SP - glad they are still being utilized...

OffroadHamster

I helped build “Rattlesnake” trail and “Missing-Link” trial over 30 years ago at Crystal Cove SP - glad they are still being utilized... And I am still riding mountain bikes - only now they have suspension, clip-on pedals, disc brakes, tubeless tires, carbon frames, and dropper seat-posts...
Hopefully you don't still count that unprincipled contingent of trail builders from that era among among your friends. Not rad at all.

derekhski

The Mudd finally arrived in the PNW. Fun out at Pat's Acres in Canby Oregon.... Dreaming of the future sunshine in Spring.

Attachments

VeloVan

Hamster,
FYI - We worked hand and hand with the state park rangers at Crystal Cove State Park. All the trails we worked on were sanctioned and officially approved by the state park before we ever started on them. The state park rangers appreciated having a user group that was willing to put in the labor to build new trails that would enhance the trail system at Crystal Cove State Park - in fact the rangers supplied the trail building tools to our user group...

OffroadHamster

Hamster,
FYI - We worked hand and hand with the state park rangers at Crystal Cove State Park. All the trails we worked on were sanctioned and officially approved by the state park before we ever started on them. The state park rangers appreciated having a user group that was willing to put in the labor to build new trails that would enhance the trail system at Crystal Cove State Park - in fact the rangers supplied the trail building tools to our user group...
I'm referring to the belligerent assholes who refer to themselves as the Laguna Rads, yell at hikers, rough up teenagers, pick fights, climb trails 30 strong and yield to no one, have a chip on their shoulder because "we built these trails!" and are generally a bunch of middle age degenerates who detract from the local MTB culture and sport with their ****ty attitude.

No amount of working hand in hand with local rangers exempts people from a lifetime of being dicks. I was simply saying I hope you dont count that particular contingent among your friends. If you do, and the above is your justification for their/your abhorrent behavior, then you really need to get your shovel out and cut a couple hundred miles of trail to atone.

VeloVan

Hamster,
I am acutely aware of the Laguna Rads. The group that built the trails that I mentioned at Crystal Cove SP was diametrically opposed to the actions and behaviors of the Rads.

You would be better served to direct your venom at the appropriate audience....

OffroadHamster

Hopefully you don't still count that unprincipled contingent of trail builders from that era among among your friends. Not rad at all.
Hamster,
I am acutely aware of the Laguna Rads. The group that built the trails that I mentioned at Crystal Cove SP was diametrically opposed to the actions and behaviors of the Rads.

You would be better served to direct your venom at the appropriate audience....
Wasn't directed anywhere, was just saying hopefully you don't fraternize with the rads.....

OffroadHamster

There was a story that stormed the internet a few years ago of a group of roughly 20 Rad's climbing Rockit in Laguna Woods on a wednesday evening. The story went that a couple of guys were descending Rockit while the Rads were climbing, the Rads determined that the 20 foot wide section of the trail where to the parties passed was insufficient and took it upon themselves to relieved one of the riders of his bike, forcibly removed a strapped helmet, discard his keys, wallet and bike tools over a cliff, and rough him up.

A lot was made of the story being pure fiction, didnt happen, mountain bikers are a friendly bunch, yadda yadda. Well I witnessed it. The day could have been truly tragic for the community as another hiker with a CCW nearly intervened when one of the rads started swinging a branch.

No venom, just careful who I affiliate with...

surferJ

There was a story that stormed the internet a few years ago of a group of roughly 20 Rad's climbing Rockit in Laguna Woods on a wednesday evening. The story went that a couple of guys were descending Rockit while the Rads were climbing, the Rads determined that the 20 foot wide section of the trail where to the parties passed was insufficient and took it upon themselves to relieved one of the riders of his bike, forcibly removed a strapped helmet, discard his keys, wallet and bike tools over a cliff, and rough him up.

A lot was made of the story being pure fiction, didnt happen, mountain bikers are a friendly bunch, yadda yadda. Well I witnessed it. The day could have been truly tragic for the community as another hiker with a CCW nearly intervened when one of the rads started swinging a branch.

No venom, just careful who I affiliate with...
And I thought it was just the surfers with the mythical benevolence. Once upon a time I was chased from a beach near LA with threat of physical and material harm. It turned out I was ‘trespassing’ in Lunada Bay where a group of entitled boys and men thought the water and beach were private.

marc1

And I thought it was just the surfers with the mythical benevolence. Once upon a time I was chased from a beach near LA with threat of physical and material harm. It turned out I was ‘trespassing’ in Lunada Bay where a group of entitled boys and men thought the water and beach were private.
Small world. I live 5 miles south of Lunada Bay. Those assholes who think they owned the bay were jerks. I know. A few years ago the county went in and demolished their surf shack and stepped up enforcement so it is a little better these days. Still a Great break on a South Swell

OffroadHamster

Small world. I live 5 miles south of Lunada Bay. Those assholes who think they owned the bay were jerks. I know. A few years ago the county went in and demolished their surf shack and stepped up enforcement so it is a little better these days. Still a Great break on a South Swell
I grew up in Huntington, and even as a local was chased off of south side several times as a teenager and once assaulted. When I moved to the central coast things got really hairy and I replaced a set of tires on my truck and an antenna after an early morning session at cable landing. "Coincidentally" this was when I got into MTB, as I found the central coast mountain bike community to be exceptionally inclusive, welcoming, tolerant of new riders, helpful, and overall a cool group of people. I made a lot of new friends, found a new sport, and lost a LOT of money at the LBS. I finally hung up my wetsuit after getting circled by a 10ft white shark for 2-3 minutes at the sand spit and getting out of the water and finding slurpy all over my car on the same morning. The next day some dudes I met on the trail invited me to grab beers with them :cheers: Decision made.

Last edited:

calbiker

Done virtually no biking on the central coast. Rode Montana de Oro perhaps 3 times. What are your favorite trails?

We used to camp along HW 1 at Arroyo Laguna to windsurf. Now a lot of that area is taken over by elephant seals.

gltrimble

Done virtually no biking on the central coast. Rode Montana de Oro perhaps 3 times. What are your favorite trails?.

Just visited Montaña de Oro a few weeks ago. Had the opportunity to ride the trails over two days. One trail to the south of campground goes to Oats Peak Summit. Just over 5 miles to the top. The remaining MTB trails are accessed a few hundred yards north of the campground. Probably a few more options on the northern trails and opportunity to ride different and longer loops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Bottom