Steering rack clunk

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
Update on clunk from Eralimited57. After new (remanufacutred) MB rack was installed there was no clunk until after about 2 to 3 thousand miles. Sitting on driveway and turning the steering wheel a few degrees either direction still no clunk like there was before when the original rack was there but clunk has reappeared when turning the steering wheel a full turn or so like rolling a barrel and having something inside fall to the bottom as the barrel rolls to the point where the something inside rolls up the side and then because of gravity can no longer stay there on the inside wall of the barrel and falls to the bottom at least that is what it seems like to me as to what is happening. Sort of like the linkage as it turns the connecting end is moving with the driving input shaft and then at a certain point it can no longer remain and loses the "connection" and falls away to the next point of contact and that is when the "clunk" is heard/felt.

I hope it doesn't get any worse. This is a brand new MB re manufactured rack. I wonder if it is inherent in the design?

Gabe Athouse

Mine is more of a click than a clunk, and it seems like it has its own schedule of when it wants to do it. I’m not fixing it until it gets worse.

4wheels

Update on clunk from Eralimited57. After new (remanufacutred) MB rack was installed there was no clunk until after about 2 to 3 thousand miles. Sitting on driveway and turning the steering wheel a few degrees either direction still no clunk like there was before when the original rack was there but clunk has reappeared when turning the steering wheel a full turn or so like rolling a barrel and having something inside fall to the bottom as the barrel rolls to the point where the something inside rolls up the side and then because of gravity can no longer stay there on the inside wall of the barrel and falls to the bottom at least that is what it seems like to me as to what is happening. Sort of like the linkage as it turns the connecting end is moving with the driving input shaft and then at a certain point it can no longer remain and loses the "connection" and falls away to the next point of contact and that is when the "clunk" is heard/felt.

I hope it doesn't get any worse. This is a brand new MB re manufactured rack. I wonder if it is inherent in the design?
Dealer sold me RE - manufactured driveshaft with new u- joints but with OLD carrier bearings!
I ordered it and when it came - the play on bearings was horrible - I showed them my old bearing that had still had no play . They were puzzled and sent that one back and ordered another one. Another one came and it was just a bit better. They said : just install it and if any problem later - we'll change it under warranty.
Like 40k later ( half year) I hear noise from bearing . I unscrewed it from chassis and it doesn't want to rotate under its own weight !! I have video.
WD-40 fixed it . I don't have time to leave my truck for few days to fix it - I'll just buy gently used original from parted out car.
Disgusting dealer

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

eralimited57

Dealer sold me RE - manufactured driveshaft with new u- joints but with OLD carrier bearings!
I ordered it and when it came - the play on bearings was horrible - I showed them my old bearing that had still had no play . They were puzzled and sent that one back and ordered another one. Another one came and it was just a bit better. They said : just install it and if any problem later - we'll change it under warranty.
Like 40k later ( half year) I hear noise from bearing . I unscrewed it from chassis and it doesn't want to rotate under its own weight !! I have video.
WD-40 fixed it . I don't have time to leave my truck for few days to fix it - I'll just buy gently used original from parted out car.
Disgusting dealer

Not what your comments related to the drive shaft have to do with the steering rack issues?

4wheels

Disgusting dealer

Not what your comments related to the drive shaft have to do with the steering rack issues?
Point was that if reman steering rack failed after 2k - then dealer sold you someone's used rack that they never did any fix on it , just tightened it a bit ( there's a nut for it)
Just like they sold "reman" driveshaft

Gabe Athouse

Where is the tightening nut? I’ve had success adjusting this on steering box trucks, didn’t know rack units had an adjustment too.

eralimited57

Point was that if reman steering rack failed after 2k - then dealer sold you someone's used rack that they never did any fix on it , just tightened it a bit ( there's a nut for it)
Just like they sold "reman" driveshaft

Who knows I really doubt it. There was no charge to me. Hopefully it won't get worse. I do not believe it has anything to do with the adjustment feature built into the rack but that is just a guess.

Sounds like this is a common problem and that people have driven with this condition for very long distances so if that is what it is then so be it I will just have to live with it. Thank you MB engineers!

MotoXPress

I'm also experiencing this after only 22K miles. Dealer wants to replace the entire steering assembly. Lots of 'knocking' when on fire service roads.

Taking it to an independent shop. Any reason to think that its dangerous to drive like this?

eralimited57

After about 1,500 miles mine started to make a noise when I would turn the steering wheel. I crawled underneath and found that the shaft that enters the steering rack has some play in it and that is what I am hearing and feeling in the steering wheel when it is turned. Bare in mind this is now happening on my re-manufactured MB rack. With the original OE rack it was different much more severe and a was a definite clunk rather than what I have now with the re-manufactured rack which is a hardly noticeable noise and a slight feel. Hopefully it does not get worse

I have had all kinds of cars from Honda to Acura to Fords and on and on and I NEVER experienced something like this.

And this is a MERCEDES BENZ! Come on for "Pete's sake!" This is a widespread issue amongst us Sprinter owners.

eralimited57

Drove a 2008 high top 170 with only 28,000 miles on the clock sitting on the lot at my local MB Sprinter dealership. Steering did the same thing as mine. Once again the prestigious Mercedes Engineering at its finest!

eralimited57

Did some more under the Sprinter investigating. With assistant in drivers seat wiggling the steering wheel a few degrees back and forth I was able to determine that the clicking noise is from the steering input shaft where it enters the rack, I think it is called the pinion bearing set.

Not sure if anything can be done to remedy this issue other than a new rack and who's to say a new one won't do it either as others have mentioned they have what seems to be the same issue.

I am 99% convinced that it is the shaft bearing/assembly where the steering shaft enters the rack.....

eralimited57

I am going to try to inject some silicone or lithium grease under the plastic cap that covers the steering shaft as it enter the rack and see if that makes any difference.....

eralimited57

You reminded me. Thanks. I forgot all about it. Bought a new grease cartridge and applied grease. Haven't driven her yet. Will report back with findings.

b0re

No it did not fix it. Still there.
I have the same problem as you. I replace the steering rack twice it came back after a few miles. I agree it sounds like its coming from the joint going into the steering rack. I have take the van to mercedes and 3 other workships, the last work shop said it could be the slip shaft and the noise is resanating down the shaft. Have you made any progress on this?

You hought about trying this "POWER STEERING RACK PISTON REPAIR KIT FOR MERCEDES SPRINTER VW CRAFTER" search on ebay

Its very fustrating

Last edited:

eralimited57

Mercedes steering racks are garbage. I posted my story in another thread/post. Long story short. After the OEM rack that the van was built with and then a remanufactured MB rack installed by a so-called repair place, I decided to ditch the MB name and go with a brand new aftemarket rack. On my 2500 van I purchased an AAE rack part number AAE3618N from Autozone because they offer an unconditional lifetime warranty so that if any number fail, I will get a brand new one no questions asked. Could have gotten it from Rockauto for less but Rockauto has no phone number to call, no Chat and no way to communicate with them and on top of that you have to pay for shipping on a 35-pound part to and from, so I decided to pay the extra for peace of mind and so far I don't regret it one bit.

I had never removed and installed a steering rack before in any of my vehicles but after obtaining the shop manual with all the torques and exact procedure and watching a few youtube videos I decided to give it a try. Better part of one day to remove and better part of another day to install. I am a mechanical engineer, and I am anal about everything being done to the nth degree, so I took my time and did it right checking and double checking. If I ever have to do it again, I can probably do it in 1/2 to 3/4 the time.

I also installed a brand-new OEM power steering reservoir and new MOOG tie rod ends with grease fittings something MB tie rod ends don't have.

When I had the old rack out, I took a fair amount of time inspecting it and sure enough as I had suspected when it was in the van, the pinion shaft had looseness/wobble in it that I could see and feel so my suspicions about that being the issue when it was in the van was exactly correct.

Now for the REALLY GOOD NEWS. The new AAE rack fixed the issue, and she drives soooooooooooo nice. The steering has never been this good, smooth as silk with NO hiccups.

Last edited:
Mercedes steering racks are garbage. I posted my story in another thread/post. Long story short. After the OEM rack that the van was built with and then a remanufactured MB rack installed by a so-called repair place, I decided to ditch the MB name and go with a brand new aftemarket rack. On my 2500 van I purchased an AAE rack part number AAE3618N from Autozone because they offer an unconditional lifetime warranty so that if any number fail, I will get a brand new one no questions asked. Could have gotten it from Rockauto for less but Rockauto has no phone number to call, no Chat and no way to communicate with them and on top of that you have to pay for shipping on a 35-pound part to and from, so I decided to pay the extra for peace of mind and so far I don't regret it one bit.

I had never removed and installed a steering rack before in any of my vehicles but after obtaining the shop manual with all the torques and exact procedure and watching a few youtube videos I decided to give it a try. Better part of one day to remove and better part of another day to install. I am a mechanical engineer, and I am anal about everything being done to the nth degree, so I took my time and did it right checking and double checking. If I ever have to do it again, I can probably do it in 1/2 to 3/4 the time.

I also installed a brand-new OEM power steering reservoir and new MOOG tie rod ends with grease fittings something MB tie rod ends don't have.

When I had the old rack out, I took a fair amount of time inspecting it and sure enough as I had suspected when it was in the van, the pinion shaft had looseness/wobble in it that I could see and feel so my suspicions about that being the issue when it was in the van was exactly correct.

Now for the REALLY GOOD NEWS. The new AAE rack fixed the issue, and she drives soooooooooooo nice. The steering has never been this good, smooth as silk with NO hiccups.
Thanks for all the information you provided. I am having the same issues. I Have about 190k on my 2013 sprinter 2500. I just purchased a new AAE power steering rack as you suggested. Have you had any issues since the install? Do I need to swap any fittings on to the new rack or is it all Plug and Play? Just wondering as I typically use oem parts but in this case the Mercedes rack is like 2k my cost versus $600 for a new AAe rack. I typically do all the suspension work myself as I have recently done all new control arms, stabilizer end links, sway bar bushings, strut ,shocks, brakes. This is the first time attempting a power steering rack!
Not sure if I should replace all the power steering lines at the same time . visually they all look okay.
Do you have any helpful advice! Thanks

Last edited:

Top Bottom