Need some Help Guy's...

mgjessop

Well I finally think the larger 215/85/16 I put on my 2005 3500 Has come back to haunt me... I have my ABS and Traction control light's come on as soon as I hit 60mph... The cruise control won't work at all... If I shut down the engine, the light go away untill I hit 60mph... Do I need to have the ecu reset? If so is there a DRBIII tool that I can get that won't cost a arm and a leg? Thank you so much for any help...

Did you just install the new size tires and then the problems started? Even if yes, can you throw the ones you removed back on? It may not be the tires. Coincidence can strike coincidentally. Hope this helps.

mgjessop

Nope they are not new, I have close to 45,000 with them on... I now longer have the stock rims and tires... Does the ECU need to be reset to show the bigger tire size? I just want to explore every option before heading to the rip off dealer...:thinking:

Not that I have experience with this, but if the ECU was happy for 45,000 miles it is probably unlikely that this is related to the tire size. Have you tried a generic code reader to see what codes are being set? The DRBIII will read more codes than a generic unit, but it is way more expensive to own. Have you run this question on the Yahoo Sprinter forum? Doktor A seems to watch there more.

mgjessop

I checked all my codes, and I didn't get any codes...

I think I am might know the problem... I am sorry guy's but I had a Brain Fart...:bash:

I got a flat on my driver side front tire... I have put my 195/70/15 Spare tire on...

Would the smaller size tire in the front make the ABS shut off?

I am waiting to get a new tire, it should be in on friday....

Last edited:

As the hub with the smaller spare tire on it will now be turning at a faster rate than the other three larger tires I'd say the computer would notice. I wonder why 60 mph is the trigger point? I'd wait until after all 4 tires are similar size again before doing anything.

mgjessop

Got the tire today, and everything is back to normal... Boy these sprinters are a little picky when it comes to tire size...:lol:

Thanks for the help...

rb3232

So are 215/85/16's still desireable? can I use this size on the rear and the original size on the front?

2004 T1N 2500 ext & tall Thanks, Ross

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
...Would the smaller size tire in the front make the ABS shut off?
Yes: ECU monitors each wheel speed, too much of a variance at one or more is a trigger as you've proved.

Interesting point though, as SuSi models have an intermediate sized spare which is neither one size (front axle) or the other (rear). Perhaps on these axles ECU is coded to permit such a variance, whereas in the main they aren't?

So are 215/85/16's still desireable? can I use this size on the rear and the original size on the front?
No, but same all round fine.

Last edited:

Re: Need some Help Guy's... [Spare Installed]

I know that this is an old thread. It seems the question about installing different tire sizes from OEM comes up regularly so the spare remaining a different size is a consideration.
I checked all my codes, and I didn't get any codes...
Going by a tone ring problem which I just had I'm not surprised that there were no codes available when using a generic scan tool. My rear wheel speed sensor issue set many codes in my 2004 modules. The ECM came up "OK" with no DTC's. All the codes set during the wheel speed sensor problem were stored in the CAB - antilock brakes, SLA - ESM - shift lever module, TCM - tramission control module, ESP - electronic stability program, to name most. Most generic scan tools cannot access the information stored in those modules. If there isn't a companion code set in the ECM then there will be no codes displayed.

I think I might know the problem... I am sorry guy's but I had a Brain Fart...:bash:

I got a flat on my driver side front tire... I have put my 195/70/15 Spare tire on...

Would the smaller size tire in the front make the ABS shut off?
Installing a spare of a different size will definitely be noticed by the computers and will disable the safety systems. That definitely caused the symptoms described above.

When the modules detect a wheel speed or safety system problem the ASR, ESP, and ABS safety systems are disabled to prevent the systems from destroying the drive train. Depending upon why those lights are on, you can still drive the vehicle, but you will not have the benefit of the safety systems. One caution is that you must be certain to check that your brake lights are still working.

By Nelson Sprinter's comments apparently having different sized tires front to back will initiate a different response by the computers than a different sized spare will cause.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=260801#post260801

There is more information about the wheel sensor codes that I found during my problems in this post.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=260696#post260696

vic

Last edited:

Boater

I have begun to suspect that having a different sized spare cause LHM due to ABS speed sensor disagreement is a side effect manufacturers have taken advantage of to limit the speed you can drive on the spare, certainly for the majority of passenger cars that now have a space saver spare with a low speed limit......

Top Bottom