2003 316cdi diff noise

316cdi

Eric Experience

More likely the centre bearing in the shaft. I would grease it or replace before opening the diff. The diff itself is not that hard, Getting the axle bearings off and back on without damaging the seals is a task.
If you are absolutely sure its the diff pinion just take of the shaft and tighten the pinion nut one flat, if that stops it then your done. Eric.

316cdi

Thanks Eric, yes I changed the centre bearing not long ago and no difference but I will try tightening the pinion nut as you suggest to see if it helps. Cheers.

312d

i search for the preload value on 741.412;741.413;741.414;741,416;741.420;741.428;741.429 rear axles all are 4,1 to 4,5 Nm.
backlash 0,13 to 0,18 mm
there are other rear axle types i do not put here.

316cdi

I tightened the pinion nut slightly but no difference to the whine.

I'm going to do a diff fluid change and have a good look at the internals.

When I give it just enough throttle to not accelerate but also not decelerate it is quiet and also has a whine on acceleration as well, just not as noticeable as when decelerating.

I recently removed a barrier I had between the drivers section and the back of the van, hence the whine is much more noticeable now.

312d

ears to the floor, check before disassembly the center bearing support of the driveline, the tube thing, right now i cant remember the Word, need coffee to crank it.

Reliable

Did you try, just for testing, a heavier viscosity oil in the diff or maybe Moreys Oil Stabiliser? Just to see if anything changes. Is yours manual?

316cdi

It's a Sprintshift so yes manual gearbox and I'll look into different diff fluids.

Centre bearing was changed with no improvement.

316cdi

Diff oil was not too bad as it was changed 2 years ago but there was a thick layer that settled on the bottom that was like metallic paint.
Here are some pics of the diff gears and the last pic shows some of the grey metallic residue.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

Eric Experience

That all looks good. Interesting that it has been apart before. Put a dial gauge against the carrier and measure the end float if any. Eric.

316cdi

It does look good, not much wear at all, I still think the pinion bearing may need replacing as there is a small amount of play in it.
I took the diff cover off on the last fluid change a few years ago hence the silicone gasket.

What would cause a similar whine as a pinion bearing but coming from the gearbox?
I did a gearbox oil change about 18 months ago and noticed the whine was not as loud afterwards.

Last edited:

Eric Experience

If a gear box is noisy the noise will be different in each gear with 4th being silent. If you have no end float in the carrier I would not tear it down, if you can feel float in the pinion then you did not tighten the nut. This may sound a bit technical but noise we hear is transported along the drive train and vibrates the floor so its not that easy to identify. I have a tool called a Chassis EAR it consist of 6 contact microphones that are clamped to the drive train components, makes a positive identification of the source of noise. I still think you should grease your centre bearing.Most centre bearings need grease even new ones every 10 to 20k. Eric.

petfel

My 2003 316cdi ex ambo has been getting a diff whine on deceleration for a while now so I think it's time for a repair, from some research it seems to be a pinion bearing issue so I will be getting a bearing kit for the diff.
Anyone replaced the bearings in their diff and how difficult was the job?

CRAFT DIFFERENTIALS at Holroyd near Parramatta SYDNEY did a good and reasonably priced rebuild on the diff in my 313CDi. These guys are ex-speedway old timers and really know their stuff.

Top Bottom