Sprinter 3500 wont' start

Humam1953

My 2011 Sprinter-based motorhome (MB3500, 38000 miles) won't start. I had moved it a few yards in the drive way to clean leaves off. It had started up ok, did seem not to run at its best (had it used a few days before without problems). When I wanted to move it back after a few hours, it won't start. That is it even does not crank. Headlights are full there and even do not dim when turning the key. Gear lever is in Park, even wiggled it while turning the key. The ScanGauge does not show any codes. I charged the battery in the vehicle overnight, no change. I attempted to jump start, nothing. I took the battery out and had it tested and it was determined to be in good condition.

Any suggestions are much welcomed, nearest MB dealer is 50 miles away.

lindenengineering

First check the shifter cable at the transmission housing bracket hasn't come adrift.
Held by a puny plastic delrin clip that can drop off, it may be registering being in a gear but the shifter is in Park fooling the operator.
Vehicle will not crank when this condition occurs--which by the way is not unheard of!
Dennis

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Do you hear a relay click when you turn the key to the start position? If so, when you try to start again (without turning the key off) does it click again or do you hear nothing on subsequent attempts?

vertigo

2007 NCV3 3500 3.0l
First check the shifter cable at the transmission housing bracket hasn't come adrift.
Held by a puny plastic delrin clip that can drop off, it may be registering being in a gear but the shifter is in Park fooling the operator.
Vehicle will not crank when this condition occurs--which by the way is not unheard of!
Dennis
Always start with whatever Lindenengineering advises. If that does not solve your issue, then consider advice from the rest of us. My contribution, for example, would be to suggest that you check and see whether any of the fuses in the panel under the dash have blown. :smilewink:

showkey

+ 2 on the simple stuff. Fuse # 23 in the under seat fuse has been report blown causing not crank. Usually during cold weather conditions and the factory 20 amp fuse is replaced with the correct 25 amp fuse. Some member received a notification letter ?

Cvollmar

Check fuse no. 16. Also when the starters go oin these they usually give no warning. Could be something as simple as that. I have changed lots of them.

Humam1953

Thanks everyone! It was fuse 23 under the dashboard. The melt point was so small that I needed to examine the fuse in bright light. Replaced it and the Sprinter was running again. Next time I need to replace it I will use a 25 Amp rather the current 20 Amp fuse.

Just imagine I would have towed it for 50 miles to learn it is a fuse. This forum is a lifesaver.

Top Bottom