Espar D2 Randomly Shuts Off

sprinterryan5

Hi all,

My newish Espar D2 with and easy start timer with high altitude sensor usually works good but I am having 2 problems.

1. The heater shuts off randomly. For example, camping over night I will set the temp to hold and will wake up to a cold van with the heater and controller off. It starts right up when I turn it back on.

2. The program that I set doesn't seem to work. Example, start at 5am and heat to 75.

All settings on the controller are in the right setting, including the infinity sign and program on etc. I have confirmed the wiring is correct with Espar. Any suggestions would be great.

-Ryan

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The first step is to read the current faults, and fault memory from the heater.

See the attached PDF. Go to Page 19. You want to access Service Function 1.1.1 and 1.2.1. This will give you any stored and current faults in the heater. More than likely you had an overheat, flame out, or low voltage event.

I did have one error over the last month of sporadic use on my D2/Easystart. I got a No Signal error on the easystart which shut down my heater. No fault codes stored.

Good luck. :cheers:

Edit: Which wiring setup/schematic are you using? Is the diagnostic line you control or are you using the switch on signal? I am assuming your Easystart displays the D2 internal temp?

Also did you bridge the gray-red and brown-white wires on the heater harness?

Attachments

Last edited:

JEV

2016 Crew High Top 144"WB
Ryan
I had the same problem as you regarding the programing.
I have a D2 heater wtih an Easystart timer and High Alt. Sensor from HeastSo.
I changed the menu item #10 to "on" and now my programing feature works.
To access the menu item select the tool icon, then hold the bottom left button for 5 seconds.
However, the one thing that doesn't seem to work for me is the temperature settings. In theory you can set the controller to run for a specified duration and to hold a temperature setting. I can set the temperature to 50 degrees and to maintain that temperature for 60 minutes with the inside temperature at 60 degrees per my thermometer, and the heater still turns on.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Ryan
To access the menu item select the tool icon, then hold the bottom left button for 5 seconds.
However, the one thing that doesn't seem to work for me is the temperature settings. In theory you can set the controller to run for a specified duration and to hold a temperature setting. I can set the temperature to 50 degrees and to maintain that temperature for 60 minutes with the inside temperature at 60 degrees per my thermometer, and the heater still turns on.
Two suggestions for you. First, unless you connect an external temp sensor, the espar D2 uses its internal one, which may or may not accurately reflect the interior temp. Second I forgot to bridge the gray-red and brown-white wires on the heater harness. This would allow the heater to run, but it had no temperature control and just run on high. After connecting these wires it throttles normally.

I just received an external temperature sensor for the D2, this should improve the accuracy of the temperature control. I will post pics in my build thread when I install it.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Two suggestions for you. First, unless you connect an external temp sensor, the espar D2 uses its internal one, which may or may not accurately reflect the interior temp. Second I forgot to bridge the gray-red and brown-white wires on the heater harness. This would allow the heater to run, but it had no temperature control and just run on high. After connecting these wires it throttles normally.

I just received an external temperature sensor for the D2, this should improve the accuracy of the temperature control. I will post pics in my build thread when I install it.
Are you controlling both D2 and D5 with one EasyStart Timer? I am thinking about replacing my DigiMAx to EasyStart Timer which can display the setpoint and the inside temperature. A little surprising that the unit doesn't come with a $0.10 built in temperature sensor, I guess it is an Ebespracher trickling options selling strategy.

George.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Are you controlling both D2 and D5 with one EasyStart Timer? I am thinking about replacing my DigiMAx to EasyStart Timer which can display the setpoint and the inside temperature. A little surprising that the unit doesn't come with a $0.10 built in temperature sensor, I guess it is an Ebespracher trickling options selling strategy.

George.
Yes, I have both heaters controlled by the EasyStart Timer. The sensor I ordered is the external temp sensor for the D2. The Easy Start has a different external temp sensor available. Part Number 22 1000 34 22 00. (See page 31 of the PDF I posted above). I am fairly certain you can control 2 heaters and use the EasyStart temp sensor at the same time. I would double check the wiring diagrams to confirm.

sprinterryan5

Ryan
Thanks, I'll go try it.

sprinterryan5

The first step is to read the current faults, and fault memory from the heater.

See the attached PDF. Go to Page 19. You want to access Service Function 1.1.1 and 1.2.1. This will give you any stored and current faults in the heater. More than likely you had an overheat, flame out, or low voltage event.

I did have one error over the last month of sporadic use on my D2/Easystart. I got a No Signal error on the easystart which shut down my heater. No fault codes stored.

Good luck. :cheers:

Edit: Which wiring setup/schematic are you using? Is the diagnostic line you control or are you using the switch on signal? I am assuming your Easystart displays the D2 internal temp?

Also did you bridge the gray-red and brown-white wires on the heater harness?
Thanks for the info.

Yes the wires are bridged. If the Easystart shows the internal temp, I don't know how to see that.

I was getting NO SIGNAL Codes as well somewhat often and after talking with Espar Canada, realized I had two "extra" wires connected in between the D2 harness and controller. I clipped them and no codes since. I now have the 2 bridged wires, and four (don't know the colors right now...) wires from the D2 harness side into the high-alt sensor and then into the Easystart. Is that similar to how yours is wired?

I'll have to get in and pull codes. Haven't looked that up yet as to how but I'm guessing it's in the manual you shared. Thanks!

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I now have the 2 bridged wires, and four (don't know the colors right now...) wires from the D2 harness side into the high-alt sensor and then into the Easystart. Is that similar to how yours is wired?
I am following the wiring diagram attached. I will also point out that the altitude sensor does not have a violet wire, instead it has 2 blue/white ones. Not a big deal just check the pin numbers on the connector. I recently added an external temp sensor to the D2, this connects to the GYRD/BNWH and Grey wires.

Note that per the wiring diagram I have only 3 wires connected to the Easystart. RD and BN for power, and BUWH for control/diagnostics. The yellow wire is not needed.

Attachments

sprinterryan5

Midwestdrifter,

What is frustrating to me is that I have called and talked through this with the Espar Techs...exactly which wires go where. I am wired the same only I have the yellow's wired up. I do see that the diagram shows no yellow, I'll give them another call to find out why they told me this. I'm going to spend some time in the manual and settings to make sure I'm good to go, but so far I haven't got a "NO SIGNAL" again and I'll see if my program turns on for me in the am. I haven't checked the codes yet.

Thanks again.

floydturbo

Folsom, CA 2015 w170ex i4
forgot to connect brwh to gyrd no temperature shown

I just installed my used D2 and an easystart select controller. I was not getting the internal temperature shown on the display of the controller. I looked at the wiring diagrams posted on page 1 of this thread and realized I did not connect the brown/white and gray/red wires together.
After I did this, it still did not shown the temperature. I went into the service menu and chose 5 which resets the controller back to factory settings and also initializes it. After I did this and changed the temperature to fahrenheit, it is now displaying and working perfectly.

Top Bottom