Built in Charger fuse

Pnwsquid

I understand there was a write up on locating and replacing the fuse on the charger behind the rear seat. I'm not able to find this on here or Yahoo - anyone happen to have that information? I rarely get to plug the westy in, and noticed that in doing so recently their doesn't seem to be a voltage increase indicating a charge...the fuse seems to be the most logical place to start. Any other ideas are welcomed!

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
Yes, remember someone posting somewhere with photos of how they had to replace internal fuse but it wasn't easy to find the replacement fuse. Would guess it'd be a really old post so maybe on the Yahoo Sprinter Westfalia site--check photos section?

Assume you have the manual.

http://sprinterwestfalia.com/page/3/

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
An earlier poster also had a problem with the power cord to the battery charger coming loose (thereby cutting power to the charger).

Bernd Pfrommer

Yesterday morning my battery charger (the one in the wall next to the coach batteries) kicked the bucket. I checked: power is coming in through the kettle plug connector, but battery is not being charged, and the charge plug symbol is not showing up on the display console. Batteries are still charging via the alternator.
I looked at the fuses inside the charger but didn't see any obvious flaw with them. Time to look for an alternative charger, since I wanted to upgrade to LiFePO4 in the near future anyways. Any recommendations for coach/starter battery charger are welcome. Features I'm looking for:
1) be able to charge LiFePO4 and AGM batteries
2) handle both DC input from solar panels and AC input from shore power.
3) be able to charge coach and starter batteries
I would also very much like to have a monitoring system along with it that displays the battery voltage / percentage full (not necessarily on the console) and if possible the charge and discharge currents. Ideally this would also show the individual cell voltage of the LiFePO4 cells.
Will also have a look at this thread:

onemanvan

Yesterday morning my battery charger (the one in the wall next to the coach batteries) kicked the bucket. I checked: power is coming in through the kettle plug connector, but battery is not being charged, and the charge plug symbol is not showing up on the display console. Batteries are still charging via the alternator.
I looked at the fuses inside the charger but didn't see any obvious flaw with them. Time to look for an alternative charger, since I wanted to upgrade to LiFePO4 in the near future anyways. Any recommendations for coach/starter battery charger are welcome. Features I'm looking for:
1) be able to charge LiFePO4 and AGM batteries
2) handle both DC input from solar panels and AC input from shore power.
3) be able to charge coach and starter batteries
I would also very much like to have a monitoring system along with it that displays the battery voltage / percentage full (not necessarily on the console) and if possible the charge and discharge currents. Ideally this would also show the individual cell voltage of the LiFePO4 cells.
Will also have a look at this thread:
I've been tinkering with lifepo4 the past few years.
Most recently I purchased four 280ah cells from a vendor on Alibaba and did a DIY 12 volt lfp battery build.
I recently returned from a 70 day dry camping trip and was very happy with the performance of these cells.
FWIW I purchased the batched & matched EVE cells which cost a bit more but I think they're worth it - roughly $600 with shipping.
The Kisae DMT1250 charger worked well this summer also - I sort of modified a little bit...
I'm using a Thornwave bluetooth battery monitor to toggle a relay - which I paralled with the Kisae on/off switch - to control charging.
I incorporated an Overkill 4s 120 amp BMS to protect the battery.
Going into detail on this install could fill a few books:)
For additional info you might try a keyword search on this forum 'username' onemanvan 'keywords' kisae, dmt1250, thornwave, battery, kerstner
If a picture is worth a thousand words then here's a photo album with lot's of pictures taken over the past few years:)

Bernd Pfrommer

I've been tinkering with lifepo4 the past few years.
Most recently I purchased four 280ah cells from a vendor on Alibaba and did a DIY 12 volt lfp battery build.
I recently returned from a 70 day dry camping trip and was very happy with the performance of these cells.
FWIW I purchased the batched & matched EVE cells which cost a bit more but I think they're worth it - roughly $600 with shipping.
The Kisae DMT1250 charger worked well this summer also - I sort of modified a little bit...
I'm using a Thornwave bluetooth battery monitor to toggle a relay - which I paralled with the Kisae on/off switch - to control charging.
I incorporated an Overkill 4s 120 amp BMS to protect the battery.
Going into detail on this install could fill a few books:)
For additional info you might try a keyword search on this forum 'username' onemanvan 'keywords' kisae, dmt1250, thornwave, battery, kerstner
If a picture is worth a thousand words then here's a photo album with lot's of pictures taken over the past few years:)
That custom battery you built is an absolute beast! Wish I had the time/skill to build something like that. I also have to respect the WAF (wife acceptance factor): in a pinch it should be serviceable by somebody other than myself (as if I'd ever let anybody work on the coach).
So for several reasons I will have to cobble this thing together from off-the-shelf components. I fly model airplanes and we always charge/maintain our batteries with full control over all cells. As such I share your misgivings about "drop-in replacements" with a BMS doing who-knows-what with the cells. Battleborn seems to have a solid product, but alas AFAIK their batteries are the least talkative. The Renogy DCC50S is more feature rich than the Kisae DMT1250 but I can't really warm up to the Renogy brand (instructions in broken English make me nervous). Any pointers to the least evil alternatives to DIY are greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom