Turbo Resonator Removal and Comparison

Re: Resonator Removal and Comparison

I also have concerns over my rear heat in my 2006 passenger, with no rear heat (it does have rear A/C). I have not been in a winter with it yet since I only got it at the beginning of July, but my research into adding rear heat was very frustrating. Most of the kits flat out suck. But after many hours I found my solution,

http://msrheaters.com/1hiout.html

looks like it's perfect. I'll put it in if/when I need it (I'm sure we'll need it here, it gets cold), and will put in my rear 12vDC and 110V A/C outlets at the same time, since I'll already be running power for rear passengers and the portable fridge behind the rearmost seats.

John

rlent

John,

One thing to keep in mind with these type of units is that they are dependent on a warm coolant flow for the heat source - that may not be a problem, depending on where you are and how cold it gets (or doesn't), and whether your intended use is primarily when driving down a highway (when the Sprinter's engine will generate enough heat to steal a little) .... or idling and stop-n-go driving (when it may not)

The OM647 is a pretty cold blooded engine - in my experience, in cold winter weather, the engine runs very cool when idling or in stop-n-go type situations - of course, if you have the heater booster, you can just fire that up and it will keep the coolant warm.

I have the Aux Engine heater so that shouldn't be an issue. But remember ANYTHING is better than nothing back there. If I needed the heat when not running (camping), I'd go Espar.

John

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter

I didn't take any pictures of the interior of the resonator. There are perforations through the tube, within body portion, that is very similar to a muffler. The perforations are all in the same positions for Q4 and Q5.
These are inside shots of my leaking Q3 Turbo Resonator...My Q5 is on its way!

Attachments

sikwan

06 Tin Can

Jack...with the defective Q4, can you wiggle the halves to see if there's indeed an adhesive break?

Was wondering if you filled the seam with some type of RTV, would it fix the leak?

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter

Jack...with the defective Q4, can you wiggle the halves to see if there's indeed an adhesive break?

Was wondering if you filled the seam with some type of RTV, would it fix the leak?
Hi Seek!

As stated in post #24...my second blown Turbo Resonator, installed under warrantee from my local Dodge dealership in early 2007 was a Q3.

Indeed I can see movement and also feel movement with a wiggle, if you like I can fill the 'Bad Apple' with water with intercooler side orifice blocked for the sure-fire test.

IMHO, trying to repair this purely designed seam would be a negative experience.

Please let me know your thoughts...Jack

Last edited:

Hit The Road Jack

2006 Roadhouse Sprinter

Q5 installed in 20 minutes!...the hardest part is securing the 2 torx bolts onto the Resonator mounting arm...:yell:

Prior to the install I contemplated giving the 'Water Test' to the new resonator, I blew through (with my lips acting as a gasket) the turbo end while sealing off the intercooler end instead...no air escaped...:thumbup:...How long this resonator will last?...I have no clue...:idunno:

FWIW, the ECU light remained on after the successful install & test drive...:cry:

miki

Thanks for this awesome forum! I bought a spare resonator just in case as we were traveling to Mexico and I was worried about parts availability there so I got it as a backup. The resonator didn't trouble us then but later when we were in Nevada and 300 miles from the nearest Sprinter dealer. Fixed in about 30-45 minutes. btw, those bolts for it are external Torx bolts. I recommend that if you don't have a short 1/4" open ended wrench then you keep one for this job. I'll never leave home without a wrench and an extra turbo resonator.

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
great thread seek as always:thumbup:,some questions for you ,how did you know the Turbo Resonator was faulty? what were the symptons?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
great thread seek as always:thumbup:,some questions for you ,how did you know the Turbo Resonator was faulty? what were the symptons?
The Q4 was reportedly faulty and I learned about it here in the forum. I checked mine and it was a Q4. It never failed on me, but I didn't want to take any chances on the road while traveling so I changed it to the new Q5.

As I read from others, the van will go into limp mode and will generate a check engine light (p-code). I wonder if a duct tape job around the seam would do the job on temporarily avoiding the limp mode occurrence.

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
thanks for the reply seek, i was wondering sometimes well i think all the time when i accelerate i hear a sound like air or exhaust gases escaping from the underside of my van, it sounds like if you put your hand over the tail pipe to stop the exhaust:thinking:
any ideas?
max.....

Max,
I thought you guys on the other side of the pond didn't have turbo resonators?? Even if you don't I suppose you could still have a leaking hose or charge air cooler. Doktor A mentioned somewhere that leaks in the turbo system can cause extra wear and premature failure of the turbo because it works balls all to make up for the leaking air. It may be worth taking the time to verify if there is a problem. Hope this does some good. vic

rimjaine

rimjaine

After approximately 150 miles of travel the ECU light shut off on its own...:rad:
Howdy,
Thanks for the info, I've driven mine about 75 miles since resealing the resonator seam with JB Weld. So far I still have the check engine light on, with good power indicating that the seal is holding the boost pressure. Guess I should carry the JB Weld in the van in case the seam lets go again.
Seems like they could have found a better sealing glue for the resonator after 5 design changes,
maybe the design changes are for something else.
Later, Jim

Top Bottom