Kwikee step failure

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Mine was hit, I didn't see a tire in the road until it was too late (really need to polish my headlights) and I drove over it. Fortunately, it turned out to be just the tread of a tire. Loud noise, but no body damage. That is until I looked carefully at the step. Apparently, it got bent back, in the folded position. It still works, it struggles and needs to be fixed. Any thoughts? I fear it will bust the fiberglass it is mounted to if I pry it trying to bend it back.

-Randy

CB1945

Mine was hit, I didn't see a tire in the road until it was too late (really need to polish my headlights) and I drove over it. Fortunately, it turned out to be just the tread of a tire. Loud noise, but no body damage. That is until I looked carefully at the step. Apparently, it got bent back, in the folded position. It still works, it struggles and needs to be fixed. Any thoughts? I fear it will bust the fiberglass it is mounted to if I pry it trying to bend it back.

-Randy
It is mounted to steel not fibreglass. If it were mounted to fiberglass it would have came apart from the gator.
I would try straightening but on my last coach the previous owner had put a support under it and the lowered the suspension bending the arms. I tried to straighten it but eventually replaced the step. The bare step is not real expensive and you just swap your old motor/control over to the new one. I wouldn't let it go too long as the resistance will eventually ruin the motor/gearbox.

ablock

You can use a magnet to activate the steps other than having to open and close the door by putting it over the door frame switch cover plate. You really need to crawl under and see if the motor is bound in someway or if it has power. If your voltmeter doesn't have sheath piercing probes you can use straight pins into the wires to touch the probes against to check voltages. Here are Kwikee documents that I have collected that might help you troubleshoot.
Thanks SSTraveler. I do have sheath-piercing probes, though I prefer not to used them on wires exposed to the elements. I'll see what I can determine with some more exploration with the DVM.

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
I use hot glue sticks and a lighter to heat the glue and seal wires and connections. Just heat the stick with the lighter until you can see the glue getting liquidy, apply to area, and use wet fingers to smooth out and get the glue to cover as you need. Keep following this sequence until you get the coverage and seal your looking for. I use this method of hot glue sealing on all manner of DIY projects. I use Gorilla High Temp sticks from Walmart, https://www.walmart.com/ip/High-Tem...hguid=c4515726-2a7-168a95167a4712&athena=true, but you can also buy at Lowes and HD. They come in 2 sizes, I find the smaller ~1/4" ones the best to use.

Last edited:

TStiles

2018 Unity CB
For a bit less hassle, you might try Starbrite Liquid Electrical Tape. It comes in clear and three colors. I've used the stuff for years. Seals anything that needs sealing, can be applied at any angle, and you wouldn't need a flame. Just something to consider.

Top Bottom