Harmonic Balancer

PATECO

Started getting a squealing noise last Friday, and after looking at it, I thought it was the belt tensioner. So Saturday I bought a replacement, and tried to change it myself. After I got the belt off, I noticed that the ring weight on the balancer was not attached, and was the true cause of the squealing noise.

I am not sure if this is a job I can do myself. After reading the threads here, and searching online, It looks like it takes some specific tools to do this correctly (Harmonic balancer puller, Harmonic Balancer press, and a crankshaft/balancer lock to torque against when removing/reinstalling.)

Has anyone here done this without these specific tools? Are there any tricks? Can this be done by someone with basic tools? I have good socket sets, and air impact and wrench.

I don't have this tool #8932

obie

'04 long & tall passenger
I bought the tool you linked to and that was it. I was lucky enough with some patience, a little light tapping and some wiggling to get the balancer off and on without a puller. As long as you have or can get a big torque wrench you should be able to get it done.

PATECO

I bought the tool you linked to and that was it. I was lucky enough with some patience, a little light tapping and some wiggling to get the balancer off and on without a puller. As long as you have or can get a big torque wrench you should be able to get it done.
Did you have to remove the Radiator and Fan, or were you able to do it without opening up the front of the engine bay?

obie

I just took out the fan and shroud. That was probably the toughest part.

PATECO

I got a couple of quotes from local mechanics to do this, and they were not in my budget at this time. However, I need this truck for work, so I just ordered the locking tool from KTC Auto Tools - Mercedes Benz Flywheel Locking Tool I have also ordered the new Balancer, serpentine belt, and pulleys (tensioner and idler). All parts should be here next week. Until then, I am stuck using my wife's Honda minivan, so wish me luck.

obie

Make sure you get a new bolt, and it's the right one. After you have everything apart, and going back together, make sure your locking tool is engaged and retighten it. The last couple of degrees on my torquing procedure my tool let go and I whacked my elbow on the little nipple sticking out of the rad resevoir and busted it off. Luckily I was able to repair it and my elbow eventually quit throbbing.

312d

there is a trick to not buy the tool, but it is too risky, and everybody here said it is a NO NO, that was not worth the hazards involved and i have to tell you they are right, to be healthy is very precious, more than a whole van.

kjg912

2006 T1N 2500
Make sure you get a OEM Balancer, not an aftermarket if you want it to last! This along with the tensioner pulley are not items you want to scrimp on!

PATECO

Make sure you get a OEM Balancer, not an aftermarket if you want it to last! This along with the tensioner pulley are not items you want to scrimp on!
Oops, I bought the Doorman aftermarket parts. They are not here yet. Should arrive middle of next week. What problems can/should I expect.

obie

With the Dorman HB? You'll get your moneys worth out of that tool when you're doing it again next year. You could give the other stuff a try, but I wouldn't put anything but MB on the crank.

Luce

With the Dorman HB? You'll get your moneys worth out of that tool when you're doing it again next year. You could give the other stuff a try, but I wouldn't put anything but MB on the crank.
yep MB sure does know how to make a pulley.. they fail in an exacting and predictable manner.
The MB engineers totally nailed their harmonic balancer. The evidence to try another brand is that we're all replacing oe units, and I for one have never had a HB fail on any other vehicles..
cheers,

obie

Read more. I'm not saying the MB is perfect, and I also can't figure out why they don't last, but they last a heck of a lot longer than anything else out there. Unless you want to enlighten us on a fix-it-once-and-be-done brand.

lindenengineering

yep MB sure does know how to make a pulley.. they fail in an exacting and predictable manner.
The MB engineers totally nailed their harmonic balancer. The evidence to try another brand is that we're all replacing oe units, and I for one have never had a HB fail on any other vehicles..
cheers,
Luce
Then from where I sit reading your post I have a tendency to conclude you haven't been walking around on this planet for long enough or been actively participating in the auto industry at manufacturing or repair levels.
I can think of many vehicles that exhibit damper failure some not as obvious as the 5 banger MB engine perhaps.
I can think of one engine in particular (a 2.5 litre gasoline) that "quietly" destroys its damper unit quite often and unsuspecting mechanics doing a timing belt job end up wrecking the valves, pistons and often the heads due to it.
Another unit that has just flashed through my mind that causes a slip in FIE timing references and bad starting,
'Try finding that with yer Maxidas::rolleyes:
Dennis

seans

Dennis,
Any possible correlation between low octane US gas, hard cold starts due to dead glow plugs, vibration from RSN, rear AC start-up chatter, and damper/bolt failure? I'm trying to avoid a damper problem by taking steps to minimize vibration (45 cetane fuel, RSN fix, not use the rear AC, etc) and wondering if vehicles with harmonic balancer problems have these problems as well?
Sean

I bought the tool and had no problems. Swing out the radiator, remove the fan, replaced the HB, water pump, alternator, resonator, belt tensioner, belt and anything else while I had it open. No problem with any of it, got the parts at Europarts SD.
It took a whole case of beer to do it.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

PATECO

Oops, I bought the Doorman aftermarket parts. They are not here yet. Should arrive middle of next week. What problems can/should I expect.
So the Doorman balancer I bought and installed in October self destructed yesterday. The balance ring went flying out the bottom of the engine bay taking the belt with it while I was driving to work. Managed to drive two blocks home and park it, without further issue.

Where would you suggest getting an OEM Balancer. I don't want to have to do this again next year.

PATECO

Has anyone tried the

Dayco PowerBond OEM - Harmonic Balancer PB1582N

It is $178 vs the $38 Doorman?

Last edited:

Has anyone tried the

Dayco Engine Harmonic Balancer
Part Number: 17864-05336976
Notes: Premium OEM Replacement Balancer

It is $178 vs the $38 Doorman?
This does not answer your question.

I don't believe that all parts need to be OEM or from a dealership, but sometimes it just makes sense.

Given your recent experience, why would you not buy an OEM or at least the same manufacturer as OEM?

You may not be as lucky with minimal damage with future non-OEM failures.

vic

Top Bottom