Impressions after my first 1000 miles in my 2016 4x4 highroof crewvan

box_trotter

With the exception of a few minor annoyances, I love the van. We bought ours for family adventures, and it appears that it will serve its purpose well. Most of my driving so far has been in the PNW in dark, cold, wet weather.

What annoyances?

(A) The fuel guage seems to be wildly inaccurate (see my mileage vs fuel consumption here http://i.imgur.com/1Sof2XX.png). This appears to have nothing to do with hills.

(B) noise. Resonating engine drone (worst at 2100rpm), panel noise with bumps, and the slight winding sound (which I'm told is produced by the transfer case). I've been reading into sound dampening/sound deadening, but the noisy ride is one of the first mods on my (and wife's) list.

(C) clunks? I read about people's clunks. I've had a few, but not enough to be super concerned. I started noticing at around 600 miles. To me this appears to have a pattern with torque and cold temps, and I can feel the engine-braking is usually engaged when it happens. If this gets worse, I will raise the issue. If the van didn't make the noise on the test drive, MB saying "that's normal" isn't an acceptable answer. Again, I don't remember noticing clunks when the van is warmed up.

(D) I got into a bit of a crosswind and the van definitely feels it. I guess that's just something that comes with tall vans.

(E) Navigation with google maps on my phone is far superior to the Becker navigation, but I think I would still use becker if I was in a place with no good data coverage.

And the pros:

(A) 4x4. I haven't had any trouble engaging/disengaging 4x4. My manual says to engage it while the vehicle is stopped. I have read in areas of this forum that "you have to be going 4-6 mph" but according to my manual (and experience) that is not accurate for 2016 models. We had a chance to try this out up a steep access road, and it performed very well. The low-range torque on the climb felt every bit as good as my 4x4 Toyota. The engine braking while coming down was impressive. Even the stock configuration gives plenty of clearance. Of course I'm not going to be rock-crawling with this van, but it's nice to know we can still get into some of our favorite spots that we got to with our old truck.

(B) I've been getting 17 to 19 MPG with an in-town empty van.

(C) I've found the van easy to park and I like the handling. Praise the the huge rear view mirrors, convex mirrors, and backup cam.

(D) I'm definitely glad I got heated mirrors, lumbar seats, and rear defrost.

(E) visibility for me and passengers is awesome (we almost got a cargo van with no windows).

(D) when it gets up to speed on the freeway, it's smooth as butter

I've been hesitant to start drilling and sticking things to the van until I'm 100% sure I like it. Here are some other mods I want to do (feel free to make suggestions):

(A) Louder, bassier speakers.

(B) 10" slot windows on the rear panels like these: http://www.outsidevan.com/custom-narrow-window.php

(C) curtains

Last edited:

pfflyer

Congratulations on your new van. The first hole I drilled was hard for me also and it ended up being 14" x 14" hole. Any pictures of the van. We all like to see pictures preferable imbedded in the thread instead of links.

KentuckyWR

Ditto on your comments. I have a 2015 4x4 High Roof Crew with just under 900 miles on it and my findings are identical. The only potential difference I noted is that you stated your rear view mirror was "huge" mine is not . . . I need to look into that.

Here's a link to my audio upgrade write up: http://annessky.net/blog/?p=1888

Congrats on the new ride!

Eric Experience

Box trotter.
Thanks for your report. Most of the noise will stop if you adjust your tyre pressure down to 30psi rear and 35 front. The droning at 2000 rpm will stop if you adjust the drive train flanges to be the same on the back of the gear box and the rear pinion. Eric

sailquik

Eric,
Could you explain further on how to "adjust the drive train flanges to be the same on the back of the gear box and the rear pinion".
Machinists, toolmakers, engineering techs, and craftsmen would match mark the flanges to limit run out on the flanges (both radial and lateral)
but so far I see no markings (from the MB Factory in Germany) that indicate that the flanges have ever been matched.
Do you have a technique.....what tools/gauges to use.....any thing you can suggest to elaborate on correcting the flange orientation on Sprinters,
particularly the 4325 mm/170" wheelbase Sprinters with the 3 piece drive shaft?
Thanks in advance,
Roger

Box trotter.
Thanks for your report. Most of the noise will stop if you adjust your tyre pressure down to 30psi rear and 35 front. The droning at 2000 rpm will stop if you adjust the drive train flanges to be the same on the back of the gear box and the rear pinion. Eric
@Box Teotter - Your review is identical to my experience. Same with the clunks. Let us know if you do the above.

Eric Experience

Roger.
The vibration is not caused by run out, it is lack of cancellation of the variations in phase as it rotates. The normal alignment of the flanges involves measuring the angle of the flange in the vertical dimension, IE the gear box output is looking down at 2 degrees +or- 1 degree. The first shaft should be also looking down at the same angle plus a .2 deg angle to promote lubrication. Then the diff pinion should be looking up at the same angle. to make this happen you can adjust the height of the gear box mount, plus the height of the center bearing and place a tapered spacer between the rear spring and the axle. To do this you must be able to measure accurately, better than .1 deg. To get the best result you should have the rear axle loaded to you normal cruising weight. Eric

sailquik

Hi again Eric,
So what do you use to measure the angles?
Some sort of precision protractor/clinometer/angle measurement device?
http://jniolon.clubfte.com/drivelinephasing/drivelinephasing.html
Perhaps a laser alignment set up like this?
http://en-us.fluke.com/products/vib...ols/fluke-830-laser-shaft-alignment-tool.html
I have a rumbling vibration noise right @ 60 mph in my 2014 4x2 4325mm/170" wheelbase Cargo with the OM-651 2.143 liter Inline 4 cylinder and 7G-Tronic
7 speed auto transmission.
Would sure be great to check the alignment of the trans output flange, the center steady bearing bore, and the input flange on the rear differential to ensure
that all of them are in alignment and phase.
So many others have this same vibration, and MB Sprinter USA/Daimler Vans Engineering USA LLC don't seem to have a clue as to how to diagnose/fix this
issue.
They've replaced lots of drive shafts, and reduced the issue to some degree, but they have not really come up with a solution.
Thanks for your help,
Roger

Last edited:

KentuckyWR

As for the droning sort of sound at 2100 RPM, I learned something about that today. I drove about 110 miles and it was barely perceptible. The difference is that I had about 650 lbs. worth of dirt bikes, gear, tools, ramps, stands, and so forth in the cargo area. It is my assumption that the extra weight makes for a better alignment of the drivetrain components as noted by Eric Experience in this thread. I'm interested in what happens with a little more weight. Mine is not a daily driver and 75% of the time that its running down the road, bikes, gear, and so forth will be loaded in the cargo area.

Boones

I agree with many of the comments - the fuel gauge is definitely an indication only (and, as already mentioned, it is nothing to do with slopes).

zither99

As for the droning sort of sound at 2100 RPM, I learned something about that today. I drove about 110 miles and it was barely perceptible. The difference is that I had about 650 lbs. worth of dirt bikes, gear, tools, ramps, stands, and so forth in the cargo area. It is my assumption that the extra weight makes for a better alignment of the drivetrain components as noted by Eric Experience in this thread. I'm interested in what happens with a little more weight. Mine is not a daily driver and 75% of the time that its running down the road, bikes, gear, and so forth will be loaded in the cargo area.
I noticed the 2000-2200rpm droning has reduced itself to the point that I almost don't experience it at all. We do have snow and dirt on the roads, which the springs are covered in, and I do have varying amounts of cargo between 200-1000lbs on different days. Maybe they needed some time to break in...

The whirring from the drivetrain is whats driving me CRAZY!! With the snow, I have been running in 4x4 mode almost all the time, and believe it or not, it's actually QUIETER with in engaged. It seems like in 2wd some open ended shaft is just spinning unbalanced or something.

box_trotter

After shopping around for sound deadening, I put on some fatmat and wow the panel noise is way better. On big bumps, they can still make a "thud" which I would prefer to the previous "thuMMMmmmm"

I had initially planned to cover the entire rear but after doing just the big blank rear side panels, I'm gonna stop there. I found tiles of sound deadening that MB already placed on the roof, door, and other side panel areas.

Currently working on some cedar panels, insulation, and L track for the back.

zither99

After shopping around for sound deadening, I put on some fatmat and wow the panel noise is way better. On big bumps, they can still make a "thud" which I would prefer to the previous "thuMMMmmmm"

I had initially planned to cover the entire rear but after doing just the big blank rear side panels, I'm gonna stop there. I found tiles of sound deadening that MB already placed on the roof, door, and other side panel areas.

Currently working on some cedar panels, insulation, and L track for the back.
Have you had any luck with isolating noise from the front diff? I have 1lb MLV under my front matts but it didn't do much for isolation. I'm thinking of Thinsulate in the whole firewall and wheelwells this summer

Top Bottom