Engine stalling or limp mode when starting

nahele

My 2005 2500 has been in the shop now over 3 weeks attempting to fix a problem where almost every time I start the van it either starts and putters/shakes until it stalls out or seems fine until you try and accelerate and the tac wont go above 1000 RPMs and speed it limited to about 5 mph. The van had a few braking issues as well so the tech replaced the ABS Control an speed sensors which he said could be related at a cost of $3928. Then he moved on to replacing the entire wiring harness in the van which did nothing. after that they replaced the Oxygen sensor which they told me fixed the problem but when i showed up to drive away it instantly stalled on me. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated as the bill is close to $8,000 and the van is not fixed.

lindenengineering

Well its hard to give you any real tangible direction your post is too vague. Technically speaking that is!.

I can see I suppose a direction with the complete wiring harness due to perhaps a direction the shop is going by condemning the "side harness" from the transmission to the TCM.
Being Siamesed with the chassis harness the transmission section can be unpicked from the insulation and replaced by simple workshop wiring activities. Due to the expense of a chassis harness that is what we do.
Of course it begs the question; did they replace the PCM harness which controls engine activities?

Of course the way i would be approaching it if your van came in on the hook from another shop would be to fully interrogate it with a suitable scanner and then take a fresh look at what is going on.

Sorry I cannot be of any real help the problem could be a multitude of things or sins.
But these types of problems really get my attention , because this is what we do at Linden, fix troublesome vehicles not just Sprinters.
I do draw the line at somethings like Daf Wappendraggers, and Moskovitches and definitely no Trabbies!
Sorry I cannot be of any real help or suggestion
All the best
Dennis

What specific codes are being displayed?

Something simple to check.

I recall that lack of power, but good start and idle can be related to a poor seal in the hose connection from the air box outlet to the turbo inlet. I don't recall the somewhat varying specific symptoms as to T1N vs NCV3 when that condition exists. I'm not on a good enough connection to search.

vic

sailquik

nahele,
What sort of shop is working on your Sprinter?
Authorized MB or Freightliner Sprinter dealer?
Dodge dealer?
An independent shop?
Are they telling you (the customer) what their factory level diagnostics results are?
Have to agree with Dennis..... very hard to do any sort of diagnosis by internet and
even harder to diagnose with out factory level diagnostics to unveil which systems
have the problems.
Roger

nahele

Hi,
It is not reading any codes at this point. It is being repaired by a certified dodge sprinter mechanic. A few other people I have talked said I should look into the fuel pump.

lindenengineering

If there's no codes and the PCM is live then the first indication on ALL Bosch systems no matter gasoline ( pet-rol) or diesel is the crank sensor.

Basically crank sensor kicks the circuits into life, so no crank shaft speed input-- no life-- no codes--It can't see anything--So no startee no workee!
Intermittent signal and the thing runs like a hurdy gurdie.

No crank signal no synchronization with cam sensor--so no injection no workee--Widow Twankie. :laughing:

So first thing is an oscilloscope at the crank sensor or better still at the PCM input socket.
The signal must be a solid no deviating square saw tooth signal.
Your starter for ten!
All the best
Dennis

Top Bottom