Buying the wrong 4x4: What would you do?

DieselFumes

2015 4x4 2500 170 Crew
OK, now I'm a little skeered. I ordered a custom 4x4 as well. Not from Wilson but a local deaer here in SoCal. I was told it would arrive by "late November" but when I pinged the salesman, got told it was delayed, but now in So Carolina and should be here early Jan '17. Not a real big deal as I'm laid up right now and can't drive no less start working on it.
But after reading this thread in it's entirety (hey, I can't move so nothing else to do) I'm beginning to conjure up some nasty scenarios. I guess I can olny hope the dealer I'm working with is at least straight with me on that.
I did however find out AFTER the purchase that some of the info I got from the dealer wasn't true, like passenger seat fitments do not come on a cargo, and that options can be individually ordered instead of getting a package for one item. Like DF, I was unaware of this forum so I went at it kind of blind. And that's not a deal breaker anyway.
Ah, no, I was VERY aware of this forum before I ordered. That's why I had a specific list of options ordered on the van rather than the default packages.

But if I get a bait switch like DF did, I'll be really pissed. Color is absolutely key as are some of the option packages. Keeping my fingers crossed and have resolved to pester the dealer at least weekly.
Anyway, Nevada Blue, keep me in your seat loop, still interested and D Fumes, sending you a PM re B-ham mtb scene. hope to hear from you guys and all who may have helpfull suggestions.
There have been reports nationwide of delays recently. Rumored to be about recertification of emissions controls for 2017 models. It's more likely that your dealer is just incompetent rather than purposefully evil. Lots of people working in dealerships apparently don't know what options exist on sprinters, don't know how to order said options, and can't use their ordering system to check status.

Hollow Wave

OK, now I'm a little skeered. I ordered a custom 4x4 as well. Not from Wilson but a local deaer here in SoCal. I was told it would arrive by "late November" but when I pinged the salesman, got told it was delayed, but now in So Carolina and should be here early Jan '17. Not a real big deal as I'm laid up right now and can't drive no less start working on it.
But after reading this thread in it's entirety (hey, I can't move so nothing else to do) I'm beginning to conjure up some nasty scenarios. I guess I can olny hope the dealer I'm working with is at least straight with me on that.
I did however find out AFTER the purchase that some of the info I got from the dealer wasn't true, like passenger seat fitments do not come on a cargo, and that options can be individually ordered instead of getting a package for one item. Like DF, I was unaware of this forum so I went at it kind of blind. And that's not a deal breaker anyway.
But if I get a bait switch like DF did, I'll be really pissed. Color is absolutely key as are some of the option packages. Keeping my fingers crossed and have resolved to pester the dealer at least weekly.
Anyway, Nevada Blue, keep me in your seat loop, still interested and D Fumes, sending you a PM re B-ham mtb scene. hope to hear from you guys and all who may have helpfull suggestions.
When you placed your order your dealer should have given you a print out of the order. This print out is exactly what the MB factory is going to receive for your build. What you see on the print out is what your going to get. The dealer cannot randomly add options some have to be included in a package the build on the computer does not allow the dealer to add or subtract as they see fit. Your dealer should also be able to give you a build date once you have this it`s too late to make changes as it takes less than a week to build.

Did you already pay for the van? My dealer did not even ask for a deposit when i placed my order.

Thanks for the hedz up gents. Your info seems to mesh with what happened to me except dealer told me I had about a week to make any changes because after a certain date the van was in build and nothing could change it. He did however tell me it would take 3 months to complete the build, then it would be shipped to the states, re-assembled and delivered to So Cal which would take approx.4 weeks.
I asked about a deposit and initially he said "no", but did give me a printout with all of the options, etc and the MSRP. He contacted me about a week later and said it was my last chance to make changes and at the time I didn't have any. Again I asked about a deposit and he joked that he didn't need one, my build was pretty hot and he'd have no trouble selling it. Don't remember but sometime close to that I insisted on giving a deposit and he did take (I think) $1k of which I have a receipt for on the original build plan.

As mentioned above I pinged him and got the "delayed" email. I then read this thread and it got my wires a little jagged but after hearing from DF and Hollow, I'm feeling more relaxed but I think I'll be a tad more proactive than I have been.

When it came to selecting options, I was pointed to the "build a Sprinter" site by a couple of guys who recently purchased vans. I did just that and took my little print out to a different local dealer and said "hey, can I get this in a month or two?" Not sure who was laughing harder: him when i asked him that or me when he told me " more like 12 to 14 months"
After i stopped crying I looked over what he had on his lot and he did have a nice selection of 4x4's, even one in the color I wanted and a similar build which I could have settled for. But it was sold, and he wouldn't even entertain an offer. I kicked some more tires and found one kinda close but noted to him that it had options I didn't want and asked about removing them or giving me a better deal. He politely told me no on deals as the 4x4's were very hot sales and the MSRP was the only price. Regarding the selective options he alluded that only a dealer could do that and not possible for a consumer. In retrospect, I may have misunderstood that to mean if I wanted to, I could do that through him but not on the consumer site.
I acquiesced, filled out a credit form and took a trip to my bank to see if they could beat Daimler Trucks Finance rates. While I was there I got a call from another dealer(B)I had faxed my print-out to and he tells me he can get me exactly what I want in 3-4 months because he supplies vans to a local up-fitter and has 3 "in the que waiting for build orders". I make the call and go back to dealer A to at least tell him face to face what I'm doing. He was actually a lot cooler than I expected but did go on about other dealers playing bait and switch, etc. and to be careful. If the deal went sideways to come back to him and we'd work something out. Later that day he did send me a text staitn he'd give me a nice chunk off the unit I was looking at.
I continued with dealer B but still crossing my fingers. If for whatever reason it does go south I'll go back to A and start over.

When I contacted dealer B last week, I did offer to pay for the vehicle, reason being to take advantage of the low rate Daimler had. Dealer said I could not purchase a vehicle I wasn't taking delivery off in a certain time span, but the msrp on my sheet was the price. Hopefully I can still find a good rate.

Funny, I think it was dealer A who pointed me here as I was asking about retro fitting some options. Now I know just enough to be dangerous ;)

Anyway, forgive my rant, hopefully it helps some other FNG and saves them time money and head aches!

kendall69

Bottom line, you got owned, and you were used. Dealers are only allocated a certain number of vehicles UNLESS they are custom ordered. SO yours came in and they sold it for a premium. Then they attempted to pawn off a dog to you, knowing you would not take it so they could also see that one for a premium.

Your first mistake is thinking a dealership is remotely honorable, your second mistake is being surprised that their smarmy dealing.

The one good that came out of it was you got a free education.

kendall69

This just gets crazier and crazier!
The idea that a dealer would allow customer test drives in a special order "build and equip" brand new Sprinter is way over the top.
I was notified by my dealer within 15 minutes of the arrival of my 2014 Sprinter on the delivery truck from the VPC in Ladson, SC.
The Sprinter brand manager sent me photos of the Sprinter being unloaded off the truck.
By the end of the day the new Sprinter had been completely "new vehicle prepped" in their Sprinter shop, and I was sent photos of the
Sprinter on the rack with all the wheels off and the partition removed, awaiting my arrival early the next morning to swap the wheels/tires and move my modified partition into the new Sprinter before taking delivery.
The only ones who "drove" my new Sprinter were the guy drove it onto the delivery truck in Ladson, the guy who backed it off the delivery truck in Mechanicsburg, and the Sprinter techs at the dealer who moved it into the shop.
They did take it on a 10 minute test drive before delivering it to me, but that was just to check out all the systems and to run it over their rumble strip/speed bump test track to check for rattles.
When my fav dealer wanted to introduce the new Sprinter 4x4 the area rep brought a 4x4 demo vehicle on a trailer (it was a Netherlands spec Sprinter and could not be driven on USA roads) and we had a 4x4 Sprinter demo day.
Roger
When I ordered a specialty vehicle I put in my contract that I would not accept the vehicle if it had over 5 miles on it. Second I send a SIGN that I demanded be placed in the vehicle upon arrival ( NO TEST DRIVES) . The salmon honored all my request and all was as I expected. :clapping:

Top Bottom