Fuel pump

MrDurst

I've got a leaking fuel pump on my 05 Sprinter 311CDI, it's the high pressure one on the front of the engine. There's supposed to be 2 types of pump, one with and one without a sensor. Does anyone know just by looking at the pump how I would identify which one it is?

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Yes, you can tell them apart visually.

Not cheap but best to replace with new - a used one which has had contaminated fuel through it can seriously upset your injectors.

For reference:

EDIT: Clearer image (of '02 OM612) inserted, showing sensor connection on pump

Attachments

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

Maybe the arrow shifted in the picture I see, but it's pointing at the low pressure pump. High pressure pump is below the low pressure pump and has 3 lobes. Haven't checked the high pressure pump on my '02 OM612, but the '03 service manual says it has an electrical connection to allow turning off one of the pump pistons (has 3) in case fuel temp gets too high. Is this what you're calling a sensor?

MrDurst

Thanks for the quick replies, sorry I didn't get back earlier. It's only been a small leak till now, but in the past 48 hrs has become worse. I was told there was 2 pumps for the 311CDI and the only difference was the sensor, that was it. Is the connection the bit sticking out on the right side as you look at it?

djc126

Hi. Wondering if anyone has had to replace either the low or high pressure fuel pump on their 02-03 Sprinters (OM612 engine) yet?

Also, how many kms/miles did the pump last?

What are the signs to look for when the pump is failing?
Thanks.

talkinghorse43

Hi. Wondering if anyone has had to replace either the low or high pressure fuel pump on their 02-03 Sprinters (OM612 engine) yet?

Also, how many kms/miles did the pump last?

What are the signs to look for when the pump is failing?
Thanks.
I haven't yet had either fail on my '02 at 164k miles, but many have had HP pump failures. I recall 1 LP pump failure Search here and on the yahoo sprintervan forum for details of both. As I remember, the HP pump failure begins as a fuel leak from one of the 3 cylinder heads when cold (seals when hot) and eventually leaks all the time. I suppose the HP pump could wear internally and eventually fail to provide adequate pressure/flow, but I haven't heard of that type failure.

Top Bottom