Cetane ratings by fill station

Jmolan

I learned about Cetane in Diesel when I was running my VW TDI for maximum MPG. There is a pretty good difference between stations or Companies fuel. The TDI guys are all over it as they are shaving the MPG's down to the last nth degree.
I learned from all this to avoid the big truck stops as the tend to run the lowest Cetane numbers. Chevron or Shell or Sinclair are my choice. I have Apps on my phone for each company and they prove valuable to find the fuel i need when I am travelling.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=1987974#post1987974

The short version is a copy and paste here. I have not run actual milage numbers on my Sprinter due to, being so new, and I am running the espar a lot.

***Cetane levels by fuel company. To ensure accuracy if you have a level to add to the list please forward an email from a corporate office to me, and I will add it to the list. Please bear in mind that the current minimum from refiners in North America is 40. Depending on the quality of the oil used as well as refining processes you'll find 40-42 from refiners in the US and Canada. Anything above that has to do with specific companies additive packages. When companies give a minimum value then it will be listed as a single number. When a company gives a range of numbers bear in mind that more often than not you'll probably find the lower number rather than the higher number. If 40 is listed then it generally means that fuel is bought as is from the refiner--if someone messes up and doesn't put in enough additive at the refinery then that can cause major problems for your fuel system. It's recommended therefore that if you get the inexpensive fuel with low cetane you use a cetane booster (PowerService, Lubromoly Cetane booster or Stanadyne are all great choices), or run a little biodiesel in the tank. If something higher than 42 is listed then the retailer adds their own additive package in addition to the standard refinery additive package. Generally speaking as long as 49 or higher is listed you do not need to worry about adding any additives yourself.

All California Diesel: Minimum 53 Cetane

Propel HPR, 75
Syndiesel, 60
BP (Amoco branded), 51;
Countrymark fuels Diesel-R, 50
Chevron, 49; or 51 with Techron D labels in select markets
ConocoPhillips through the 76 stations (California) 47-53
PetroCanada, 47-51
BP (Powerblend 47, otherwise 40-42)
Shell, 46;
Sinclair, 46;
Sunoco Gold, 45 (often +1-5) Sunoco regular is usually 40.
Exxon/Mobile, 43-46
Holiday Stations, 40-43
HESS, 40-42, can be up to 45.
Husky, 40 + diesel Max additives raise another 1-3 from there (41-45 max)
Pilot/Love's/Flying J/Valero/Sheetz/Walmart/Wawa: 40

Last edited:

Ivessm

2005 140 HighTop Pass
JMolan - Interesting info. I just sent an email to the new HESS replacement, Speedway, to find out what they are pumping. I'll forward the answer to you once I get it.

One of the reservations I have with filling up at one of the higher Cetane rated stations is that they don't seem to be pumping a lot of diesel out of these stations. Yes, they have diesel but I rarely see a diesel vehicle in there tanking up. I am reluctant to use a station that doesn't have a decent diesel customer base to cause them to keep their tanks and delivery systems up to snuff.

I do remember years ago with my 2005 T1N Sprinter being in upstate NY and filling up at an Indian reservation that had the only diesel for miles around. Back then I was a stickler for keeping fuel mileage per tank and I distinctly remember seeming to get _significantly_ more miles out of that tank of diesel than I had ever gotten out of all previous tanks. I rechecked my calculations and they were all correct. The only thing I could point to as a reason was possibly a higher Cetane rating for the fuel I received.

As a test I should find a higher Cetane rated station locally and try out a tank or two. I'll let you know.

stew

lindenengineering

I don't know if this is relevant or not to the discussion, but back in the late 80's I was supporting a bus and diesel powered rail project.
One of my tasks was to take 250ml samples of pump fuel DERV and send it to the UK for factory lab analysis.

Overall the Chief Engineer would be mortified at the variation in sulfur and cetane ratings of the fuel I submitted across the country from well known brands and the more obscure blenders we see in the US highways and byways for UK observers.

I was asked for an explanation, which produced my shrug of shoulders!
Dunno, FFS, big place USA, varied blenders from region to region, quality control and the age old American propensity to make a buck by skimping here and there.
Left it at that! Nothing is going to change without an Act of Congress and I can't even see Obama giving it an executive order either!:laughing:
Dennis

I recently am going with the 'Top Tier' suppliers. That is one designation we all should search for. Arco and Shell in my north SD county area are very competitively priced and are some of the lowest in the county. Always check out Gas Buddy in your area before refilling. They clearly show the best prices and whether these are 'Top Tier' or not. I feel for those that have to deal with states where biodiesel is in amounts that are not recommended by mother MB. This Top Tier classification is a reliable standard to trust until I hear otherwise.

I have been using Power Service Diesel Clean for years and whether it has made difference or not, at the least, it gives me some confidence that I am doing all I can. I also have to point out Roger Sailquicks vast knowledge on how to run these machines at their optimum. Thanks to all here.

Last edited:

Top Bottom