My Engine blew (512k miles)

Mike5999

hey forum,
my 2006 sprinter finally gave up, after 9 years of service, 512k miles, its crankshaft broke. i was driving the van doing about 70 mph, and i heard a slight ping, so i decided to pull over. by the time i made it to the shoulder it stalled. i will attach a video of what it sounds like now, and a picture of the crank.
-mike

https://youtu.be/dM4lwEzMM8c

Attachments

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Which cylinder is that? To my eye, the blueing of the crank right across that break would suggest oil pressure/bearing issues is what caused it. Eric's oil pressure gauge mod would have saved that engine I reckon. It would have alerted you to low oil pressure much earlier on, so you could have put in new bearings and/or oil pump before it became an issue.

312d

Which cylinder is that? To my eye, the blueing of the crank right across that break would suggest oil pressure/bearing issues is what caused it. .
that blueing is normal, is the focalized induction heating treatment.

Mike5999

Which cylinder is that? To my eye, the blueing of the crank right across that break would suggest oil pressure/bearing issues is what caused it. Eric's oil pressure gauge mod would have saved that engine I reckon. It would have alerted you to low oil pressure much earlier on, so you could have put in new bearings and/or oil pump before it became an issue.
that is cylinder #1

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Hi Mike.

Sorry for your sprinter woes. Good luck in the rebuild. I agree, rebuild the sucker and drive it for another 500K!

I'm curious to know some background on this vehicle. 512K is a pretty good run although I hear about many folks getting to 800K prior to catastrophic engine failure like this.

Any chance you can educate us on what the vehicle was used for (work with heavy loads, kid hauler, etc?) and whether or not you maintained on a regular schedule with the recommended MB spec fluids? Did you have any kind of ECU tune or chip to increase performance. Was this your vehicle or were other folks driving it. If it was a work truck, did you have workers drive it other than you?

Thanks in advance.

Mike5999

Hi Mike.

Sorry for your sprinter woes. Good luck in the rebuild. I agree, rebuild the sucker and drive it for another 500K!

I'm curious to know some background on this vehicle. 512K is a pretty good run although I hear about many folks getting to 800K prior to catastrophic engine failure like this.

Any chance you can educate us on what the vehicle was used for (work with heavy loads, kid hauler, etc?) and whether or not you maintained on a regular schedule with the recommended MB spec fluids? Did you have any kind of ECU tune or chip to increase performance. Was this your vehicle or were other folks driving it. If it was a work truck, did you have workers drive it other than you?

Thanks in advance.
We're a delivery company. The van would pull loads at the most 4k pounds probably a few times. Year.
From when we bought the van in 2006, we only used shell rotella 15w40. We changed oil ever 5-7k miles. It made its money worth and was a very loyal van.

Shell oil?!?!

Not approved by Mercedes!?!?!?

Oh the horror.

=) Sorry about the motor.
Yep. Good one. :lol:

512,000 miles on a delivery vehicle likely driven by more than one operator.

Kinda like my one sister-in-law blaming her mother dying all on one doctor for taking Mom off her blood pressure meds. She was 98 years old when she was taken off the meds and died before she made it to 99.

I'm at 65 years old and my Sprinter is just over 290,000 miles now. I've used oil not listed/approved on BEVO. When should I start to worry that I'm on borrowed time?

vic

GrampaEd

Thank you for praising your van. It did its' job and paid for itself. What more could you ask for? You should have had a gov-mint write off of about 50+ cents per mile for 512K miles (about$256,000) for the last 9+years on a $35k-$40k van ... soooo what more could you ask from this heartless piece of equipment??? Thank your lucky stars and your tax preparer. If you did not write it off you still have a chance to file a 1040x and re-do your taxes for the last several years and re-claim the write-off........Uncle Sam takes tooo much of our money now; sooo try to get back as much as possible.

Top Bottom