Installing rear Captains Chair with Integrated Seat Belt.

lukedog

Why Dogs Fly
My plan includes installing a 3rd passenger seat in the sliding door area behind the front passenger seat.

I know that having some sort of under body steel backing plate will be best for crash safety.

The Shop4Seats.com site includes this statement with their integrated seat belt seats:

"These seats are ONLY sold to new installations in the rear of sprinter vans with prior DOT Test Approvals for seats with integrated shoulder seat belts. If your vehicle is unapproved, your insurance company can deny coverage in case of an accident. Proof of compliance is required prior to acceptance of your order."

Has anyone dealt with this? Anyone installed an integrated belt seat?

Something like this:

http://shop4seats.com/sprinter-seats/captain-chairs/lacrosse.html

Inertiaman

I haven't dealt directly with this, but I'd guess that they will want your VIN number to confirm the vehicle has the necessary mounting bolt holes. This likely means Crew or Passenger vans only. That said, their description is sorely lacking in critical details: weight? bolt pattern of mounting plate? The description says "installs directly to existing bolt holes." Unfortunately that raises more questions than it answers. Does each seat mount to only two holes?? That is the only way I can imagine them mounting two seats side by side to existing holes.

thorn

We have a cargo van we just picked up last week that we ordered with a bench seat just behind the main seats. It is bolted down with special brackets. It can be removed according to the manual. I have not taken it out yet. I'm curious how it is attached. I wonder if they sell some brackets for what you want to do?

73shark

2011 AS Interstate (sold)
Airstream mounts a seat there. I don't know if they bolt to existing brackets or they have to add their own.

lukedog

Why Dogs Fly
I visited 3 So Cal Up-fitters who are happy to install seats for me. $1500-2000. One with a huge under floor bracket. One with little more than over size washers. Seats4less would be my preferred vendor as they are local. I will call them but I wanted to get some insight here.

cahaak

One other seat option is Toyota Sienna seats from the EX line. They have integrated belts and foot rest and recline. You can find them on ebay with a pair about the price of the ones you show. Would need Toyota tracks to mount ideally.

Chris

lukedog

Why Dogs Fly
Shop4seats description for dot requirements was not quite right. They have sold me the seat bases and reinforcement plate. I will order the seat later. I wanted to install the seat base before I did my floor. I won't get the seat bases for 2 more weeks. Has kind of slowed me down.

Note: My 2 passenger side CRL windows go in Tuesday. I have chickened out and am having it done for me.

roofus

I just bought a 2016 Cargo Van 144" wb and I want to install one single additional seat for my 8 month old (+car seat). Is it possible to place the seat either a) between the front seats, but moved back 2-3 feet, essentially forming a triangle between the 3 seats, or b) behind the passenger seat but further back to where the sliding door rests when open?

I have not seen many people installing just 1 additional seat, but that's all we want/need. We would either get the seat from shop4seats, a salvage/recycle yard, or use our other car's passenger seat, nothing fancy, just something safe and sturdy (and legal).

Could we do something similar to gsenthil's added passenger side seat, just further toward the back?

lukedog

Why Dogs Fly
I have one of the integrated seat belt Shop4Seats Seats. It has a very solid under the van bracket. A good bit of double checking to precisely locate right location for mounting holes. Not cheap. It's not in right now as it would be in my way for the rest of the construction.

I do like the seat.

Slackmath

Hi -- hoping that you found the answer to this? I have access to the Sienna seat with integrated seat belts, but I cannot figure out a way to mount these without the original floor brackets. Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated :cheers:

To pick nits.

The Shop4Seats.com site includes this statement with their integrated seat belt seats:

"These seats are ONLY sold to new installations in the rear of sprinter vans with prior DOT Test Approvals for seats with integrated shoulder seat belts. If your vehicle is unapproved, your insurance company can deny coverage in case of an accident. Proof of compliance is required prior to acceptance of your order."

"Can" being the operative word. "May" might be the better choice.

Unless the seat installation failure somehow contributes to an injury, the issue will never come up. Just my opinion.

It is obviously intended to avoid legal problems for the company. My guess is that their approved vehicles list must be pretty short, unless they are referring to OEM passenger models in general.

vic

thevankongs

I just bought a 2016 Cargo Van 144" wb and I want to install one single additional seat for my 8 month old (+car seat). Is it possible to place the seat either a) between the front seats, but moved back 2-3 feet, essentially forming a triangle between the 3 seats, or b) behind the passenger seat but further back to where the sliding door rests when open?

I have not seen many people installing just 1 additional seat, but that's all we want/need. We would either get the seat from shop4seats, a salvage/recycle yard, or use our other car's passenger seat, nothing fancy, just something safe and sturdy (and legal).

Could we do something similar to gsenthil's added passenger side seat, just further toward the back?
Did you ever figure this out? My wife and I are in the same boat and finding info about a single seat install is proving difficult.

Edit: We just purchased a 2010 MB Sprinter 2500 170" Cargo. We're trying to find information on adding a single bucket seat for when we get on the road in a few months. We're expecting, so we'll need to be able to strap in a car seat to the rear seat, preferably with lower anchors. We've seen some reference to the Toyota Sienna seats with integrated seat belts that seems like the best way to go at the moment, but if anyone else has insight into this, we'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

Onefin

Did you ever figure this out? My wife and I are in the same boat and finding info about a single seat install is proving difficult.

Edit: We just purchased a 2010 MB Sprinter 2500 170" Cargo. We're trying to find information on adding a single bucket seat for when we get on the road in a few months. We're expecting, so we'll need to be able to strap in a car seat to the rear seat, preferably with lower anchors. We've seen some reference to the Toyota Sienna seats with integrated seat belts that seems like the best way to go at the moment, but if anyone else has insight into this, we'd greatly appreciate it.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/114704-The-not-so-definitive-guide-to-Sienna-seats

Top Bottom