Steering rack clunk

Update on clunk from Eralimited57. After new (remanufacutred) MB rack was installed there was no clunk until after about 2 to 3 thousand miles. Sitting on driveway and turning the steering wheel a few degrees either direction still no clunk like there was before when the original rack was there but clunk has reappeared when turning the steering wheel a full turn or so like rolling a barrel and having something inside fall to the bottom as the barrel rolls to the point where the something inside rolls up the side and then because of gravity can no longer stay there on the inside wall of the barrel and falls to the bottom at least that is what it seems like to me as to what is happening. Sort of like the linkage as it turns the connecting end is moving with the driving input shaft and then at a certain point it can no longer remain and loses the "connection" and falls away to the next point of contact and that is when the "clunk" is heard/felt.

I hope it doesn't get any worse. This is a brand new MB re manufactured rack. I wonder if it is inherent in the design?

Gabe Athouse

Mine is more of a click than a clunk, and it seems like it has its own schedule of when it wants to do it. I’m not fixing it until it gets worse.

4wheels

Update on clunk from Eralimited57. After new (remanufacutred) MB rack was installed there was no clunk until after about 2 to 3 thousand miles. Sitting on driveway and turning the steering wheel a few degrees either direction still no clunk like there was before when the original rack was there but clunk has reappeared when turning the steering wheel a full turn or so like rolling a barrel and having something inside fall to the bottom as the barrel rolls to the point where the something inside rolls up the side and then because of gravity can no longer stay there on the inside wall of the barrel and falls to the bottom at least that is what it seems like to me as to what is happening. Sort of like the linkage as it turns the connecting end is moving with the driving input shaft and then at a certain point it can no longer remain and loses the "connection" and falls away to the next point of contact and that is when the "clunk" is heard/felt.

I hope it doesn't get any worse. This is a brand new MB re manufactured rack. I wonder if it is inherent in the design?
Dealer sold me RE - manufactured driveshaft with new u- joints but with OLD carrier bearings!
I ordered it and when it came - the play on bearings was horrible - I showed them my old bearing that had still had no play . They were puzzled and sent that one back and ordered another one. Another one came and it was just a bit better. They said : just install it and if any problem later - we'll change it under warranty.
Like 40k later ( half year) I hear noise from bearing . I unscrewed it from chassis and it doesn't want to rotate under its own weight !! I have video.
WD-40 fixed it . I don't have time to leave my truck for few days to fix it - I'll just buy gently used original from parted out car.
Disgusting dealer

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Dealer sold me RE - manufactured driveshaft with new u- joints but with OLD carrier bearings!
I ordered it and when it came - the play on bearings was horrible - I showed them my old bearing that had still had no play . They were puzzled and sent that one back and ordered another one. Another one came and it was just a bit better. They said : just install it and if any problem later - we'll change it under warranty.
Like 40k later ( half year) I hear noise from bearing . I unscrewed it from chassis and it doesn't want to rotate under its own weight !! I have video.
WD-40 fixed it . I don't have time to leave my truck for few days to fix it - I'll just buy gently used original from parted out car.
Disgusting dealer

Not what your comments related to the drive shaft have to do with the steering rack issues?

4wheels

Disgusting dealer

Not what your comments related to the drive shaft have to do with the steering rack issues?
Point was that if reman steering rack failed after 2k - then dealer sold you someone's used rack that they never did any fix on it , just tightened it a bit ( there's a nut for it)
Just like they sold "reman" driveshaft

Gabe Athouse

Where is the tightening nut? I’ve had success adjusting this on steering box trucks, didn’t know rack units had an adjustment too.

Point was that if reman steering rack failed after 2k - then dealer sold you someone's used rack that they never did any fix on it , just tightened it a bit ( there's a nut for it)
Just like they sold "reman" driveshaft

Who knows I really doubt it. There was no charge to me. Hopefully it won't get worse. I do not believe it has anything to do with the adjustment feature built into the rack but that is just a guess.

Sounds like this is a common problem and that people have driven with this condition for very long distances so if that is what it is then so be it I will just have to live with it. Thank you MB engineers!

MotoXPress

I'm also experiencing this after only 22K miles. Dealer wants to replace the entire steering assembly. Lots of 'knocking' when on fire service roads.

Taking it to an independent shop. Any reason to think that its dangerous to drive like this?

After about 1,500 miles mine started to make a noise when I would turn the steering wheel. I crawled underneath and found that the shaft that enters the steering rack has some play in it and that is what I am hearing and feeling in the steering wheel when it is turned. Bare in mind this is now happening on my re-manufactured MB rack. With the original OE rack it was different much more severe and a was a definite clunk rather than what I have now with the re-manufactured rack which is a hardly noticeable noise and a slight feel. Hopefully it does not get worse

I have had all kinds of cars from Honda to Acura to Fords and on and on and I NEVER experienced something like this.

And this is a MERCEDES BENZ! Come on for "Pete's sake!" This is a widespread issue amongst us Sprinter owners.

Drove a 2008 high top 170 with only 28,000 miles on the clock sitting on the lot at my local MB Sprinter dealership. Steering did the same thing as mine. Once again the prestigious Mercedes Engineering at its finest!

Top Bottom