Best Year Sprinter?

BradKW

Hello! I've been lurking in this and other forums for a couple months, trying to educate myself towards making a good decision (for me) as to a Sprinter purchase that will become a stealth RV.

When I started this process, I was looking towards 2013-2014, which is about as high as I could finance. After reading, I find it difficult to decide, and that perhaps the nicest, low mileage 2006 might be my best move. I see some priced at 22k+, but many more seem quite reasonable.

But I worry how much my opinions are being formed by random anecdotal experiences that people post about, especially negative stuff regarding 2007+ maintenance issues.

Of all the places I look, this forum seems to have the most depth of knowledge abd experience with Sprinters, so I guess my question is, Is there a Sprinter year that is generally acknowledged to be a great bet? A year to avoid?

Thank you for any input, it is appreciated! :cheers:

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Yes and NO .
It depends on your needs and wants , purpose of the van, registering jurisdiction etc
Each year and model has it's own watch out for list and benefits.
3500s are sometimes more expensive to operate, license ,insure depending where you are .
Every model has unique parts, problems and fixes, fuel economy, mechanic finding challenges.
There is no consensus on which is better, but if you tell us when , where, with whom, how it will be driven, we may be able to focus your view to a type More info discussion below
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11119&highlight=year

Last edited:

BradKW

Thanks Nelson! That's the thread I'm looking for...somehow my searching ability was a /fail. Reading through the pages now :)

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
People tend to like what they have (including me), and that's all polls usually reveal. In truth all options have their pros and cons, the T1N models can exhibit black death, leaky injectors, stuck glow plugs, harmonic balancer problems, etc. The later NCV3 V6 is subject to its own set of problems, primarily with its more complex emissions systems. To my mind (purely personal opinion) the sweet spot is the 2007-2008 models because you get the newer NCV3 chassis and can eliminate the lion's share of engine issues by disabling EGR and swirl valve systems. The new I4 seems to have a good record so far but that would require buying a new vehicle.

vilemd

People tend to like what they have (including me), and that's all polls usually reveal. In truth all options have their pros and cons, the T1N models can exhibit black death, leaky injectors, stuck glow plugs, harmonic balancer problems, etc. The later NCV3 V6 is subject to its own set of problems, primarily with its more complex emissions systems. To my mind (purely personal opinion) the sweet spot is the 2007-2008 models because you get the newer NCV3 chassis and can eliminate the lion's share of engine issues by disabling EGR and swirl valve systems. The new I4 seems to have a good record so far but that would require buying a new vehicle.

hey thanks SMILLER I didn't know that 07/08 the egr could be modded. iv had diesel vw for 7 years , over 50 mpg in my 3 beetles and now looking for sprinter to convert to rv. love the look of the 07+ but didn't want it cause I herd you cannot mess with the egr

smiller

You 'can' disable it with an ECU reprogram from Green Diesel Engineering. Whether you 'should' or not gets debated ad nauseam, that is your call.

vilemd

okay, yea I just looked it up. I thought it was some type of block off plate for egr or different pipe but I guess he said you just hook it up to the obd2 and press run and your done. but dam pretty expensive for a 1 time reprogram $600

smiller

okay, yea I just looked it up. I thought it was some type of block off plate for egr or different pipe but I guess he said you just hook it up to the obd2 and press run and your done. but dam pretty expensive for a 1 time reprogram $600
Yet it is but a fraction of the cost of most swirl valve or EGR system repairs.

Top Bottom