Stripped thread - EGR

Hey guys.... Looks like I've gone and done it now. I stripped one of the threads that holds the EGR to the manifold.

I was thinking to just tap out a new thread. The current is 6mm I believe and I was thinking about increasing it to 7mm..

Would this be okay to do? Or should I be looking to replace the manifold...?

Thanks

lindenengineering

Simply helicoil it!
Both Napa, Advance Auto and Carquest stock the kit in 0.8mm and 1.00 mm pitches.
Remember your friend he is called
K.I.S.S
Dennis

sailquik

Since it's an aluminum manifold, you should be able to put in a 6mm x 1.0 helicoil.
Or better still a 6mm x 1.0 Timesert or KeenSert.
No need to replace the manifold unless there is not material around the stripped
thread to accept the insert.
http://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5546-6-Metric-Coarse-Thread/dp/B0002KKPXK
http://www.amazon.com/TIME-SERT-Metric-Thread-Repair-1610/dp/B001JK802K
http://www.aircraftfast.com/keensert-inserts.htm

Might have a very hard time finding a 7mm tap and bolt.
It's not a very common size.
Roger

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Yes you can tap, doesn't even have to be metric, doesn't have to be Torx head bolt only larger, no need for a new intake manifold

Fixitman

2006 T1N 158in SHR passgr
I had over torqued the bolts in that soft aluminum, while installing an EGR valve. I used a helicoil. It's easy, permanent, and won't strip like tapped threads in the aluminum. Every auto parts store has helicoil kits. My EGR valve is sitting pretty.

NBB

Heli-coil - no brainer.

Consider running a vacuum nearby while you drill and tap - cast Al can make a lot of little chips that get everywhere.

lindenengineering

OK as a tip.
Stuff the intake holes with shop towels or rags.
Then no chips or swarf (English English term) will fall into the manifold NOR maybe a drill bit, thread tap nor errant insert roll in there. Oh Me Gawd the thought!

If overlooked they can cause a dreadful mess of the valves and injector tip if they end up in the cylinder.
Best of luck
Dennis

Colorado_Al

I had the same thing happen and I just went to the best hardware store in the world (McGuckin Hardware in Boulder, CO) and purchased a 7mm stainless allen head bolt. It threaded itself in to the aluminum manifold. Worked great!

Carly

bumping this up to the top anyone have any luck with the timesert intert? Looks like everyone went helicoil. If you use helicoil can you remove the bolt later on to clean or replace egr in future?

The bottom right screw seemed to strip out just slightly so I didn't tighten anymore on my EGR 2003 2.7L Sprinter a couple weeks ago. All others tightened just fine. Engine runs great.

trc.rhubarb

3 of mine are helicoiled. I remove the EGR about every 6 months to clean it.
No problems at all... in fact, not even helicoil but chinese knockoffcoil.
I have all the luck with used vehicles and ham fisted prior owners jamming in any old bolt that they can make fit so i go through many of them between the sprinter and my motos.

Tighten them all and tighten evenly or it will leak eventually.

Top Bottom