• droning

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • none

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • all 3

Votes: 44 25.1%

• Total voters

Heith1

I'm in Australia with a right hand drive same model...... Same problem and Mercedes Benz here don' t seem to know or care.

Fharrison

I definitely have the clunking noise on a regular basis, also a lot of the whirring, not sure about droning on my 2016 144 Passenger 4x4. Dealer says the clunking is "normal" on Sprinters due to the long drive train, not a real good answer in my opinion. The whirring is considered normal on 4x4s was also the tech's opinion. Does anyone have a 4x4 that does NOT whir? That would help shoot some holes in that theory. By the way, my original equipment Continental Vanco tires whirred just as much as the replacement BFG KO2s, it is not a tire issue.

zither99

the whirring subsided on mine as I have gotten more miles on. I have over 15,000km and my worn in KO2 tires make more noise than anything else. My studded nokian winter tires are silent as heck, i noticed when i switched from winter to summer wheels.

The droning isn't as evident on 144 sprinters. my brother in-law with his doens't even notice it because it happens in such a short rpm range compared to the 170" vans.

next up putting on firestone destination at's for a quiet on the road ride.

hamm

I just took delivery of a 2016 144 high top cargo built around May 10. I finally got it out on the road yesterday, it's got about 200 miles on it. Compared to my old T1N it's a dream to drive. However, that droning sound at 2100 RPM is insane. I was hoping that the newer ones would not have the problem. I just want to confirm that new rear leaf springs seem to be the cure? I'd like to go into the dealer armed with information.

KentuckyWR

These vans are designed to have a load. If you are carrying a load, the droning sounds subsides. I think it is related to angle of the driveshaft. Mine has a load 90% of the time so it has become a non-issue for me.

hamm

I just got the van back from the dealer where they installed new vibration damping rear leaf springs. What a difference--nice and quiet now. This vibration damping leaf spring is available as an option (option #CT1:$125) if you buy a new cargo van and comes standard on new passenger vans. My neighbor has an identical van to mine, built one day later, only he ordered that option and never had the droning noise. I'm not sure why it's not standard, in fact the mechanic and service adviser wondered the same thing after driving the van before and after.

est1980

Just bought a 2016 170 WB 4x4 yesterday, in Spokane WA, and experienced the drone on my 6-7 hour trek back to Bend OR. Sounds like I'm in the same boat as the others before me. Kind of sucks to constantly avoid 60mph (or downshift). Other than that I'm very excited.

poffdaddy

I have had my 2016 144 low roof 4x4 for about 3 weeks now. Just turned 600 miles and the clunking began in the last few days. Most noticeable cold when taking off from a stop and when downshifting to 1st gear but today I heard it a few times even warmed up during around town driving. It doesn't sound too serious and doesn't seem to effect performance but it makes me nervous. It's a bit hard to believe this is normal. I guess I'll just monitor it and watch for others experiences. Don't have any droning or oscillations (yet).

mcrox

For the sliding door squeeking you can adjust the bumper by screwing it in or out. I've had great success eliminating squeeking of the sliding door by cleaning the door seal all around and the metal it touches....
Brand new crew van with very noisy side door over rough pavement. Dealer (300 miles away) said bring it in 3 weeks (soonest they could look at it) and leave it for 4 hours because it's complicated. Simple adjust of bumpers at rear of slider fixed it. Thanks!

MDMason

Ok, I haven't read about a definitive fix. Did I miss something? My dealer is not getting any answers from MB

hamm

My dealer was very aware of these problems and fixed them. The droning at around 2100 RPM is fixed by replacing the rear springs with noise-damping springs. The driveline clunking issue is a simple fix with a shim kit. These fixes should be well known by dealers.

Sprinter SS

In regards to the shim kit are you referring to the rear spring shackle shims? I see Oberaninger has these on their website for fine tuning the rear axle angle.

I have a new 4x4 and it lets out a loud "PING" when I put it in gear or go into reverse. I looked at all of the u-joint flanges and all is tight. Did not do it when I picked it up, I drove it 2600 miles to Moab and back and now its doing it.

Scheduled to take to the dealer but they have not even seen a 4x4 yet!

hamm

I haven't actually seen the shims, it's something the dealer installed. I believe that they removed the flanges, installed a shim, and retorqued. The driveline clunk typically appears after these vans gets a few miles on them. Mine appeared around 800 miles. My dealer has been great, he told me early on that if I start hearing that clunking sound to be sure and bring it in. He has also been annoyed with the factory for shipping these vans with known problems. I really love this van but there are a few quality issues that are annoying.

camillo

I have had my 2016 144 low roof 4x4 for about 3 weeks now. Just turned 600 miles and the clunking began in the last few days. Most noticeable cold when taking off from a stop and when downshifting to 1st gear but today I heard it a few times even warmed up during around town driving. It doesn't sound too serious and doesn't seem to effect performance but it makes me nervous. It's a bit hard to believe this is normal. I guess I'll just monitor it and watch for others experiences. Don't have any droning or oscillations (yet).
Take it in to the dealer. There is a technical bulletin on it. Mine brand new 3500 4x4 is now in the shop at the dealer where they are replacing something in the driveshaft/transfer case. Tell your service department that you understand there is a tech bulletin out and they will find that and repair it.

Jimmy Dale

I took mine in for a dealer recall that fixed the clunk. It involved green lock tight and took all day but seems to have fixed it.

Top Bottom