Intermittent CEL

Paul_E_D

I'm having a fairly regular, but totally intermittent CEL these days. I had the codes read at the parts store and they come back as: glow plug 3, glowplug 4, and Crank Position Sensor. The van has not misfired or failed to start/run.

Replace all three and see what happens?

I'm having a fairly regular, but totally intermittent CEL these days. I had the codes read at the parts store and they come back as: glow plug 3, glowplug 4, and Crank Position Sensor. The van has not misfired or failed to start/run.

Replace all three and see what happens?
The crank position sensor may be indicating a problem. A proper scan tool will give an indication of how old the code is.

My experience while running with bad glow plugs was that the CEL would go off for the summer and then return in the Fall when the ECM wanted/expected them to work. If you change glow plugs don't ignore the Glow Plug Module.

vic

Paul_E_D

OK, That sounds pretty likely then as it has started cooling off quite a bit at night. Is it often the module itself and NOT the glowplugs? I ordered the plugs but not the module.

The codes are fairly new. I haven't seen these before this late summer. In the spring I did replace the cam position sensor. The CrankPS is cheap enough to replace just in case.

mad max

2005 3500 158" SHC Cargo
Paul Duval? :hmmm:
I've seen do CR at NHMS track days :cheers:

I have a module that was just taken from a T1N that was throwing a CEL for the module and #2 plug. The module was replaced with new one and it still has the same codes so the problem was likely from the plugs which have not been replaced. You're welcome to try it out the old one if you want to see if it makes a difference.

Chris

Paul_E_D

THat's me! Who am I talking to? LOL. Sure, I'd love to try that out. Local, rider, sprinter? I'm puzzled!

mad max

2005 3500 158" SHC Cargo
Chris Aho. mad max on other local moto forums but I've not posted there in a while. I've an '04 Aprilia RSVR Factory now but I'm actually selling it. Might get something motorcycleish to throw in the back of the Sprinter but I mainly got the van to try living in and also do some traveling.

Do you make it to Northampton at all? I work in Chicopee on weekdays.

Paul_E_D

Yeah, I'm in hamp all the time. I have been "living" in my van weekends since I got it. Traveling, surfing, riding, etc. Kicks ass! Let's get together to compare notes.

I replace the crank sensor just because. And I have 2 glowplugs, but I couldn't figure out a graceful way to get the caps off. I didn't want to break them. Any tips out there?

Paul_E_D

OK, well, I replaced the CPS, but I haven't gotten to the glow plugs yet. I still have the intermittent CEL, but this is what's odd. Sometimes it will come on or go out while the van is running. Coming on I can see, but how can it go out while the van is running? I thought it resets itself after 3 starts?

Paul_E_D

OK, WTF, In all of my reading I haven't heard anyone else struggleing to simply get the glow plug caps off. How is this done. I can't get pliers on them, and my fingers don't seem to get enough squeeze on the caps to release their death grip. I can't be the only one. Help.

Paul_E_D

Phew. I fashioned a puller out of a set of pin pliers. I used the 90 degree pin fitting facing each other. Worked like a charm! 2 glow plugs replaced. So far no CEL. We'll see how it goes.

Top Bottom