P0471 Exhaust Pressure Sensor Range/Performance

BobG

I cleaned the EGR, cooler and sensors and am now getting a P0471 Exhaust Pressure Sensor Range/Performance code and CEL. Is this the sensor in the exhaust tube that leads to the cooler? I tried clearing the code but it still shows up as pending and lights the CEL on the next startup. Could I have messed up the sensor by spraying it with Mean Green and blowing it off with air?
I'm also getting P0473 code

Last edited:

BobG

I think my Sprinter is jinxed or something!!
It hasn't moved in the past week but has a broken window. I live in the country not within sight of my next neighbor and I have no idea how it happened.
Today I received the exhaust pressure sensor from Mercedes ($80) and installed it. I cleared the codes and the P0471 and P0473 codes are gone. They have now been replaced by the code for the #1 glow plug!!! First it was the EGR, then the exhaust pressure sensor and now another glow plug. # 4,5,and 6 were replaced last year. Every time I fix one problem another pops up.

BobG

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but everything went well today. NAPA had the glow plugs in stock. They were even the Mercedes OEM part. I went ahead and bought 3 since the other 3 were changed last year. The entire job took less than an hour. Now that I have done it I would take even less time. The only thing that was puzzling was how to remove the passenger side engine cover. It snaps off!! And it cost me almost $1000 to get the other 3 replaced at the dealer!! These 3 were $129.49 with tax total..
I erased the old codes and have no new ones...YEAH!! Now if it would only stay that way for a while..
Next week I will resume trying to get the window replaced.
Also..the #1 glow plug that caused the code read as open with an ohmmeter. The other 2 read 2-3 ohms for a couple of seconds and then open. Is this normal? It was as if the voltage from the meter was causing them to operate and then shut off.

superfly2008

my 08 did the same after erg cooler clean. It Threw a P0471 and P0473. It would throw the codes even before starting it. I changed the exhuast pressure diff sensor first and did nothing. Then changed the exhaust pressure sensor A0061536028. dealer had a new number A0091535028. and it's fixed it. i would say when i cleaned the sensor it didnt like simple green. new sener is 71 from the dealer.

bihsprinter2013

my 08 did the same after erg cooler clean. It Threw a P0471 and P0473. It would throw the codes even before starting it. I changed the exhuast pressure diff sensor first and did nothing. Then changed the exhaust pressure sensor A0061536028. dealer had a new number A0091535028. and it's fixed it. i would say when i cleaned the sensor it didnt like simple green. new sener is 71 from the dealer.

Mine is doing the same thing after I cleaned the EGR cooler and put a new EGR valve on my 2013 mercedes sprinter went into limp mpde and is throwing the exhaust back pressure sensor.. going tomorrow to grab the new sensor hopefully does the magic like did to you.

SKhowey

Here's one for the books. I have a 2010 sprinter that keeps fuel fouling the EBP sensor and I have NO.IDEA.why.
ANY help is appreciated.

lindenengineering

Mostly we see two or three things.
Lack of flow through the EGR cooler.
Slight leak on the EGR cossover tube at the cooler '
Diff Pressure sensor reading too high .
Vacuum fault on the EGR flap operating system.
Coolant heater hose dripping coolant or in fact rainwater dripping into the EBP body/socket shorting it out.
Some of this may present codes some do not .
Dennis

SKhowey

Mostly we see two or three things.
Lack of flow through the EGR cooler.
Slight leak on the EGR cossover tube at the cooler '
Diff Pressure sensor reading too high .
Vacuum fault on the EGR flap operating system.
Coolant heater hose dripping coolant or in fact rainwater dripping into the EBP body/socket shorting it out.
Some of this may present codes some do not .
Dennis
Its definitely fuel shorting the EBP sensor and it must be coming in from the exhaust as there is no indication of any external leaks that would foul it and short it the way it has (twice) it reads 45 psi KOEO and also sets a p0471 but i expect that. Now I just need t determine why there's excessive fuel damaging the sensor.

Top Bottom