Always on rear view camera? Can't find one.

smoove_ride

I'll add my $.02.. I installed this years ago and it works great. We have no rear windows, so I wanted what the OP wanted.. an always 'on' rear view when driving. I have it wired so that it turns on with the engine ignition, then off when you shut the motor off. You don't touch a thing. Not the cheapest out there, but I've no issues with it. I epoxied the monitor to the rear mirror mount on the windshield and it looks stock. As a bonus, you can run two other video feeds to it as well (you switch the channels with buttons on the monitor). Good luck!

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/backup-camera-system-for-mercedes-sprinter-vans-rvs-916619-nm.html

Mickyfin

I'll add my $.02.. I installed this years ago and it works great. We have no rear windows, so I wanted what the OP wanted.. an always 'on' rear view when driving. I have it wired so that it turns on with the engine ignition, then off when you shut the motor off. You don't touch a thing. Not the cheapest out there, but I've no issues with it. I epoxied the monitor to the rear mirror mount on the windshield and it looks stock. As a bonus, you can run two other video feeds to it as well (you switch the channels with buttons on the monitor). Good luck!

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/backup-camera-system-for-mercedes-sprinter-vans-rvs-916619-nm.html
I have similar, but recently upgraded to a new release which is slightly smaller, but with more options, linked below, I'm going to see if I can retain the high lever brake light camera with this new mirror, or integrate it with the supplied camera. One for rear view, the brake light camera for close parking. ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Junsu...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

bcman

Has anyone found a screen that has a dimmer function? One of the main complaints I have about my setup is that it's annoyingly bright at night. If I could link it to the car stereo's dimmer wire, that would be ideal.

sparkplug

There are a number of manufacturers who make monitors with "auto dimming" built in.

I don't personally have one as I prefer to have mine on a switch to turn it on or off.

I don't find mine to be unduly bright at night and sometimes leave it on when driving to act as a rear view mirror (I have no windows in my back doors) but if this is a constant problem for you then maybe try applying some window tint film to the screen?

bcman

There are a number of manufacturers who make monitors with "auto dimming" built in.

I don't personally have one as I prefer to have mine on a switch to turn it on or off.

I don't find mine to be unduly bright at night and sometimes leave it on when driving to act as a rear view mirror (I have no windows in my back doors) but if this is a constant problem for you then maybe try applying some window tint film to the screen?
That would most likely make it too dim during the day. I contemplated mounting a tinted piece of plexiglass on a hinge so I could move it out of the way, but that wouldn't play nice with my sun visors.

Do you have the names of any of these manufacturers who make monitors with auto dimming?

sparkplug

There are many different ones. I have no experience of any of them so can't comment but this might help start the search for possible contenders.

icebreaker

I have a VS30 (2019). You can indeed turn on the backup camera manually using a button but it automatically shuts off if you drive over 5 mph. I want to use mine as a "rear view" camera while driving since I don't have rear windows, but the dealership tells me they can't program the backup camera to turn on at speeds over 5mph because it is tied to other systems.
This.

The dealership can't do it but surely there must be another way?!?!?!???

Seems silly to buy an aftermarket camera and monitor when the VS30 cameras and monitor are already there.

radair603

The back-up cameras are pointed almost straight down so they aren't much use for looking behind you while driving, IMO. I followed Live Like Pete's suggestion and installed a VanTop front & rear camera. Easy installation and so far it is excellent. The touch screen makes it easy to toggle between views or adjust brightness and is a nice complement to the factory back-up camera.

I have no affiliation with VanTop, just a satisfied customer.

B

billintomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom